Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hey,

What's up jerks and jerkettes... I am strongly considering getting a new dog. I really miss it, and I am in a position to be able to take care of one again for the first time in a long time. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

I would like to get a small to mid sized dog, but not one that is really yappy and annoying. I've some quite cute Staffys about, and they are of course one of the more popular breeds to find at rescue shelters so I would consider one of them. I think pugs are fucking amazing, but I know they have a lot of health problems. Those puggles are really cool as well. But yeah.. I'm not likely to go out and drop loads of cash on a designer puppy when there's plenty of dogs that need a good home out there. That said, I don't really want to get a dog that is much more than a year old, and obviously the younger the better.

I know it's probably just a case of cruising the rescue places until I find a dog I like that needs rehoming but whatever. Just throwing this out there more because I'm excited about it than anything else but I guess someone might have some useful tips for me, or just sell me on any particular breeds (that even might just should be up in the mix, even in a cross or mongrel).

Merlin's Magique doesn't still post here does she?

I'd add that if you've really got plenty of time to devote to settling the dog in and spending time with it, consider getting a slightly older dog. Pups get snapped up quickly from rehoming places, but the older dogs can get left there for ages as people are more reticent to take them. They'll be more set in their ways, and if it's been badly treated it'll take longer to earn its trust, but definitely a great thing to do.

• Paid Members

I'd say it all depends on how you plan on looking after it, Chest.

Dogs from shelters or people who don't want them anymore can often have issues that either take ages to crease out or don't leave at all. Stuff like them not liking specific genders, being bad with kids, medical problems, untrained, etc. If you want a dog you're looking to train from scratch and not encounter as many problems with, you'd be best buying a new pup from a breeder. Even if the breeder is obviously shit and just in it for quick money, if the pup is young enough then there shouldn't be any issues.

I'd say it also depends on where you live. If you plan on taking the dog out for long walks over fields or woods, etc then I'd definitely go for something like a Border Terrier or a Jack Russell (though those are the two breeds I'd go for by default anyway). If you plan on it being indoors for long periods of time and only getting short walks through the the streets then you might be better with a breed that has less energy. Also some breeds take better to other dogs and kids, if there's many of those around.

Here's some photos of my dog taken over the last couple of days. She's 2 and 1/2, and is a 3/4 Border Terrier, 1/4 Jack Russell cross. She's just fantastic.

misty2.jpg

misty1.jpg

I'm sure Butch will be in here to big up Jack Russells too. If you plan on long walks or energetic trips to the park, and want a breed that is friendly, easy to train, and fairly free of genetic issues, then a Border or Jack is definitely the dog you should get. I wouldn't get a Staffy, but that's just because I've never came across one I liked.

Edited by TripleA

• Moderators

I wouldn't say that I have "loads" of time, Pihlo.. But I'm definitely in a position that it's viable to get a dog again. I'm not working at the minute, so I'll be able to take quite a bit of time at the beginning to help the dog settle in, and then when I do start working again, I'm living where there's a lot of family about so the dog'll not have to spend too much time on their own. But at the same time I don't want to make loads of work for other people.

Also, I'm not living in town anymore so I've got a decent sized garden and plenty of good places around to go walking.

That said about the fields and that, I don't want a dog that needs too much exercise, because I know I can be a bit lazy on that front! One of the main reasons I want to go for a smaller dog, actually.

What breeds don't need too much exercise?

Also, have decided that I want to get a girl. Not had a girl dog before. Anything I need to know?

Back to the issue of settling / getting a rescue dog - as long as they're not a real bad problem case I'm confident in my ability and the time I have to turn them around. One of my best mates is a professional dog trainer, and he lives about 10 minutes up the road. I would like one that's gonna be alright with kids though.

I'm seeing my mate on Thursday, so I'm sure he'll be able to fill me in with some more useful knowledge then...

• Paid Members
I wouldn't say that I have "loads" of time, Pihlo.. But I'm definitely in a position that it's viable to get a dog again. I'm not working at the minute, so I'll be able to take quite a bit of time at the beginning to help the dog settle in, and then when I do start working again, I'm living where there's a lot of family about so the dog'll not have to spend too much time on their own. But at the same time I don't want to make loads of work for other people.

Also, I'm not living in town anymore so I've got a decent sized garden and plenty of good places around to go walking.

That said about the fields and that, I don't want a dog that needs too much exercise, because I know I can be a bit lazy on that front! One of the main reasons I want to go for a smaller dog, actually.

What breeds don't need too much exercise?

Also, have decided that I want to get a girl. Not had a girl dog before. Anything I need to know?

Back to the issue of settling / getting a rescue dog - as long as they're not a real bad problem case I'm confident in my ability and the time I have to turn them around. One of my best mates is a professional dog trainer, and he lives about 10 minutes up the road. I would like one that's gonna be alright with kids though.

I'm seeing my mate on Thursday, so I'm sure he'll be able to fill me in with some more useful knowledge then...

I've mainly had girl dogs, and my relatives have. I've had two boys though. In my experience, girls are less fuss toilet training. I'm not saying they train any easier/harder depending on sex (though they might), but males are more likely to piss on your furniture or possessions as they cock their legs up when they piss. Females just tend to squat in place.

Females though are a pain during heat, leaving manky blood stains on furniture and the carpet, etc. They're also miserable during it, and will hump pillows and stuff, leaving stains again. Getting them done is a great option to stop this, and according to our vet if you get them done early it completely erases the risk of breast cancer during old age. That may have just been for my breed though, so I'd look into that. It's a double edged sword though, as when they get done it leaves them prone to becoming fat, so you need to walk them more often and/or stick to a stricter diet with less treats. I'm sure you'll agree though that not getting cancer and not leaving stains everywhere is a better option than putting on a bit of podge.

On the case of dogs that don't need as much exercise, I would say Greyhounds, and more yappy breeds that you see old people with. This link might be more useful though, but I'm not sure how much of it is facts. http://listverse.com/2007/12/21/top-10-dogs-for-lazy-owners/

Also this one http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/exerciselow.htm

Edited by TripleA

• Paid Members

We're a cat household. We'd quite happily have cats and dogs (Westies in particular, though I'm partial to Cavaliers too) but there's no chance because of allergies. My other half has a really severe cat allergy too, but our girls are a relatively hypoallergenic breed and we get by with a little bit of help from HEPA filters.

Heidi:

The original and best, with a perfect temperament complementing those astounding looks. With hindsight we should've bred from her.

429698_10150725657885943_1243198051_n.jpg

Pebbles:

Little bastard seems to have cost me the chance of any more cats. She's put my missus right off getting any more "in case they turn out like Pebbles". She's fairly typical - contemptuous of everyone else, only really interested in anything on her own terms.

301067_10150845937095112_1011639469_n.jpg

Horton (who knows very well that the bedroom is off limits) claims the bed for himself on Sunday. The little fucker.

Love the miserabe face while his tail is wagging ten to the dozen!

Yeah, bassets are like that. You get to realise pretty quick that they're usually happy despite the glum expression. At this point he was so ecstatic at being ON THE BED!!!! I thought he was going to piss himself.