The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

Right folks, after some food ideas and/or recipes. Looking for nice yet healthy lunches and dinners. I've been on a diet since mid-January and lost 20lbs but I'm starting to get sick of salad, fat free bacon, baked potatoes, low fat stir frys and all the usual stuff you eat when dieting.

So any good, healthy meal ideas would be much appreciated...

• Paid Members
Right folks, after some food ideas and/or recipes. Looking for nice yet healthy lunches and dinners. I've been on a diet since mid-January and lost 20lbs but I'm starting to get sick of salad, fat free bacon, baked potatoes, low fat stir frys and all the usual stuff you eat when dieting.

Cold noodles dressed in thick soy, spring onions and seseme seeds are amazing.

These are more snacks/lunches..

If you can get a wholemeal pitta they are quite nutritious/healthy- fill with roasted veg (aubergine, courgette, red onion)or salad and falafel or chicken and chilli or tahini sauce.

You've perhaps missed the opportunity weather-wise but most soup (as long as it's not creamy/cheesy) can be healthy. You could make your own- noodle miso soup with lean meat/veg for example. I don't need to list examples here as you can pretty much do anything just check recipe websites like BBC.

Wraps (esp wholemeal again) with say prawn, avocado (fatty but good fat) and low-fat mayo. Or similarly fajitas with grilled chicken, salsa and peppers.

Pasta with any of the numerous tomato sauces and veg/lean meat or linguine with smoked salmon, peas and some low fat creme fraiche (this may be pushing it) mixed with lemon

FISH

They are expensive but the Innocent veg pots are pretty fucking ace too (healthy though you'd have to check the fat content on some)- mousakka, mexican bean, sweet chilli

I had another beasting steak tonight. Not quite on the level of the 52 oz challenge, but a beast none the less. In light of the weather gradually returning to its normal state of shitness, me and my mate decided to squeeze a barbie out of what was left of the sun. The mad cunt turned up at my door with some huge rump steaks that were about 25/30 oz and we cooked them up in his garden. Fucking beautiful, even if I did eat mine with no knife! My teeth are sore now

These are more snacks/lunches..

If you can get a wholemeal pitta they are quite nutritious/healthy- fill with roasted veg (aubergine, courgette, red onion)or salad and falafel or chicken and chilli or tahini sauce.

You've perhaps missed the opportunity weather-wise but most soup (as long as it's not creamy/cheesy) can be healthy. You could make your own- noodle miso soup with lean meat/veg for example. I don't need to list examples here as you can pretty much do anything just check recipe websites like BBC.

Wraps (esp wholemeal again) with say prawn, avocado (fatty but good fat) and low-fat mayo. Or similarly fajitas with grilled chicken, salsa and peppers.

Pasta with any of the numerous tomato sauces and veg/lean meat or linguine with smoked salmon, peas and some low fat creme fraiche (this may be pushing it) mixed with lemon

FISH

They are expensive but the Innocent veg pots are pretty fucking ace too (healthy though you'd have to check the fat content on some)- mousakka, mexican bean, sweet chilli

All very good advice, I'm doing the whole weight loss shenanigans too at the moment (30lbs in 6 weeks so far) and one thing I can recommend is using veg to bulk up things you cook and use less meat. For instance now when I make Chilli I use less mince and more peppers & beans to bulk it up. Same with Cottage pie, less mince and more carrots, peas and onion. You can buy those big bags of Farmfoods frozen chicken breasts as well, while not the best quality they taste just fine and are good for a little portion control.

If you get the extra light version of Tesco's own soft cheese this is a good basis for cheesy creamy pasta sauces, might even be lighter than creme fraiche (but don't quote me on that).