NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Having watched a couple of War Games matches now, Iā€™ve no problem whatsoever with them removing the roof. It didnā€™t seem to do much other than dangerously hinder the guys from doing anythingĀ above head height.

More than anything else, I really want Adam Cole and his mates to impress me tonight. Nothing Iā€™ve seen so far suggest theyā€™re anything other tiny work rate wankers.

• Paid Members

Good show. Not great by Takeover standards, but good all the same.

Who would have ever expected that on a night when they change the World Title,Ā and on a night when they do the first War Games match in nearly twenty years, the most memorable thing would be what a revelation Velveteen Dream was. Fucking hell. Where did this guy comeĀ from?! He had such a standout performance, a match of the year contender, pissing charisma, that I had to go online and find out where he came from. It felt so weird to have a guy be this good in NXT, yet Iā€™d never heard of him on the indies. Unbelievably, he was on Tough Enough, losing to that hairy Josh bloke and that fat idiot called ZZ. Jesus Christ! What a gem theyā€™ve found with him. Only 22 years old as well!Ā I was absolutely blown away by Dream tonight, he felt like the most exciting thing in NXT since the night Nakamura turned up. A star-making performance, heā€™s proof that you donā€™t have to win to get over. Incredible.

The main event was weird. The first half was utter shit, performed to a deathlyĀ silent crowd, but the second half was awesome. The way they did the entrances didnā€™t work at all. Iā€™ve only seen a couple of War Games matches,Ā but the idea seemed to be to build heat by giving the heels the advantage, then even the odds to give the babyfaces some hope, back and forth, back and forth, until you eventually reach a fever pitch for the finish. Itā€™s a clever idea. I couldnā€™t even figure out what the psychology was supposed to be here though. I thought maybe Young and Strong as the (supposed?) babyfaces would beat the shit out of Adam Cole for the first period, but that didnā€™t really happen. They just traded some moves. Then maybeĀ the Undisputed Era would get the advantage and build heat, but that didnā€™t really happen either because theyā€™re not really heels and the fans donā€™t dislike them. They just did more moves.Ā ThenĀ it was just a weird, staggered mess until all the guys were in. So strange. Luckily though, once everyone was in it turned into a wild, daft, fun, excellent brawl.Ā I even thought Adam Cole was quite a good heel by the end of it by not really doing much, running away the whole match, then stealing the pin. Wolfe and Dain were the standouts though. Both guys were great. So yeah, it was a success in that it was a fun match by the end, and it definitely felt different to other cage matches or multi-man brawls, but hopefully they sort out the psychology of that first half next time, or at least use guys that the fans care about one way or another past just wanting to see them doing crazy stunts.

Iā€™m fascinated by the title change. It felt like it came out of nowhere. I canā€™t figure out if Drew was injured either before or duringĀ the match, so they called an audible to change the belt, or it was just bizarre bad luck that he tore his bicep just as he lost the title. Either way it was certainly shocking, and personally Iā€™m much happier with Almas as champion because I think Drew is a bit boring and shit. Good match. Sucks to be Drew. I suspect thatā€™s six months out at least.

The womenā€™s match was super sloppy and wouldā€™ve been far better as a singles match.Ā 

I donā€™t know why Kassius Ohno came back. Heā€™s going nowhere, the fat mess. I like Sullivan a lot.Ā 

I was disappointed there werenā€™t the over the top entrances that weā€™ve come to expect from Takeover.

In a two and a half hour show, how much time do you think Percy Watson spends actually speaking? Cumulatively, I think itā€™s about four minutes. I never ever hear him!

I think Iā€™m in love with Kairi Sane.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I don't think I can add to what Supremo said about Velveteen Dream- what a fantastic breakout performance and a perfectly booked match. Everything about that match and the build-up was just sublime. That match blew me away, definitely one of the best matches of the year. Black has grown on me a lot and here proved how much of a damn good wrestler he is, so much more than devastating strikes. Dream is the best thing WWE have manufactured in a long, long time.

And my god did I pop when he revealed his Rick Rude inspired tights!

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

In a two and a half hour show, how much time do you think Percy Watson spends actually speaking? Cumulatively, I think itā€™s about four minutes. I never ever hear him!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Very enjoyable show.

Sullivan v Ohno was a fantastic opener. Sullivan has a great look and I think they could go far with him. Ohno throws some convincing strikes and Sullivan brushing them off like they were nothing was badass.

Echo all the love for The Velveteen Dream. Oozes charisma and can back it up in the ring.

I wasn't given the two title matches my fullest attention, but they looked alright. The women's match was fine. I started paying full attention the NXT title match when McIntyre hit the Futureshock. There was some convincing near-falls and the finish felt like a legit shock win, which you don't get many of nowadays.

The WarGames was a bit of a mess, wasn't it? I felt like they were killing time until everyone was in the match. There was a few cool spots here and there, although no one man and/or team particularly looked great. The Undisputed Era still look shite.

• Paid Members

Another really good Takeover.

Lars vs Ohno was a good big man match. Ohno is there to help put the future over. Sure, he doesn't look great, but he still puts on good matches and that's a big plus point.Ā 

Black vs Dream was match of the night. Black got a huge pop from the crowd during his entrance and then Dream won the fans over as it went on. Loved Dreams whole look and homage to Rick Rude with hair inspired by Cat from Red Dwarf.Ā 

Womens match was good but nothing amazing. Was hoping Nikki Cross or Peyton Royce would win.Ā 

Almas vs McIntyre was probably the second best match of the night. Almas has been having very good matches all year long and deserves this. Having Zelina has made his character all the better. Great finish too. Shame about Drew getting his injury. Hopefully he comes back straight to the main roster.Ā 

War Games was good once all 9 men were in the ring. Things really got going then, especially with the introduction of the weapons. Roddy in AoP gear was bizarre, but a nice touch.Ā Poor Wolfe seemed to have got quite a nasty cut to his head from that table spot. He was downĀ for most of the match then. I'm a fan of the Undisputed Era guys and I think they showed their worth last night. Cole played a good heel. I also liked O'ReillyĀ doing The Rocks spot with the chair bouncing of the rope and hitting him in the head. I hope they can keep their momentum and put on some good showings at the nextĀ tapings.Ā 

• Paid Members

Dream v Black is a shout for match of the year. I adore wrestlers that put the story/character ahead of moves and kickoutfest and this match was packed with it. I've not watched much NXT since the last Takeover effort, so had not a clue who Velveteen Dream was, but a few seconds into the solid video package I was hooked - dresses like a star, has hair like a star, talks like a star etc. Of course, come bell time I was pretty much expecting my goodwill to reduce quite a bit, after all I just witnessed a few minutes of some brilliant hybrid of Rick Rude, Billy Graham, Prince and Ru Paul, but a few minutes in and it's not only fine, it's brilliant - Dream may very well be one of the best sellers in the company, I thought, after all when was the last time you were so into someone in a bloody armlock sequence and what not. It was such a simple story, but start-to-finish they played it out note perfect. Velveteen Dream is undeniable, but it probably won't work on the proper show, will it? Boo!

On the other hand, really not into Drew McIntrye at all. He looks worthy of a Ā£50 note, but he's all forced charisma and unconvincing in-ring work. Being Scottish, I don't think I'll ever get over how silly his accent sounds while he's forcing some Americana in there. I also despise that being such a physically bigger bloke, he chooses not to wrestle like one, with Almas overpowering him with headlocks - forever taking me out of the match by how silly and unconvincing it looked. He's like Randy Orton without the ability.
Almas, on the other hand, is exciting and it's pretty remarkable the difference in his act now. He's not brilliant or anything, but he's far more interesting than McIntrye.

I loathed that they decided to mess about with the War Games concept - from missing part of the cage to the three team set up etc. Thankfully, the match picked up halfway through, so I started to enjoy it. Nevertheless, if you're promising War Games, do War Games.

Good show, overall, with one belter of a match. Say his name.

Dream and Black was absolutely perfect. The layout of that match allowed both men to shine and come out of it better afterwards. Was genuinely chuffed when Black said his name after the match, really was not expecting that. How long can the keep Velvet heel with performances like that? I could quite happily watch these two go at it again. Flashy moves, logic, entertainment, character development. Was there anything this match didnā€™t have?

Undisputed Era being a let down and Velveteen Dream getting reaction of the night proves that Indy success is a good platform, but ultimately doesnā€™t matter at all anymoreĀ 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Was genuinely chuffed when Black said his name after the match, really was not expecting that.Ā 

Yeah, that closed it off perfectly. Had he not said his name, it'd put Black in a heel light in my view. You know, in a 'don't acknowledge the gender bender' kind of view that a lot of our dads would share.

• Awards Moderator

Quite sad to see nobody quite as high on War Games as I am, I loved that match. I was fine with it taking a little while to get going, and got completely into all the chaos and craziness once everyone was in there. Hand on my mouth moments, ā€œoh my godā€ moments, I was totally into it. Dain was great, that puddle of Wolfeā€™s blood on the table, Roddyā€™s backbreaker spree, AOP taking this kind of match in stride, Adam Cole got a few good bits for himself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Havoc and bodies laid out everywhere - just what I wanted from it. Itā€™s a MOTY contender for me.

Black/Dream was excellent too, worthy of its superb build up. I loved the way they weaved their story into the match instead of the more usual ā€˜letā€™s forget all that character work, itā€™s match timeā€™. Iā€™d thought beforehand that whatever the result, Dream would win, and that was the case. Pity the camera missed Black Mass though!

Lars/Ohno was fine but suffered from a bit of a dead crowd (was the hard cam side empty? It looked it from a couple of entrance shots). My attention wavered a bit for the two title matches, so much so I had to rewind the finish of the menā€™s match. That was unexpected! So Drewā€™s legitimately injured? Thatā€™s a shame if so - Iā€™d been enjoying his run so far.Ā 

Kind of hoped Asuka would say something like ā€œstill canā€™t beat me though can yaā€ to Ember Moon as she handed her the belt.

I think Undisputed Era are finally over with me, as Iā€™ve been humming their music for the past half an hour...

Another fun Takeover show, gotta go with the concensus and give match of the night to Black and Dream, great contest. Weakest was Ohno/Sullivan, didn't need to be on the card and would have preferred the Dunne/Gargano match they taped for this Wednesday's episode instead

Looks like the title change was an audible as you could see McIntyre's bicep go as he caught the rope coming down from the top rop ddt