NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I thought I'd be the only one, he was'nt bad but not great like I expected, his look and ring gear is quite underwelming he needs to stand out, but these are things that can be sorted.

I know most wont agree but WWE could really benifit from a Cruiserweight style title and division, Hideo, Devitt, Kidd, Cara, Kalisto, Adrian, Zayn etc would be a great division, I know thats pretty much nxt but on Raw and Smackdown they might not get the chance to shine.

I thought I'd be the only one, he was'nt bad but not great like I expected, his look and ring gear is quite underwelming he needs to stand out, but these are things that can be sorted.

I know most wont agree but WWE could really benifit from a Cruiserweight style title and division, Hideo, Devitt, Kidd, Cara, Kalisto, Adrian, Zayn etc would be a great division, I know thats pretty much nxt but on Raw and Smackdown they might not get the chance to shine.

I think if anything a Cruiserweight Division would hinder the progress WWE have made in the last ten years towards accepting the smaller guys as being on the same level as the bigger guys. If Bryan, Punk, Rollins etc. had to battle it out in their own division, would they ever have had the chance to progress to the main event?

In my opinion, by segregating them back into their own division, you're taking two steps back.

• Paid Members

I would have a kind of unofficial cruiserweight division. Have the US title scene be full of the high flying types (Sin Cara, Dolph Ziggler, Tyson Kidd, Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Justin Gabriel etc.) where they all tear it up against eachother fighting for the US title each week with the focus on the matches over character and then have the Intercontinental title scene be the bigger potential future main eventers (Barrett, Rusev, Shaemus, Cesaro etc.) where the feuds are more storyline based.

Edited by LaGoosh

I was sad the day the Cruiserweight Title was retired, but frankly it's been a blessing in disguise as pointed out above. Personally, I think the NXT Title is the perfect placeholder for talent of this level, and is frankly, better booked than the IC and US belt currently is.

In fact, if you told me five years ago that WWE would introduce a third rung singles title, a secondary tag belt and a secondary women's belt, AND that it would be well booked, I would call you a lier. Yet here it is.

I would have a kind of unofficial cruiserweight division. Have the US title scene be full of the high flying types (Sin Cara, Dolph Ziggler, Tyson Kidd, Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Justin Gabriel etc.) where they all tear it up against eachother fighting for the US title each week with the focus on the matches over character and then have the Intercontinental title scene be the bigger potential future main eventers (Barrett, Rusev, Shaemus, Cesaro etc.) where the feuds are more storyline based.

This is how I've always imagined structuring my dream promotion. Regardless, I just feel WWE main title scene lacks structure, and something as simple as this would help massively.

A Cruiserweight title, even hiding in US title's clothing, is a terrible idea -- it just reinforces that smaller wrestlers belong in their own division away from the real belts. Sami Zayn and Daniel Bryan "tearing it up" on Superstars for the CrUiSerweight title is shit compared to Sami Zayn and Daniel Bryan fighting for the WWE title.

It's quite obvious Vince is rubbish with such a division anyway (or any title outside of the World title picture). They've tried it a few times, but Vince loses interest. Pointless.

Can't blame him. The heavyweight style is the only one that consistently makes money. If Vince could guarantee dollars from a hardcore or cruiser division then that's what he'd have.

• Paid Members

Just got caught up with NXT. Enjoying watching wrestling again and trying not to second guess or criticise the booking. Impossible job, but hey ho!

Hideo Itami (because you can't not take 100% of merchandise revenue, can you?) had a mixed start: brilliant on Takeover, but giving away too much in his first outing, and then getting jobbed out to the awful Ascension. Hopefully his run with them will be short-lived because he obviously has something.

Emma has the worst gimmick ever. Charlotte still looks like a man. Are we sure Reid died?

Baron Corbin's bit was smart enough but he's a bit thin and committed a cardinal sin for a big man by not stepping over the top rope. Unusually for a mmodern wrestler, I like his tattoos.

I just don't get Adrian Neville. Can't talk, looks awful, worst kind of spot machine. But he's still better than Tyson Kidd, who has all the bad things about the Harts and none of the good. Sami Zayn is a god, and I liked his Palestine t-shirt. Good lad.

NXT is a very watchable show, which I find Raw and Smackdown aren't. Weird.

• Paid Members

NXT is a very watchable show, which I find Raw and Smackdown aren't. Weird.

Not weird- Raw would be super-watchable, if it was only 45 minutes long without adverts.

Agree on all your points about Emma, Corbin, Neville and Zayn, but I kind of like Tyson Kidd at NXT level. His 'shit husband' gimmick is pretty awesome for a heel, too. It would work a hundred times better if his wife was likeable, but it's still effective.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's in NXT for a reason, we know this. Kidd isn't an up-and-coming guy, he will never be pushed to the moon so you don't need to worry yourself on that account. What he is is a solid in-ring worker that can have good matches consistently with the likes of Zayn and Neville and can also help less experienced guys than those to develop. That's why I said that I like him at that level, he has a place here.

His boring persona was even played up brilliantly on Total Divas and has translated a little bit into his character work in NXT. In a Lance Storm sort of way, they have found a way to turn a weakness into a strength for him. Worth remembering that you're not supposed to be excited by him because he's a heel. If he wrestles Sami Zayn, Itami or virtually any other face on the NXT roster, I actually want to see Tyson Kidd lose. Something to be said for that in this day and age.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

A Cruiserweight title, even hiding in US title's clothing, is a terrible idea -- it just reinforces that smaller wrestlers belong in their own division away from the real belts. Sami Zayn and Daniel Bryan "tearing it up" on Superstars for the CrUiSerweight title is shit compared to Sami Zayn and Daniel Bryan fighting for the WWE title.

I never said I'd have Sami Zayn vs Daniel Bryan on Superstars for a mid card title because that would be ridiculous. It would probably be closer to the X-Division than a cruiserweight division really as pretty much most of the current roster would have been classed as cruiserweights ten years ago. I feel like they have to do something to differentiate the US and Intercontinental title scene because at the moment neither title really means much.