WWE Raw 2/1/12 "It Begins" Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Paid Members
Again apart from the Owen Hart tragedy 1999 was stiil far better TV wise and PPV wise than the WWE in 2011.

That's the point, doughnut. The wrestling was dire (when they even bothered) and it was one of their most successful years ever.

And on the IC champs, Road Dogg, Goldust (of that time), Godfather and Chyna were absolutely awful. Edge was a complete rookie (and pretty sure he only had the belt for one night) and Venis wasn't as good as he would be.

Woah, woah, woah. Lets not get carried away and say things we can

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you actually watch any WWE in 1999 Dingus? because I'm starting to think that you are just using google, other then some decent undercard matches (usually involving some of those IC champions you cherry pickeed) 1999 was a fucking rotten year.

EDIT

It's still a guilty pleasure of mine though.

I was watching the WWF in 1999.

I started watching WWF in 1991 and have been watching wrestling ever since

WWF of 1999 let's see.

Mankind winning the WWF Championship for the first time.

The continuation of the Vince/Austin feud.

Undertaker with his Ministry of Darkness stable

The Corporation/ Corporate Ministry stable

The Famous Steve Austin beer truck skit

The Debut of Chris Jericho (Welcome to Raw Is Jericho)

Smackdown Debuts

Debut of Kurt Angle

Edge and Christian vs Hardy Boyz Ladder match from No Mercy which was the best ladder match of the year, not only did they receive a standing ovation at the PPV, that ovation carried on at RAW the following night.

The Kat Strips on Monday Night TV.

Mae Young giving birth to a hand, goofy but it was intended to be that way

Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry, of course the storylines that he was given were often embarrassing and were made to make him look stupid but hey the only bit of entertainment people got out of Mark Henry his entire career.

WWE PPV in 1999 remained strong yes you would still get the usual good to bad mix of matches but with People such as Taker, Mick Foley, Steve Austin, The Rock, HHH, Big Show, Kane in the main event scene there was no need to worry

But I forgot WWE in 1999 was a rotten year.

• Paid Members
Did you actually watch any WWE in 1999 Dingus? because I'm starting to think that you are just using google, other then some decent undercard matches (usually involving some of those IC champions you cherry pickeed) 1999 was a fucking rotten year.

EDIT

It's still a guilty pleasure of mine though.

I was watching the WWF in 1999.

I started watching WWF in 1991 and have been watching wrestling ever since

WWF of 1999 let's see.

Mankind winning the WWF Championship for the first time.

The continuation of the Vince/Austin feud.

Undertaker with his Ministry of Darkness stable

The Corporation/ Corporate Ministry stable

The Famous Steve Austin beer truck skit

The Debut of Chris Jericho (Welcome to Raw Is Jericho)

Smackdown Debuts

Debut of Kurt Angle

Edge and Christian vs Hardy Boyz Ladder match from No Mercy which was the best ladder match of the year, not only did they receive a standing ovation at the PPV, that ovation carried on at RAW the following night.

The Kat Strips on Monday Night TV.

Mae Young giving birth to a hand, goofy but it was intended to be that way

Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry, of course the storylines that he was given were often embarrassing and were made to make him look stupid but hey the only bit of entertainment people got out of Mark Henry his entire career.

WWE PPV in 1999 remained strong yes you would still get the usual good to bad mix of matches but with People such as Taker, Mick Foley, Steve Austin, The Rock, HHH, Big Show, Kane in the main event scene there was no need to worry

But I forgot WWE in 1999 was a rotten year.

The argument is that 1999 was an excellent year despite Raw having mainly shit or forgettable matches. So you listing a load of good angles is utterly meaningless.

If you can't grasp the discussion, I'd suggest bowing out gracefully.

On weekly tv in 1999, It was only really the main eventers that got decent time to do anything. The midcarders usually got a few minutes to come down, do their signature stuff, further their angles then get out of there. Segments were often no longer than 5 minutes.

They could do with a bit more of that as well. Wrestlers learned to make the most of their TV time and they'd be in and out before fans' patience wore thin.

Just rewatched the title match after watching it very tired originally and being confused. I'm still confused, it was an abortion of a finish and nothing made sense, from them intentionally getting Punk disqualified, to Guerrero shouting at the referee to count faster, to Ziggler grabbing and running off with the title, to there being no official announcement to tell anyone what the fuck was going on, to the commentators barely mentioning the fact that the title cant change hands through count out. And then, Punk doesn't even mention the fact that somebodies made off with his title when he confront Laurinitis.

On weekly tv in 1999, It was only really the main eventers that got decent time to do anything. The midcarders usually got a few minutes to come down, do their signature stuff, further their angles then get out of there. Segments were often no longer than 5 minutes.

They could do with a bit more of that as well. Wrestlers learned to make the most of their TV time and they'd be in and out before fans' patience wore thin.

I agree with this. WWE at the moment is great, but they do rely on a select few guys, and it makes the roster appear thinner than it actually is. Then when they need additional guys to fill up the show, they struggle.

A few quicker segments designed to reminds us of the talent depth wouldn't go a miss. Especially in the age of 30 second YouTube videos.

Says the guy who has John Cena in his sig.

He was in your sig the other day, you breast.

Tremendous.

Jony/Dingo - Do you believe the in ring product from WWF/WWE was better in 1999 or 2011?

I would change that 1999 and put the year 2000.

The year 2000 from an in ring and booking viewpoint was far better than 2011.

Just keeping you on your toes Power Butchi.

Answer is simple 1999 however it was the year when we lost Owen Hart to what was a tragic accident.

P.S. PowerButchi, on the whole most welsh people that I have met are very pleasant but you seem to be the exemption.

On the whole most people from Essex I've met are complete bells. You are not the exemption.

Quote from gmoney

The argument is that 1999 was an excellent year despite Raw having mainly shit or forgettable matches. So you listing a load of good angles is utterly meaningless.

If you can't grasp the discussion, I'd suggest bowing out gracefully.

Quote from The King of Swing

Did you actually watch any WWE in 1999 Dingus? because I'm starting to think that you are just using google, other then some decent undercard matches (usually involving some of those IC champions you cherry picked) 1999 was a fucking rotten year.

King of Swing posted his view I gave him my response.

There were a lot of good points in the WWF of 1999, so listing some of them is hardly meaningless.

WWF was hot property in 1999

The WWF reached its peak in 2000

They won the Monday Night War with WCW in March 2001

They were still producing good quality programming between the years of 2001-2004

2002 saw the introduction of:

John Cena

Randy Orton

Batista

Brock Lesnar

Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Hass

Jamie Noble

Even between 2005 and the end of August 2011 WWE were still producing quality programming.

WWE were on top of the world.

However since September 2011 the WWE have been starting to lose their ability to produce quality programming which is unfortunate.

• Paid Members

Wait. What the cunting fuck are you? You do nothing but bash Cena, yet you list his debut as a bloody positive?

There isn't a strong enough word to describe how severely disabled you are, "mongo" doesn't do you justice. Do they have a name for the ones that have to walk about wearing helmets? That's what you are.

I hope you get hit by a bus.

• Paid Members

Except for the Survivor Series shenanigans, Cena has really taken a back seat on television, particularly with matches since September hasn't he? And even then Survivor Series was an angle designed to please those who don't like Cena and enjoy The Rock and his 1999 prime.

Dingo - I wasn't comparing 1999 to 2011 angles wise hence me asking a question about the two from an in ring standpoint, but I've gathered you missed this.

Go and rewatch any PPV from the year, and judge the action between the ropes. Its shite, Wrestlemania especially.

Nobody is arguing with you angle wise, well, not really. But regarding match quality - you've no argument.

Archived