NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Ā 

Ā 

Is there any reason why Drake Younger (I don't know what his WWE name is) is only a referee?

Ā 

William Regal saw Drake at a PWG show was impressed by him so brought him in for a tryout. Drake wasn't anything special in-ring wise at the tryout but Regal loved Drake's attitude, enthusiasm and personality so decided to give him a tryout for a referee job instead.

out of all the NXT people on the verge of getting promoted to the mains, Baron Corbin is the one I see least potential in. Not that he's poor in the ring, and he looks decent, just can't see him getting over as anything

Edited by sj5522

• Moderators

Ā 

Ā 

Loved owens response to commentator getting excited about joe elbowing, " I throw a mean back elbow too" . His use of English as his second language is so natural, worlds between him and cessaro

Isn't everyone from Quebec multilingual and fluent in English as well anyway?

Owens has claimed that he was taught English in school but he learned how to form sentences and grammatical structure from watching wrestling. Jrs commentary in particular.

Ā 

Ā 

He's from Montreal. He'd have been exposed to shit loads of English from a young age. I take what he says about learning from Wrestling to not be totally literal and total. Either way he'd have been far more exposed to English from Childhood than Cesaro.

• Moderators

Yeah, but it's surely more than that in Montreal? It's a massive cosmopolitan city? I'd assume is more Anglophone than places like the outskirts? 56% fully bilingual according to Wiki.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

He's not from Montreal, he's from 50 miles south of there, from a place where less than 1% speak EnglishĀ and French.

Ā 

EDIT: Geography is FUN

Edited by Linus

• Paid Members

I'd never have known English was his second language. I'd expect him to have a slight French twang, like others from Montreal have had (Grenier!). But he just sounds like a regular Canadian speaking English.

Probably down to the fact he'll have mostly been in America past 10 years. Grenier and Dupree were pretty new to the business, not to mention fully gimmicked up

I can definitely here the French influence in the way he pronounces things. What's the story with the Tokyo show Balor had an ad for? is it being held in a proper arena or an nxt sized place?

Isn't everyone from Quebec multilingual and fluent in English as well anyway?

Ā 

Ā 

No. Maryse could barely speak any English at all before going to WWE, and she still wasn't great with it even during her big run. And she didn't need to be, because she had charisma and personality like no other diva has since. Her quitting would have been the divas division's biggest loss, although she'd pretty much been on the sidelines for a couple of years or so by then anyway.

Ā 

Loved owens response to commentator getting excited about joe elbowing, " I throw a mean back elbow too" . His use of English as his second language is so natural, worlds between him and cessaro

Ā 

I don't think Cesaro's problem is any difficulty with English, there's just a total lack of personality and charisma to him.Ā 

Ā 

They've really done everything they can with Tyler Breeze except put the NXT belt on him. They might aswell give him a run at the lower end of the main roster with a prolonged undefeated streak, kind of like HHH when he came in during 1995, rather than just have him hanging around NXT any longer.

Ā 

Ā 

Tyler Breeze is a weird one. A year from now, I don't think Owens, Zayn, Joe, Itami, Balor will be in NXT. I could see Breeze being left behind a bit to carry the brand. In a lot of ways, he's more main roster ready than probably everyone except Zayn and Owens, but it's easy to imagine him going the way of Bo Dallas if he is called up soon.

Ā 

Great thing about NXT this week is they're finally using Bull Dempsey properly!

Edited by King Pitcos

Ok so I've just been watching last night's nxt and Finn balors Japan video came up, first thing I thought about was Sean o'haires I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know' videos. So my question is, has it been long enough to try that character again and if so could Finn pull it off.

• Moderators

Sean O'Haire couldn't even pull it off.

Ā 

To be honest, I'm not actually even sure what that gimmick was. Devils Advocate guy, I assume. "Do what you want, fuck the conventions of society", also for some reason as a dark heel, when most people wold want to cheer that message as it's a positive message.

Ā 

I think it gets a lot of love just because the vignettes were so well produced. But when the pretapes have to end, and you've got to put yourself forward in in-ring promos and backstage pre-tapes, it's a different matter all together. And indeed, when he made the jump in Feb of 2003 to backstage pretapes like the one getting Brian Kendrick to streak, it just doesn't come off very well.

Ā 

So yeah, Sean O'Haire's much talked about, and much overrated gimmick, it was a victory for the WWE production department, But where do you go when it's time to do things away from the studio?

Ā 

(As you may have guessed, the oft talked about "Sean O'Haire's gimmick! Wasn't it dead good! Next big thing!" [not that I'm saying anyone is currently saying that] is one of my least favourite wrestling topics ever)

Ā 

In conclusion, I'd like Finn Balor to keep away from it. I think he's character is fine as it is. Man who has a second, deep, and dark level which he portrays when it's time for shit to be on.

Good reply butchi, obviously I was being completely hypothetical but yes as you say, I don't really know what the gimmick was supposed to be or how it would translate to the ring. Not really sure why it was the first thing that came to mind, maybe the white background? :/