NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I was just watching Nxt. Seeing Big Damo from Sanity followed by the Heavy Machinery match gave me this eerie deja vu feeling of WCW Saturday Night. 

Interesting promo by Black after the sparring. Last weeks angle was great with Velveteen as iT made me feel truly uncomfortable.

Ohno match was fun. Aichner could be the next Cesaro type worker.

high-voltage.jpg

350?cb=20130824132557

No, he's shit.

Why is everyone so short on NXT these days? Even "monsters" like Sullivan, Dain and the bloke from Heavy Machinery all look well under 6 foot.

Positives though, Lorcan is all kinds of fun isn't he? Could watch him slap people and fly around all day, proper mental. Would rather watch him all day long than people like "Johnny wrestling".

Alister Black has to be the next big star, he has such an aura about him. Great in the ring with a killer finisher, really suprised how well he talks too. Can't wait for his fued with Ziggler.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Even "monsters" like Sullivan, Dain and the bloke from Heavy Machinery all look well under 6 foot.

I can confirm Dain is most certainly not under 6 foot tall.

I'm going to stick up for Cole and say I thought it was a perfectly good roster debut for a heel faction leader. Hit his marks, bumped like a good'un, didn't do anything pop-worthy, and only got the edge when his cohorts got involved. His lack of size does let him down though, and I really think they need two or three more similarly-sized guys as part of their unit to play him up as the mouthpiece for a pack of dogs rather than an unstoppable force on his own. I'd not seen him before NXT, but he does have a lot of twinkly charisma.

Just watching this week's show now. O'Reilly surpassed himself, with that weird monkey gyrations and his trying to be intense but looking confused look. And Cole is tiny. He was shorter than the ring announcer😂 I'm just not sold on any of them. Time will tell....

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, PunkStep said:

Neither is 6'3 Lars Sullivan. King of old school having a mare here. Otis, fair enough.

Haha, to be fair I never said they "were" under 6 foot, just that they look it on the TV show.

They just look like normal people stood next to the likes of No Way Jose, Lorcan etc, not intimidating in the slightest.

I'm sure I would say different if they ever stood next to me though!

9 hours ago, METAL ON METAL said:

The other day at an NXT house show, a fan stormed the ring and O’Reilly apparently kicked him in the face.

I’m not sure if it’s good or bad that it’s the most interesting thing he’s done thus far.

As if he was going to do anything else. All he does is kick

• Paid Members

I certainly wouldn't say that Lars Sullivan doesn't look intimidating, but I get what you mean about him not looking tall enough to be a "monster" by WWE standards - while the average height of wrestlers overall isn't as massive as it used to be, Lars could suffer from Ascension syndrome where he looks like a beast in NXT, but gets dwarfed on the main roster and loses a lot of credibility.

I don't think he needs to be a giant, though, just an old-fashioned bruiser.

No idea what they're doing with Adam Cole - they've booked his lackeys as being considerably more of a threat than he is, yet he's the one who came straight in by attacking the champion. In kayfabe terms, why are Fish and O'Reilly following him about? I said it when he debuted, but they seem to be banking on the audience caring because it's Adam Cole, rather than giving us reason to care about Adam Cole. Not being a ROH fan, my knowledge of Cole pre-NXT is a handful of matches, one I saw live and didn't enjoy, and his reputation - that's not enough, they need to sell him to people seeing him for the first time, not just shout his catchphrase like it means something.

12 hours ago, NorthSeaTiger said:

Just watching this week's show now. O'Reilly surpassed himself, with that weird monkey gyrations and his trying to be intense but looking confused look. And Cole is tiny. He was shorter than the ring announcer😂 I'm just not sold on any of them. Time will tell....

O'Reilly is the worst signing NXT has made in years.  What the fuck was that walk to the ring?

Cole had a good look in his street clothes.  In his ring gear he looks like a child with a full-grown man's body.

I'm always a fan of factions in wrestling, but the homegrown Sanity is SO much cooler, larger, more exciting than the ROH boys that it's not even funny. There's no way they can make them the focus of the show, it'll be a disaster.

Speaking of bland ROH alumni, is Roddy Strong a good heel?  Cos he's a terrible face.  He's a great worker but his promos and general character have failed to connect since those excellent vignettes when he was first built up.

Aside from all that, NXT has a great roster at the moment.  Sexy Drew, monstrous Lars, Heavy Machinery, Sanity, Jose, Velveteen Dream, Lorcan and Burch, and a ton of new women wrestlers to sort through.  I'm even coming round slowly to Aleister Black as a feature attraction, although he shouldn't speak IMO.

Odd aside, but... what is with the collection of weird backstage announcers?  You've got the blond lady who's terrible, and this week they had a guy in a suit with panda eyes who looked a bit like death warmed up.