Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I've returned from my protracted (and presumably unnoticed) absence from the board, caused by a knackered laptop and subsequent holiday. Unfortunately while I was away Horton's illness took a drastic turn for the worse and my folks, who were looking after him for me, had no option but to put him down. To say I'm distraught would be an understatement. Tonight's my first night with the parents gone and the girlfriend not here and the house feels horribly empty and lifeless. Can't quite get my head around the fact that he's not going to come careening into the front room and jump on me.

But fuck being maudlin', he was the best dog in the qorld and I want to remember that, so here's some pics, most of which you'll probably have seen before. Indulge me.

1010979_10201316611259206_1111025098_n.jpg

934742_10201140450815305_1352047443_n.jpg

321377_10200901121552223_224015564_n.jpg

59264_10200820330612500_943947033_n.jpg

378126_2965345374601_224988329_n.jpg

320762_2312828142078_8340816_n.jpg

206238_1042152695986_5638_n.jpg

• Paid Members

I was wondering the other day how he was doing. Horton was a damn handsome lad, who looked like he was looked after and loved completely. Take solace in the fact that you obviously gave him a wonderful, happy life.

• Paid Members
That's the worst thing about pets, they fucking die

Aye, the heartbreak is the price you pay for having them as family members. My girls are two and three so I'd like to think I've got a decade or more before having to confront it. Condolences to you, PV - he looks to have been a top dog.

Thanks for the kind words folks. I shied away from putting anything on FB about it because there's nothing worse than 100 people popping up offering half-arsed comments and condolences, plus it looks like making a big deal of things. It seemed more appropriate mentioning it on here though as he'd been discussed before and people had taken an interest. So again, cheers everyone. For all its faults, this board produces some niceness now and again, doesn't it? And usually from the same lovely group of people. There needs to be another love thread.

As for right now, I'm wondering how long I'll last before getting another pet. I decided not to do so for at least a year or so, preferably until I've moved, as this house isn't ideal for a dog (plus according to the contract I'm not allowed one- keeping Horton a secret was a bloody nightmare) and I'm not home enough at the mo to do a good job of raising another one. At the same time though, I can't imagine living without a dog. A friend of mine lost his dog last year and vowed not to get another. 3 months later he'd picked up a long-legged Jack Russell. He's a gardener though, so can keep the dog with him all day every day. The sensible thing is to wait I suppose.

Also, and this is a bit of an odd one, but I have no clue what to do with Horton's ashes. I don't particularly want them on the mantel for people to comment on all the time, but I don't want to scatter them anywhere yet. As of now, they're sitting in my spare room, wrapped in the Tshirt of mine my mum gave him to snuggle while he was put to sleep.