The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

My nan got us a slow cooker a couple of years ago for Christmas. I use it loads more in winter than in the warmer months but it's brilliant for putting on, going to work & then only having to do a bit of veg or a side dish when you get in. My faves are to stick in a shoulder of lamb, rubbed in Moroccan spices, some onions, dried apricots, peppers & chick peas then just knock up some couscous or pork in cider, any slow cooked meat's a winner for me, worth noting that the cider (or wine/any boozey sauces) wont 'cook off' as the temp wont get high enough to get rid of the alcohol. I usually take out all the cider & meat juices, pour into a pan to cook it out

• Paid Members

Any cheap bit of meat that needs long cooking time will go well in a slow cooker. I get some cheap braising beef and put it in the slow cooker with some guiness, bay leaves, and a bit of stock. Once it's cooked I use it for steak pies, freezing into individual portions so I just need to defresot it while I'm at work, put a case on the top and it's done in half an hour.

My nan got us a slow cooker a couple of years ago for Christmas. I use it loads more in winter than in the warmer months but it's brilliant for putting on, going to work & then only having to do a bit of veg or a side dish when you get in. My faves are to stick in a shoulder of lamb, rubbed in Moroccan spices, some onions, dried apricots, peppers & chick peas then just knock up some couscous or pork in cider, any slow cooked meat's a winner for me, worth noting that the cider (or wine/any boozey sauces) wont 'cook off' as the temp wont get high enough to get rid of the alcohol. I usually take out all the cider & meat juices, pour into a pan to cook it out…thicken the gravy then put back into the slow cooker before serving.

On my one, if you put it up to the highest setting, it does reduce sauce down fairly happily.

But, yeah, they're ace aren't they?

I did the worst BBQ ever as the end to my summer of ace barbecues. I dug out the last of our burgers from the freezer and the last burger buns. About 1/3 of the way through cooking them, my gas cannister ran out of gas; I had to finish the burgers off under the grill and they came out pretty badly. Add to that all the burger buns had got freezer burn, the overall effect was terrible. I guess I'll be packing the barbie away now, and getting out the slow cooker :)

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I don't think I've ever had mine on full whack as (as mentioned) we usually only use it when we're out at work. But I'd totally recommend them, especially if you want to eat well but don't have the inclination to get in from work & do a lot of 'cooking'. Alternatively, as Si mentioned above, if you're on a budget you can get some really cheap cuts from the butcher & they'll still be meltingly tender when they're done.

If I'm doing braising steak I usually chop a couple of kidneys & stick them in with. They'll be completely broken down by the time it's finished but will leave you with a blinding tasting gravy.

One recipe we perfected over the summer was doing belly pork in the slow cooker (after marinating for about 48 hours in the fridge in a wicked sauce) and then finishing it by searing it on the bbq for about 1/2 hour until the fat goes crispy. Fucking amazing, but by far the most complicated thing I've ever done food-wise.