NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Would have much preferred a long reign as NXT champion than a call up at this point, to be honest. Will be watching with great interest though, hopefully this is a sign that they actually have a plan for him.

Edited by Arch Stanton

This is shit news for Bray Wyatt, potentially. If Vince is seeing money in Owens, then the other fat scruffy bloke who wrestles in a t-shirt might be old news. Owens has done more to build the Cena match in two shows than Wyatt has done to build any match in two years, to be honest.

• Paid Members

The difference being Bray lives his character, whilst I'm still not sure what Owens is beyond apparently being a chubby tough guy. His look is appalling. Honestly, I see him hitting mid card purgatory pretty quickly, where he won't be any better or worse off than Wyatt.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but do fans really buy Owens as a tough guy? I don't. I wouldn't back him in a shoot against 95% of the roster, he still looks like he won a competition to be out there. I like him and he's doing well in NXT so far, but I still see him very much as a talent in need of development, both in terms of what his character is and, of course, his look. I know some here seem to like it, but so far I'm having real trouble accepting a heel whose only motivation is putting food on the table for his family, because up to now there has been very little to suggest that he isn't sincere about that. Other than a hint of bitterness about Sami Zayn making it to NXT ahead of him, there has been no exposure of Owens as a liar. He's going to need much, much more than just 'tough guy' going for him to get over and stay over on the main roster.

Ā 

You know what would be absolutely brilliant for him? A remake of this, to expose him as a horrible bastard to his family...

Ā 

Ā 

"Don't smile at me boy!"

Edited by Arch Stanton

I thought the Takeover show was ok, but I just can't seem to get into NXT.

Ā 

HarmonicGenerator mentioned it in this thread and it was my thought straight away watching it - with Breeze and Balor, you had two distinct entrances and characters, yet it was just a standard wrestling match when the bell rang. Breeze needs to be a lot better with his character work during the match from what I've seen. It's not nearly exaggerated enough. I think it's great that Balor has his paint and entrance as it makes him stand out, but he needs to play that out more during the match or it's a bit odd. For someone like Breeze, he needs to be interacting with the crowd and playing a dickhead during the match. He wasn't enough of a heel.

Ā 

Women's match was my favourite on the card. I liked the story from the pre-match video. The result seemed as though it mattered as both sold well and there was emotion in the match and after the match.

Ā 

Owens vs. Zayn didn't do it for me again. I know it was another angle finish, but I couldn't get behind Zayn or hate Owens enough. I'm not saying it to be contrary - it's just not clicking with me.

Edited by Sphinx

Personally I don't care. He made an impact against the franchise player. If that doesn't show something then nothing will. Owens has a huge future (ideally with a win or competitive loss).

There's no harm with having faith in the 'internet fan's in helping someone get over. The internet is that normal a thing now that it has to be accepted in having a great impact in what people know. Owens is an amazing wrestler and both his current and present form will halp his future. Facing Cena isn't going to harm him. Good luck to him

Edited by reychampion

• Paid Members

This is shit news for Bray Wyatt, potentially. If Vince is seeing money in Owens, then the other fat scruffy bloke who wrestles in a t-shirt might be old news. Owens has done more to build the Cena match in two shows than Wyatt has done to build any match in two years, to be honest.

Agree with your general point but Wyatt did a fantastic job of building the WM match with Taker on his todd.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but do fans really buy Owens as a tough guy? I don't. I wouldn't back him in a shoot against 95% of the roster, he still looks like he won a competition to be out there. I like him and he's doing well in NXT so far, but I still see him very much as a talent in need of development, both in terms of what his character is and, of course, his look. I know some here seem to like it, but so far I'm having real trouble accepting a heel whose only motivation is putting food on the table for his family, because up to now there has been very little to suggest that he isn't sincere about that. Other than a hint of bitterness about Sami Zayn making it to NXT ahead of him, there has been no exposure of Owens as a liar. He's going to need much, much more than just 'tough guy' going for him to get over and stay over on the main roster.

Ā 

You know what would be absolutely brilliant for him? A remake of this, to expose him as a horrible bastard to his family...

Ā 

Ā 

"Don't smile at me boy!"

Ā 

I saw the episode with that segment in on the WWE network, genuinely uncomfortable viewing. What a pro.

Edited by KJHenley

• Paid Members

I wasn't even a huge fan of Owens in his indy days until near the end, but he's a top tier talker in a company with a limited amount of those, is a very good in ring wrestler and most importantly he has a confidence about him that you don't seem to see with anyone else.

Ā 

He's on track to being CM Punk. He's got the credibility you need to get over with the vocal neckbeard male audience and it's not going to hurt that the office seem way more behind him than they were at this stage with the other indy darlings.

Ā 

I get the negatives with his look but it seems like he's come around at the exact right time where it's going to matter less than it ever would have.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

He really is a fantastic talker and has a believable tone when he speaks It doesn't sound like he's trying to cut a promo, which is always great. I filmed him vs Mastiff a few years ago. He literally never stops talking during a match, constant trash talk and character. I think I heard in a podcast that it's something Austin used to do that he tries to emulate. Really sets him apart.

Don't you see him as a guy who is becoming increasingly obsessed with money and his point about putting food on his families table is just a cover for his greed to be successful and prove his doubters wrong?

Ā 

Although the family card is being used all the time, this is done in such a way that it leaves doubt in your mind what his true intentions are and he is just a nasty bastard that will do anything to anyone to get what he wants.

Ā 

Yeah, he may have a little bit of a baby face, a bit of a gut and his muscles are not defined, but as long as they keep pushing him as a guy that either doesn't know when to stop or just doesn't want to stop, then does any of that really matter? No is the answer, because dispite all of his disadvantage's, he just keeps battering everyone in his path anyway.

Ā 

Him losing to Cena would be death nail for him, before he even starts though. The guy needs to have a pretty even match with him, before battering him for the final few minutes in the same way he did with Zahn. Leave the crowd not familiar with him thinking, "this guy is the hardest bastard going". You keep him strong and you have a ready set fued with Lesnar down the line.

Edited by PSF