Post a pic('s) of your pet thread

ajmcstyles

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as my boy's not well. Been really sluggish and no enthusiasm for walks the last couple of days, and suddenly yelped in pain last night. Kept an eye on him overnight and he was still the same so we took him to the vet this morning (bank hol consultation fees are a fucker). Vet couldn't really examine him too well, as he's a bit of a shit at the vets at the best of times and clearly in a lot of pain today. We're 99% certain that he's got a slipped disc in his back though, so it's anti-inflammatories and painkillers and rest for now. If that fails, it's spinal surgery in London. Can't bear seeing him in so much pain, it's horrible. And he's currently refusing to eat the food with the painkillers mixed in.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, here's Horton:

321377_10200901121552223_224015564_n.jpg

Poor Horton, hope he gets well soon.

Cheers chaps. Hopefully rest and meds will help and surgery won't be necessary yet. Just need to keep him still and stop him making it worse. It's a good job it all happened when my parents were visiting so we had transport to the vet.

Thanks mate! I just got home again from being out for a few hours and he seems stronger still, even before today's dose of meds, so I'm pretty hopeful. The only thing is from now on, even if he seems fine, we know how weak his back is with this apparent degenerative disorder, so no more steps, steep slopes or sprinting about, ever. It's going to be a huge change for him, but right now I'm just made up to see him trotting round the garden looking like his old self.

• Paid Members

Apologies for my thickness but what breed is your dog Philo? He's awesome. I've seen them before obviously but I always forget names of breeds. Glad to hear the medication is helping.

My Mom's golden retriever is getting on now and her hips are playing up, which I hear is quite common with retrievers. She has trouble getting about and it's sad to see because only a year or two ago she was full of energy. We've had her from a puppy and she's 11 now. I'm dreading the phone call when she finally goes.

He's a basset hound. Basically a dwarf bloodhound. People always think of them as small dogs because they're low to the ground, but he's about 5 stone, very strongly muscled and on his hind legs can put his feet right up on my torso. They're prone to back issues just by virtue of being so long combined with such a lot of weight to carry, so we always knew we might have to deal with this one day. I never thought too hard before getting him about the fact that certain breeds are more prone to certain illnesses than others, because it seemed a long way in the future, but watching him suffer the last few days has been horrible. A lot of people question how much inbreeding goes on with pedigree dogs for this reason, and having been in tears multiple times the last few days watching him, I'm starting to agree. Like I said I'm just so glad he's even halfway back to being his old self.

• Moderators
He's far more mobile and happy today, the anti inflammatory seems to be working wonders. Looks like we should be able to manage the condition without surgery. It's so good seeing him pottering about with his tail wagging again.

My heart sank a bit when I saw the thread had been bumped with a post by you. I dreaded the worst. Glad that wasn't the case.

Well, he's still not well. Even in the hour since my last post I can see the drugs starting to wear off and he looks sluggish and in pain. It's time for his next dose now, but because he's in pain, he doesn't want to eat. But he can't have these anti-inflammatories unless he eats with them. It's all a bit of a nightmare. He's sitting in the kitchen now with his back leg shaking from the pain.

• Paid Members

It's horrible when dogs are feeling like that. They can't tell you what they need you to do to help them, and they just look at you in that heartbreaking, helpless way. Really hope the meds kick in for him properly, feeling it for you.

I hate it when animals are in pain, they just don't seem to understand it at all. At least if it's a human you can say: 'yo, it's a slipped disc, lie down for a while and take these painkillers, it should get better!'

anyways saw this thread and any excuse to show off my beautiful girls:

156917_10152311746780594_671511006_n.jpg

Their names are Jaina (furthest away) and Rikku (closest), They're sisters but a litter apart, Rikku is ofc the youngest. In this picture they were both very young, they've grown a few months since ^^

224172_10152277192395594_170830457_n.jpg

Rikku at the time

and then Jaina outside looking elegant as fuck:

534324_10152080145300594_151663108_n.jpg

Pretty sure i didn't post any of the cat pics before.