The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Oh you absolute gent. I'm going to be all over this recipe.

Taking a slightly related route onto Jewish food (via knishes). You don't really hear much about Jewish cuisine over here, I'd imagine you might get a bit more over in NY? I went to a Jewish engagement party a few years ago they served a lot of traditional Jewish snacks- they were bloody lovely. A lot of things similar to falafel I think.

• Paid Members

I knew a good amount about Jewish food, long before I moved. Cynthia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food is waaaay slanted toward sephardic food (but then, that's her background), although there are lots of nice ashkenazi recipes too, and that's what most people know as Jewish food.

There are mountains of jewish places here - I think that's the reason that sandwiches in general kick the arse off of the shite back home. My favorite treat is to order in some (non-kosher) stuff from Sarge's and fill my belly - last time, I had their combination tongue/corned beef/brisket sanger, "souper" chicken soup (with matzo balls and kreplach), and a deli wellington, which is a mix of potato, onion, and corned beef (the yank kind) - all topped off with a celery soda.

They eat it in Wigan. It's dead nice.

Preston too. You can get pretty good ones at Deepdale.

Butter Pies, seem to be a staple up here. You can tell a shit chippy as to how poor their butter pies are by all accounts.

I'm still searching, in vain for a chippy up here that does Battered Sausage in 'bubbly' batter as opposed to the hard as nails crispy shite. That's if they do them at all :(

• Paid Members
Ah, thanks for the thought, but no need to bother yourself with that - very kind of you though.

I'm in holborn every few weeks with work, I could open my own pie stall when I'm down.

• Paid Members
Ah, thanks for the thought, but no need to bother yourself with that - very kind of you though.

I'm in holborn every few weeks with work, I could open my own pie stall when I'm down.

There's a cracking pie show around there, actually - I don't remember the name something like the square pie?

Carbomb (and other Londoners), ever make it to Manze's in Chapel Market? Pies aren't that good, peas and eels are better. They're in Peckham and somewhere like Tower or London Bridge, too.

• Paid Members
I knew a good amount about Jewish food, long before I moved. Cynthia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food is waaaay slanted toward sephardic food (but then, that's her background), although there are lots of nice ashkenazi recipes too, and that's what most people know as Jewish food.

There are mountains of jewish places here - I think that's the reason that sandwiches in general kick the arse off of the shite back home. My favorite treat is to order in some (non-kosher) stuff from Sarge's and fill my belly - last time, I had their combination tongue/corned beef/brisket sanger, "souper" chicken soup (with matzo balls and kreplach), and a deli wellington, which is a mix of potato, onion, and corned beef (the yank kind) - all topped off with a celery soda.

Now wait a second - there's plenty of great Jewish food over here, it's just a bit different from NYJ food is all. You can get awesome salt beef (is that corned beef in NY?) at Madison's, Selfridges, and until last year, you could get the best stuff at The Nosh Bar on Great Windmill St. Hit Golders Green or Stamford Hill, and you can easily get the best latkas, pickles, rollmops, lox and what-have-you.

What dishes are specifically Sephardic, though? Most London Jews are Ashkenazi, I think.

You should, I'd be a customer, I reckon. But you'd have to sell rowies too. And stovies, just so I could find out what they are. (I'm guessing pies are bridies.)

• Paid Members

There's a cracking pie show around there, actually - I don't remember the name something like the square pie?

Carbomb (and other Londoners), ever make it to Manze's in Chapel Market? Pies aren't that good, peas and eels are better. They're in Peckham and somewhere like Tower or London Bridge, too.

I find for Cockney food, it really is better to hit the East End or south-east. There's a place in near Shoreditch/Brick Lane which I've only ever been able to find when drunk which does some of the best pease pudding and saveloys I've ever tasted - and I normally can't stand that kind of stuff.

• Paid Members

There's a nice (although slightly inauthentic) place just off of Oxford Street that does deli food. I miss the Nosherie in Farringdon - 24 hour kosher place. Also, there is a petition to save Gaby's on Charing Cross Road, it's probably going to be a victim of the rape of that area.

Yeah, corned beef is salt beef. It's named for the "corns" of salt.

Sephardic food is much more spiced, less bland and comfort foodie than East European. Basically, it's every else, so it could be Indian, Ethopian, or anything really. One of my favorite things is the couscous, but that's more just kosher north African.

• Paid Members
There's a nice (although slightly inauthentic) place just off of Oxford Street that does deli food. I miss the Nosherie in Farringdon - 24 hour kosher place. Also, there is a petition to save Gaby's on Charing Cross Road, it's probably going to be a victim of the rape of that area.

Yeah, corned beef is salt beef. It's named for the "corns" of salt.

Sephardic food is much more spiced, less bland and comfort foodie than East European. Basically, it's every else, so it could be Indian, Ethopian, or anything really. One of my favorite things is the couscous, but that's more just kosher north African.

Gaby's is really good, but if it's a victim of anything, it's of itself - they've been ridiculously over-priced for years. My dad, back when he was working at a book distributor company, used to take me on trips around Charing Cross Road while he was dropping off stock, and we'd often stop off at Gaby's for a salt beef in pitta, but a few years later, he stopped going because it was expensive. I didn't know just how expensive until I started at uni and had money of my own.

• 1 month later...