The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Question for any Scots out there:

I remember a while back, someone (think it might have been SiMania, but wouldn't swear to it) explained to me that Scotch pies, i.e. the kind you eat at fitba, weren't meant to be eaten by themselves, you were supposed to eat them with something else, and in a very different manner to how one normally eats them. Obviously, that post is probably not around any more, so could anyone oblige?

• Paid Members

I remember a while back, someone (think it might have been SiMania, but wouldn't swear to it) explained to me that Scotch pies, i.e. the kind you eat at fitba, weren't meant to be eaten by themselves, you were supposed to eat them with something else, and in a very different manner to how one normally eats them. Obviously, that post is probably not around any more, so could anyone oblige?

I eat my scotch pies with beans. Once cooked and fairly crusty I take the lid off and spoon in the beans and mix about. After eating a few mouthfuls I put in more beans and mix about and repeat until no filling is left, I'm then left with a nice crusty pie case with a light coating of bean sauce, the best bit IMHO.

Different towns have different recipes for their pies. I like Knox and finnie's in Johnstone whenever I'm up there but Francis's in annan is my local baker.

Forget scotch pies from the supermarket. They're rank rotten.

• Paid Members

I eat my scotch pies with beans. Once cooked and fairly crusty I take the lid off and spoon in the beans and mix about. After eating a few mouthfuls I put in more beans and mix about and repeat until no filling is left, I'm then left with a nice crusty pie case with a light coating of bean sauce, the best bit IMHO.

Different towns have different recipes for their pies. I like Knox and finnie's in Johnstone whenever I'm up there but Francis's in annan is my local baker.

Forget scotch pies from the supermarket. They're rank rotten.

That's me screwed, then. I live in London - can only get them from supermarkets, I think. Have had a butcher's at the local butchers, but none seem to have them. Only local bakers are Turkish, who make awesome fresh sesame bread and Turkish savoury pastries, but very little in the way of traditional British stuff.

• Paid Members
Yeah that's a nice place. There is a Brewdog in Manchester now but haven't tried it yet. You might also like, if you haven't already, Font Bar, or Cask Bar, there is a chippy next door to Cask and you can bring your chippy tea in with you.

If you are up Chorlton way, there are loads of bars you'd like, Pi being the pick of the bunch.

For food in Chinatown, I tried Hunan a few weeks ago and it was the best one in Chinatown I've been in. It was packed and we were the only Westerners in there, that's a good sign!

Been in Brewdog a couple of times now, absolutely love their beers. Cask Bar looks good too, cheers for that. I've made a note of Hunan. Always a bit of a risk in Chinatown as there's so much choice I never know which is best, we usually go to 'The Pacific' (I think) but I'll deffo give this a whirl next time.