Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

Katherine Ryan's first Netflix is special is fantastic but, yeah, second one is naff. I don't know if it's the pivot to trying to sell stand-up to a US market that made the difference, but it's just dreadful.

Chapelle's new stuff is shit, and being lauded by tedious people who'd probably hate it if they couldn't weaponise it as agreeing with them. To think that a guy who walked away from millions because he was uncomfortable with how some of his material was being received would just resort to lazy slurs and "political correctness gone mad" bollocks. Light-years away from, "game, blouses", in any case.

• Moderators

I thought the drip in quality on those Katherine Ryan shows was staggering too. I didn't know much about her going into the first one and was really pleasantly surprised. This second one was really difficult to get through.

I've really enjoyed Chapelle's new stuff so far, but haven't seen the latest one yet.

Any other good stand up shows to check out on Netflix? There's loads on there but quality is so mixed... The new Aziz show was really fucking good. And I can't remember if I commented on it since watching it ages ago but James Acaster's Repertoire was some is the best stand-up I've ever seen. I wouldn't have even thought to check him out if he hadn't been mentioned by some of you guys so thanks for that.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

John Mulaney is excellent and well worth your time. His best show, New In Town is not currently on Netflix, but The Comback Kid is and I thought that was great. There's another one there that I haven't seen, but I'm sure it's probably good. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Any other good stand up shows to check out on Netflix?

Kathleen Madigan, as mentioned above. Just noticed they have a couple of Sam Kinison shows on there now too. Couple of Marc Marons on there as well, Mike Birbiglia is pretty good, and I really like Colin Quinn as well.

Oh, and as gmoney mentioned, John Mulaney too. All his shows are superb.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

If you have Amazon Prime, they’ve uploaded a bunch of original UK stand up specials the other week. I’ve heard Ed Gambles is supposed to be really good. 

I'm still recovering from the break-up of Peacock & Gamble so his solo stuff is hard to watch, especially knowing how close he and Ian were.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

did they fall out badly?

I don't think it was a bad falling out, more so than Ian ended it before they imploded due to arguments and disagreements, thus it stopped any and all momentum they had. Ian will occasionally address it on his Patreon, and it just seems like he was in a bad space and severed the partnership, and their friendship too.

A few years ago, Ed did a stand-up bit on Russell Howard's show, and he mentioned his 'best friend' during the show and how he hoped they were best friends still. I think Ian addressed it much later on, basically saying that they weren't then and they aren't now but it was ages ago so don't quote me on that 100%.

Both guys have obviously moved on but i'm a massive sucker for a failed friendship narrative.

Edited by Accident Prone