NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

For as massive and intimidating as those new blokes looked, I thought their gear reeked of shitty independent wrestling. I hope that's not what they're planning on wrestling in. Proper CZW stuff. Watching it half asleep, I also mistook Paul Ellering for Bruno Samartino! I wonder if the Full Sail crowd would have chanted "Who Are You?" at Bruno.

Ā 

Good show. The main story coming out of it was Austin Aries finally finding some momentum. It's so weird how he and Samoa Joe had similar introductions into the company. Both guys took a while to get good again, after being a bit shit in their first few weeks. Hopefully Austin continues to improve as Joe has. Joe might be one of my favourite guys in the whole company to watch at the moment. He's been amazing for a while now. It's crazy how Balor looks set to debut on he main roster, when he's nowhere near as ready as Joe is.

Ā 

Shocked that American Alpha lost. I'm assuming they'll be getting called up soon. I don't like how they've started sticking their tongues out all the time like Miley Cyrus though. They need to pack that in.

Ā 

I thought Asuka did a great job with Nia Jax. That was easily Nia's best match ever.

Ellering is a strange one, he didnt spend that much time in wwe and wasnt around much during LOD most memorable times 90-98, yet he's someone that doesnt look like he's aged since he was last on wwe tv which must be what 17years?

Ā 

Would've been when he got his Hall of Fame ring in 2011, I think. Before that, yeah it must have been the DOA stuff... Or was he involved in the Heidenreich LOD?

• Moderators

I reckon most of the people who jobbed are getting drafted, along with Bayley. She's really going to struggle on the main roster though. Great or no, I don't think she's good looking enough to the conventional eye to get a push on the more cosmetically important roster. While Charlotte, Lynch and Banks are great they are aided by being conventionally stunning.

An enjoyable show overall but the cage match needed the accidental blood of the first bout. It was kind of phoned in bar the finish. I guess if that really was Finn's first cage match ever it might explain it. Only 15 minutes. That is a TNA PPV main event if ever I saw one. The kind of let down i'll expect this Sunday most likely.

Ā 

Loved the big guys.

Ā 

If Trips is hyping up a big new arrival on the womens' side, well I don't know who that could be to be honest. Probably not Garrett. We can hope for Aja Kong or Meiko Satomura (preferable). Any guesses? Oh wait, it's gonna be Velvet Sky innit?

• Moderators

Aja Kong is about 3,000, and Meiko Satomura is probably busy with Sendai. Fuck Satomura anyway, if she ever was there in the performance centre I'd love Regal to open her up with forearms to rip the skin off her as a receipt for the way she treated GAEA trainees.

Ā 

Great entrance music though.

Aries looked good again here, but it's noticeable how his reactions from the NXT crowds are way less than they have been for other well known guys arriving from the indies over the years (Zayn, Balor, Joe, Nakamura, etc).

I think part of it is bad timing. He did get a huge reaction debuting and getting beat down by Corbin, but by the time he wrestled his first match a few weeks later it was the same night as Nakamura stole the show.

On a roster full of babyfaces, I'm sure an effective heel turn will get him more over and higher up the card.

Ā 

It's already been pointed out, but the fans were chanting "Who are you?" immediately after the beat-down which they have been booing had ended.

The fact that it coincided with the moment the camera focused on Paul Ellering is what some people took as a green light to rant about the Full Sail crowd. Again.

Spoilers from last nights tapings. Big match teased for Takeover:Brooklyn

Ā 

Ā 

June 15th Episode:

Ā 

* Greg Hamilton is back doing ring announcing

Ā 

* The show opens with a recap of "Takeover: The End" and a backstage promo from NXT Champion Samoa Joe. Joe says tonight is the beginning of his dominance and there's no question who the true champion is now

Ā 

* The Authors of Pain with Paul Ellering destroyed 2 jobbers in a brutal squash match. Their finisher is a clothesline/reverse Skull Crushing Finale

Ā 

* Carmella defeated Tessa Blanchard by submission

Ā 

* TM61 defeated Blake and Murphy without Alexa Bliss. Shane Thorne ducks a clothesline from Blake, who hits Murphy instead. TM61 get the win with their double team finisher on Blake. Murphy berates Blake at ringside after the match

Ā 

* Andrade "Cien" Almas defeated Tye Dillinger in a Takeover rematch. Good match, better and longer than their match at Takeover. Unfortunately for Andrade, Tye is insanely over at Full Sail and the crowd was very split with audible loud boos for some of Andrade's spots. Andrade did get a big pop at the end when he won

Ā 

* Finn Balor comes out for a promo in street clothes and talks about the first time he saw NXT, and that NXT became a part of who he is. He asks what's next for Finn Balor? Fans start a huge Balor Club chant and he responds with "Too Sweet." Shinsuke Nakamura interrupts. He says Balor wants some, and he wants some. He watched Balor become the icon of NXT and Balor is still an icon. Nakamura wants a match and says to be champion, he has to beat Balor. Balor says he knows what's next, it's Shinsuke vs. Finn!

Ā 

June 22nd Episode:

Ā 

* Oney Lorcan (Christopher Girard, Biff Busick) defeated Tye Dillinger in a stiff, aggressive and solidly good match. Dillinger got distracted by the crowd chanting 10 during his corner punches, which led to Lorcan hitting a neckbreaker for the win

Ā 

* No Way Jose defeated Josh Woods in a quick match. Austin Aries interrupted Jose's post-match celebration. Aries says in this industry, you're not defined by your wins, but your defeats. He says he was defeated while he was not 100% and that even though he had bruised ribs, a real guy doesn't make excuses. Aries says he and Jose talked after the match, and says he wondered what he could learn from Jose. Aries says he learned it's all about having fun here at NXT. They dance over to the announce table, where Aries kills Jose with a rolling elbow and then beats him down.

Ā 

* A huge Aries chant breaks out and he runs back, kills Jose with a Last Chancery on the ramp until the crowd boos him

Ā 

* Bayley defeated Deonna Purrazzo

Ā 

* Nia Jax quickly squashed Liv Morgan with a brutal powerbomb

Ā 

* Tye Dillinger comes out and complains that he is better than having lost 2 matches tonight. He says the show stops until he gets his. He calls Andrade "Cien" Almas out and a match instantly starts. Tye walks out after Andrade does the Tranquilo rest in the ropes spot, then comes back in only to get tossed back out. And leave. Not sure if this will air or if it was a re-shoot of some spots from their earlier match

Ā 

* Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Murphy in a fun little match, just below the two I saw them have in Atlanta/Nashville this weekend

Ā 

June 29th Episode:

Ā 

* Alexa Bliss defeated Carmella with the Sparkle Splash in a good match

Ā 

* Andrade "Cien" Almas defeated Noah Kekoa

Ā 

* Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa defeated Zack Ryder and Mojo Rawley in a good match. Ciampa and Gargano cut a promo after the match saying they should be next in line for a NXT Tag Team Title shot. American Alpha interrupt and say no offense, but they're next in line to get their rematch and that whenever Gargano and Ciampa get their shot, it'll be against them. Chad Gable and Jason Jordan promise to get their revenge on The Authors of Pain but first, they've got unfinished business with The Revival, who come out and say they dictate the terms of who gets a shot. NXT General Manager William Regal comes out and announces Alpha vs. Revival for a 2 of 3 Falls Match next week. The Authors of Pain attack Alpha after Regal's announcement. Gargano and Ciampa try to make the save but get destroyed. The Authors lay out Alpha with their finisher and then Ellering comes out on stage to call them to him

Ā 

* NXT Champion Samoa Joe defeated Oney Lorcan (Biff Busick) in a solid main event. Joe kicked out of Oney's neckbreaker that Tye lost to. Joe won the match with a Musclebuster to end the tapings

Ā 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the Takeover show, although it really badly lacked the buzz of previous efforts. The matches for the most part were good, nothing outstanding. Highlights of the show for me were the introduction of Ellering's boys and the crowd responses to Nakamura.

Ā 

Feels like it's been forever since WWE introduced any new wrestlers with a 'who the fuck are these guys!?' angle. I loved it, it was old school but felt totally fresh for NXT. Nice to see some monstrous looking bastards too, they seem to be a dying breed in the company.