The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I like my pies like this but with tomato sauce instead of brown:

2188920573_4d672b58b5.jpg

Oh my god, that looks hideous.

I MUST TRY IT.

• Paid Members

UPDATE: Been doing a bit of Googling, and it seems Morrisons stock fresh, hot ones at their deli counters. Other than that, short of ordering them over the internet, the only place to find decent ones are in Fortnum & Masons. Made with venison.

Apparently some place in Euston sells them frozen, but I don't trust that sort of thing.

• Paid Members
Question for any Scots out there:

I remember a while back, someone (think it might have been SiMania, but wouldn't swear to it) explained to me that Scotch pies, i.e. the kind you eat at fitba, weren't meant to be eaten by themselves, you were supposed to eat them with something else, and in a very different manner to how one normally eats them. Obviously, that post is probably not around any more, so could anyone oblige?

I eat my scotch pies with beans. Once cooked and fairly crusty I take the lid off and spoon in the beans and mix about. After eating a few mouthfuls I put in more beans and mix about and repeat until no filling is left, I'm then left with a nice crusty pie case with a light coating of bean sauce, the best bit IMHO.

Different towns have different recipes for their pies. I like Knox and finnie's in Johnstone whenever I'm up there but Francis's in annan is my local baker.

Forget scotch pies from the supermarket. They're rank rotten.

That's me screwed, then. I live in London - can only get them from supermarkets, I think. Have had a butcher's at the local butchers, but none seem to have them. Only local bakers are Turkish, who make awesome fresh sesame bread and Turkish savoury pastries, but very little in the way of traditional British stuff.

• Moderators

I MUST TRY IT.

Ever had a butter pie then? That's tremendous on a bap.

• Paid Members

I MUST TRY IT.

Ever had a butter pie then? That's tremendous on a bap.

Never heard of it - what's in it? Obviously butter, but it can't ALL be butter, no?

Hm?

Stupid iPhone, I was saying I passed my bakers this morning on the way to London so I could've brought some with me :)

Ah, thanks for the thought, but no need to bother yourself with that - very kind of you though.

• Paid Members

It's a flaky pastry (when I've made them with, the recipe had cream cheese in the pastry), with the most common fillings being potato and onion (the classic), spinach, and kasha (bulgar wheat).

This is the shit hottest place to pick them up, in many flavors. I tend to get the bus there on Saturdays, get some, then go about my business.