NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

That was probably my fav NXT PPV to date. Start to finish it was great.

Cien is indeed in a tricky place. He as we know has been dealt a rough hand with opponents due to his persona, going against heel fan favorite's. In fairness to Roode, he slagged off Brooklyn in the pre show, which means bugger all if the live audience don't get to see it and even if they did... howay, as if it would matter, the sexy shit.

Arguably the only theme I'm very happy for the fans to sing along with, we all know we would.

Back to Cien, I like his in ring stuff, but I think he'd benefit from a quick heel repackage. Smug fuck would suit him, his smile on a heel would shout twat.

I agree with the point about Roodes finisher not being as glorious as everything else that he portrays. That entrance... my good, it actually out did Nakas for me, which was also great.

Not sure really, maybe a perfect plex esque finish, something which has a pinning combo that opponents simply struggle to kick out of.

I really really love Aries. He's Fucking great and I did worry a bit that he wasn't being utilized properly, even to the point I thought he'd possibly bugger off, but I'm chuffed he is now heading in to a feud with Itami. Will do both of them the world of good and bumps them up the card theoretically. Itami needs a great feud to re-find his feet and the crowd, Aries needs better opposition... I'm not in to Jose. He does nothing for me, which is a shame because he has a pretty fun gimmick, looks wise he stands out, but I can't take him as a serious threat.

Amber Moon. Can't wait to see more of her and I'm surprised this wasn't more of a squash really, but either way, decent debut and I agree, she needs to be the next female to get pushed to Asuka heights, that would be very fun feuding indeed. Wonderful finisher.

Speaking of Asuka. Fantastic match with Bailey, didn't expect much else. For me it didn't have any surprise element, which took away slightly, simply because I assumed Bailey was the the transition process, so what would be the point in her beating Asuka. My thought process seemed correct based on Baily's exit. Fun match though with emotions at a height.

Asuka... wonderful.

Tag match was everything we could have hoped for. Two brilliant teams, possibly the only two I'm bothered about in NXT at the mo, until others develop or are created. Maybe that's because these 4 lads set the standard so high, much like when Alpha were there. The common theme being Revival. When these guys first hit the scene I was part of the bandwagon that loved the comparison to Arn and Tully. Well they have truly taken that ball, ran with it and scored a Fucking sizzler from 40 yards out. I can't explain my sheer joy when watching them, cream egg all over the floor. Fabulous match, simply brilliant.

I've heard a few people mentioning that they enjoyed but weren't fully in to the main event... well fuck me.

It was class.

High intensity, nothing silly, no pointless spots, just back and fourth sound as fuck technical wrestling, with well timed powerful striking. Incredible selling, showed that both are hard as nails and even though Naka won, Joe still came across as more dominant.

I loved that until the last 3 mins or so, the near falls were based on submission or 'general' hard hitting moves, all still believable though. I also liked that it wasn't a case of 19 near falls in 5 mins either. The last few mins had 2 with a 3rd being the clincher.

As you can possibly tell. I'm highly highly impressed with this event.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

NXT continues to deliver.

Aries looked really motivated for the first time since he arrived, I've felt like everything he has done prior to this match seemed quite laboured.

Ember moon looked boss coming out of the darkness with those red contacts, then immediately ruined her badass image by hopping around like my 18month old daughter in some sort of excited spasm. Her finisher was spectacular though. Billie Kay is sensationally hot, more of her please.

Roode was great as everyone has already said, but feel he needs a finisher that isn't so slow to setup. The best are always those that can be hit outtanowhere.

Outside of Cena, surely Nakamura is one of the most over guys in all of WWE, he is so sensational that the main roster seems to pale in comparison.

Is this the first time two Japanese wrestlers have held the Main title and the Womens title at the same time in an American promotion?

Fantastic show. Nakamura just has 'it' and the match with Joe delivered in spades. 
Loved it.

Just seen this on Twitter:

Dixie Carter's reaction to seeing how Bobby Roode got over more in 1 night with NXT than his entire TNA run.

CqV_8DKUsAAH-TI.jpg

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

His last Tna finish would be too similar to the AA for WWEs liking. The fisherman's suplex would be good but possibly too much of a babyface move.

The RR spinebuster could have worked if it hadn't been used to death.

But yes, he needs something other than the pump handle. It's a bit late nineties cookie cutter for me.

• Awards Moderator

Still terrible for a finisher, what did he use in TNA?

I'm sure he used a Perfect Plex for a while, I also recall a Northern Lariat at some point, which was a clothesline to the back of the head?

Here's a thought - if I'm not wrong, of everyone on the card last night, only Joe and Bayley were also on last year's Brooklyn show. That's some turnover of talent!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

His last Tna finish would be too similar to the AA for WWEs liking. The fisherman's suplex would be good but possibly too much of a babyface move.

The RR spinebuster could have worked if it hadn't been used to death.

But yes, he needs something other than the pump handle. It's a bit late nineties cookie cutter for me.

Surely if the pump-handle slam is a bit 90s.... the fisherman suplex is even more so, maybe even 80s?

Disgusting result of the main event, unless Joe and Bayley are heading directly to Smackdown!

Nakamura winning the belt is a "disgusting" result? Have a word with yourself. He's brilliant and over as fuck. There will probably be a rematch. Even if you hoped Joe would have a longer reign, "disgusting" is a bit daft.

It's disgusting to me! I like them both but Nakamura doesn't need that belt yet, unless, as I said, Joe is on the move.

You could argue that Nak could have lost and gone to SD. They need one of them. It would change everything.

Edited by Philjax

Right,

Can you please bear in mind that I'm a somewhat elderly gentleman compared to you young whippersnappers.

I just watched this event having not watched any NXT or WWE for a while. I do have the network and haven't watched anything on it for about six months. I've had a lovely weekend, I watched UFC202 and spent the time not killing myself. That's unrelated by the way.

Then I watched Takeover

I've not watched a show like this since I was a lot younger! Oh my word this was sensational. This is why I loved wrestling! The big two matches really stood out but everything on the card screamed entertainment. No Way Jose tapping out was a great end to that fight for example.

Asuka vs Bailey is one of the best women's matches I've ever seen. Not because of moves, but because of emotion. They told a great story there. Bailey is probably saying goodbye to NXT now but what a way to go out. That match was superb!

The main event had me out of my seat. I'm 42 so doing that takes either a lot of talent or a lot of dodgy vindaloo. I'm not going to dwell on opinions about selling ant whatnot, all I'll say is that match grabbed me. I loved it.

And isn't that what's it's all about? I had a great time watching that! It may not be the best wrestling event in the last 15 or so years but it's the one I enjoyed most.

Thanks for making me a fan again.