NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

It's a good question, there really is a dearth of decent options outside of those three you mentioned and the established tag team guys. Aries, Roode and Eric Young are 38, 39 and 36 respectively. Plus they hum of TNA. Mad to think they might be the future main event of WWE's developmental system.

• Moderators

Aries, Roode and Young will mever make the main roster. Good hands to stay in developmental to learn from. I'm tempted to put Joe in that bracket too only he's revitalised himself

I think there's a few guys down there we haven't seen or are due to be repackaged. While Joe and Balor should be on Raw by late August, I think Nakamura may spend the rest of the year in NXT. Bobby Roode may well debut straight on the main roster. I think thats entirely plausible especially if they do split the rosters. Straight onto Smackdown. EY isn't even under contract I don't think. Might do a Rhino. Hideo Itami?  :duh: One would assume Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre are gonna be involved in 6 months.

Remember the women can takeover quite easily in the interim. There must be 10 girls down there I could happily watch each week, most of whom don't get much exposure.

And of course, EC3........ maybe not after Evolve.

They should send guys that need time off tv to freshen up or not up to much (Sheamus or Ziggler would be a good shout) for 6 months of so, a name to be a decent draw for nxt and open up fresh matches, it should'nt be seen as a punishment but as chance to shake up both rosters every few months.

Yeah maybe not those guys but you get the jist, depends who goes up and comes down

Ziggler (for example) vs Joe or Aries etc would be good 

Sheamus vs Nakamura or Balor

or even guys come down for a mini feud leading to a takeover show, would'nt affect there main schedule, plenty of names would work  

I'd say Sheamus and Ziggler are great shouts for it. Sheamus would easily be the best heel champion that NXT has had, and he could put on absolutely cracking main events there. Ziggler of course could finally have his run as a "top guy" that used to be demanded, but everyone (including himself?) has gone quiet about that lately... So he could either do it as a wankwank favourite or as a heel angry at the ones who have overtaken him in Internet points. And both of them have years of WWE experience they can pass on to the youngsters they work with.

Would it work for NXT being a pseudo-indie with loads of Internet points though? It does seem to me like they're hitting the wall with the developmental league vs indie dream promotion contradiction soon. They've done a sparkling job of creating tag teams and women wrestlers, but the reliance on darlings in the males singles ranks has hampered the developmental growth there. And that's quite an odd thing for WWE, since it's always been a promotion build around a top man. At the same time, though, it makes sense. Finn Balor has a lot of potential but is quite shit at some important stuff, so focusing on him so much to try and develop him into someone that could headline the main show is a better shot than putting the belt on Performance Center Guy #712. The thing is, they do need those Performance Center Guys on track to be elevated when Finn and co do jump. And they haven't got that at all at the moment as best I can tell.

• Paid Members

Moving someone down to be Nxt champion would make it like wwecw . They seem to be drawing fine as they are

But the discussion is about what will happen when their top guys are called up to the main roster, especially when the next line of top guys (Corbin, Crews, Cass) are already on the main roster too.

Fandango definitely isn't selling out an arena for a Takeover. Tyson Kidd was never NXT's top guy either, and NXT was a smaller deal back when he was challenging Neville. Fandango, aside from being no better than average at anything, is a nobody. Anybody at the top of NXT needs to have either loads of Internet points or loads of minus internet points.

The Drifter and Tye Dillenger could and should start to be pushed up a little into the old tyler breeze position which would help solidify the roster. However I don't think Joe is going anywhere just yet. I could see him defending the belt successfully for a while. The earliest would be the autumn if they want to put the belt on Nakamura at the summerslam takeover. They could however delay that match, but i'd go with that for the August Takeover and then a rematch for the October one before Joe gets called up at the end of the year.

In the mean time as people have said The woman have Main evented before but I don't think they have a strong enough roster either right now to be prominent. The best bet would be the tag division. American Alpha should defend in the top spot at least once perhaps at the end of the year against the winners of the next Rhodes classic.

Giving almost a whole year to really build some new guys up through the likes of Aries, Roode and Young

NXT still needs to be development and I'd hate to see it flooded with main roster guys that have already made it. Especially guys like Sheamus and Ziggler. If there's someone that could benefit from dropping off the roster and getting some exposure and character work then im all for it. I watch it for an alternative to the main product. Even Curtis Axel was doing a fairly decent job in NXT at one point.