Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• Moderators

Wondering what our pets are called and why they are called what they are? I reckon me and Philo have the best names. Dog and Horton respectively.

Dog comes from the Adrian Mole book and the fact that his Dog was called Dog, and his second dog was called New Dog.

Mine are incredibly geeky:

Jaina's full name is: Lady Jaina Proudmoore (of Warcraft fame) and Rikku is off final fantasy 10.

some of my rats were named similarly too, With Cloud (ff7 ofc) Twitch (league of legends) and of course then there was tiny:

406346_10151984761270594_236853916_n.jpg

He never grew fur, stayed about half the size of other full grown rats i've had and had red eyes, this photo was actually taken on the day I had to have him put down (he had a cancerous lump on one side of his face, which we treated him for daily for months before it finally beat him, such a brave strong little thing i'll always have such a soft spot for him)

Having got him to take his meds, Horton has picked up again. Currently worrying a pig's ear in front of me. He seems pretty content with being inactive at the moment, as long as he's got a bit of company. So I'm drinking at home rather than in town for a while.

That rat is very sweet. I used to have rats myself, miss them a lot.

Edit: Further to Butch's post, he's named after The Reverend Horton Heat.

Edited by Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

My missus just got a couple of rats. They're absolutely lovely, if terrifyingly quick when we've got them out of the cage. They're called Miggley and Mog, named after Miggley Mog, a fictional frog that her dad used to make up stories about when her and her sister were little. Nonsensical, but rather sweet.

• Paid Members

Rikku looks particularly stunning in your pictures, Chris. I particularly like the white tufts in her main. Is she a Norwegian Forest Cat?

Here's my big girl, Heidi Honeycoat:

heidi.jpg.a703cc5ee0a45fa59200e3740220000f.jpg

The first part of her name came after we'd had her a few days and had barely seen any of her, because she was (and remains) extremely timid and did everything she could to stay out of sight. I put a photo of her on Facebook and asked friends for suggestions, since Ronette had originally wanted to call her Marmalade, thinking that she was redder than she actually is, and I didn't like her proposed alternative, Butterscotch. Among brilliant suggestions such as Weapon X and Stamina Force came some advice from a friend to "spend some time with her, get an idea of her personality, and then you'll know". I responded that if I took that approach now, then she'd be called Hide-y. The bulb went off and she got her name, the second part because I liked the alliteration and it got in Ronette's original idea to name her after something that one spreads on toast.

Here's our little one, Pebbles Pepperpot, the little bastard trying to help me out whilst I was preparing to take some promo shots of a friend's book:

pebbles.jpg.f8c9d23af336997a7b23c2f4c267a32e.jpg

She was originally going to be called Poppy Pepperpot, until we picked her up. She was good for the first 30 minutes, then spent the following three and a half hours of the drive home crying at Ronette to let her out to play. She was so persistent that she blew her voice out and didn't get it back for a few months. Anyway, watching her demand to go into every room of the house despite the presence of a big cat who didn't want her there, charging and careening all over the place, battering her toys recklessly, it became clear that a soft name like Poppy wasn't going to work. We gave it some thought and then picked up that if she were human she'd be coming home with cuts and bruises on her knees, no doubt skidding on concrete and whatnot, and so Pebbles seemed an obvious name to give her. It fits her perfectly, though I tend to cut it down to Pebsi more often than not.

Dave: I hope your big boy is feeling better soon, mate. I share the earlier sentiments that it's horrible knowing that your pets are in pain and don't understand why. Good luck!

Edited by Ronnie
Image links had expired.

• Paid Members

Both gorgeous, Ronnie, especially Pebbles. I know it's a death-penalty offence to like cats round here, but I've come around on them in the last few years. Still prefer dogs, though, because I generally like to be the most pretentious and aloof thing in a given room.

• Paid Members
Both gorgeous, Ronnie, especially Pebbles.

Thanks, fella. Heidi tends to be better looker usually. She takes care of her appearance and doesn't require any help from me, whereas Pebsi's too busy getting into mischief to think about grooming herself and so has a few knots that I didn't catch in time to comb out of her.

Here's Heidi doing her "I'm a looker" thing:

429698_10150725657885943_1243198051_n.jpg

Still prefer dogs, though, because I generally like to be the most pretentious and aloof thing in a given room.

We get the best of both worlds in that their breed (Siberian) exhibits several traits reminscent of dogs'. You get the waiting by the window for you to come home and charging to the door to say hello, playing fetch, coming when called, standing on hind legs to tap my arm because they want a head rub, and so on.

We'd like to get a dog too. I've spoken with other people who have dogs and Siberians and they say there's no problem with integration, at least with the right sort of dog. Ronette's favourites are Westies (which I also love) although I'm a bit concerned that a terrier might get taken over by prey-drive if something the cats' size runs away from them. I love King Charles Spaniels (especially the black and tan variety) and someone I know who's got two of them and two Siberians says they complement each other perfectly, so we might need to look into that. We've started walking for 90 minutes every night (when the weather's OK), so I think a dog wouldn't necessitate any change in routine.

I had to get my rabbit put to sleep a few weeks ago.Whilst i was away offshore she had gotten a parasite under her skin, and she literally just shrunk. My fiancee noticed she stopped eating the day before i came home, and when i checked her, her legs were basically paralysed.She could barely crawl to her bowl. So i piled some food up right in front of her and hand fed her( it was late at night) and first thing in morning the vet put her to sleep. Was fucking heartbreaking. Had her for about 5 years and she got out often to run about. I held her while she died, and not ashamed to admit i had a good bubble about it.....She is buried in my garden with 2 ornamental rabbits on top for company....

Looking to get a Horsefield Tortoise soon....

Those Cats look great BTW...Cracking pets..

• Paid Members

Here's my dog. He's blind, has lumps of gristle all over him, a tumour like thing on his back which kicks up a right stink if we don't keep on top of it and a limp if he walks to far after he walked off a ledge and fell to the beach on a holiday. He spends most of his day asleep now but even with all that he still gets up to greet me when I get in and makes me smile as he sneaks in to see me in a morning for a quick kip on my bed.

NiqagfS.jpg

yZd7aCb.jpg

• Paid Members

Jesus, that's a heck of a sob story he's got! Surely you can get him on a gossip mag cover with all that.

Few more of the rats, from their brilliant customised home-made playpen (a box with extra cardboard stuck on because they nearly jumped clean out the first time):

971310_10200917125231664_1323587644_n.jpg

248321_10200917126311691_191326668_n.jpg

179154_10200917126831704_417745309_n.jpg

180274_10200917127151712_679046307_n.jpg

• Paid Members
Jesus, that's a heck of a sob story he's got! Surely you can get him on a gossip mag cover with all that.

It's sort of negated by the slighter titter I give when he walks into the door every time I let him out.

Every fucking time.