WWE Raw 2/1/12 "It Begins" Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

So we will finally find out who is behind the "It Begins" promo! Not only that but we've got a huge title match between CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler and a lot of people feel that the man behind the it Begins Promos is setting his sights on CM Punk.

What do you think will happen come Monday night? Will there be Rumble qualifiers? What else will happen to kick WWE's 2012 off with a bang?

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Will there be Rumble qualifiers?

I find this idea a bit mad. The idea that the roster is strong enough to have to have QUALIFIERS for the 30-man Rumble is a complete joke when you consider that back in the day, the 30 men in it consisted of whoever wasn't on the undercard, and that was practically the whole "superstar" roster.

Even if you took away, let's say 4 main eventers to contest two World title matches on the undercard, I doubt you could find 30 men on the roster that provoke more than apathy from the live crowd. I know a lot of people thought last year's 40-man version was great, but I honestly thought it was overblown, merely had a much greater "well, he isn't going to win" factor than normal, and essentially served to highlight how many guys they had on the roster that either weren't being regularly used on TV or didn't really deserve to still have a job among the sport's "elite" anyway.

Looking forward to the show. If it ends up being Jericho, I FUCKING HATE JERICHO for telegraphing it about 80 times on twitter. The cunt. I hate Jericho anyway, actually. It's sort of the opposite of his last comeback. I could not wait for his return last time, whereas this time it only feels like he's been gone five minutes and I don't miss him at all.

If it is him, and they do insist on going with Punk/Jericho (which will also be terrible, I'm sure of it - the promos will disappoint and bore after week two, and if they dare put the match on at Mania it's just Edge/Jericho all over again), I reckon Jericho interferes for the schmozz and it's Punk/Ziggler at the Rumble. If they go there, I give Ziggler an outside shot of losing the title match but winning the Rumble itself.

• Paid Members

I'm with NEWM, I'm probaby less enthusiastic, though. Jericho's a midcarder, I was bored of his last return before he was even done cutting that god-awful promo on Orton. "The sexy beast is back baybeeee!"

I'll be happy with it being Taker, ta. Change that to "fucking ecstatic" if it's Batista. Probably not likely given his Dillkid-esque stance on PG, but him being back in ring shape again has me adding 2+2 together and hoping it comes out =67.

A man can dream...

I really like heel Jericho so hope its him. Likewise I was bored of his return last time initially, but as soon as he went heel he was amazing. The Mic work and all round feud with Shawn Michaels us probably my favourite thing in wrestling the past few years. Add in his entertaining tag runs with Miz and Big Show there's plenty to be optimistic about if it is Jericho.

I like Undertaker n all but it'd feel a bit anti climatic to me if it was him, I get tho that to the average WWE fan these days an Undertaker return would feel amazing to them.

Whoever it is though I hope they make the reveal really good. They ruined Jerichos last return by showing him backstage first IMO and last years was obvious who it was a few weeks before so I got high hopes for this one.

Really looking forward to Punk/Ziggler too, wish they'd saved it got the Royal Rumble tho, but I guess having this match happen tomorrow is needed as to tie in with the It Begins stuff

Looking forward to it!

Will there be Rumble qualifiers?

I find this idea a bit mad. The idea that the roster is strong enough to have to have QUALIFIERS for the 30-man Rumble is a complete joke when you consider that back in the day, the 30 men in it consisted of whoever wasn't on the undercard, and that was practically the whole "superstar" roster.

Even if you took away, let's say 4 main eventers to contest two World title matches on the undercard, I doubt you could find 30 men on the roster that provoke more than apathy from the live crowd. I know a lot of people thought last year's 40-man version was great, but I honestly thought it was overblown, merely had a much greater "well, he isn't going to win" factor than normal, and essentially served to highlight how many guys they had on the roster that either weren't being regularly used on TV or didn't really deserve to still have a job among the sport's "elite" anyway.

I like the idea of qualifiers. It's an opportunity to main event Wrestlemania, it shouldn't be just handed to any C-level schmuck. Instead of just announcing Santino as being in the Rumble, have him win a solid 5 minute match against Otunga or something, then he celebrates like he won a world title. Little touches like that could help make the Rumble match seem like a big fucking deal again.

And screw having 40 wrestlers, 30 is great, with 22 being current roster, and 8 being legends/surprise returns.

I completely forgot that Punk vs. Ziggler was happening. Given the right amount of time (15-20 minutes), it could be an early TV match of the year candidate.

As for It Begins? I have some weird and crazy ideas, but this is WWE, so I'll say it's Undertaker *yawn*

I can't wait for the whole show, but I'm pumped up for this mystery guy. I will be happy for them to take the obvious route with it being The Undertaker as long as he

freshens up his look a bit, and Jericho would be great if he's on top form with a new character as I got sick of the angry little man in the suit solo act by Wrestlemania 25. Or it could be someone totally different as well as being awesome from the past who can do more than a nostalgia act and boost the buyrates for a bit until they make some new money making stars. I'd love that.

I'm also happy for Dolph Ziggler getting into the title match, but I want them to hold off on giving him the belt just because Punk has only had the title for a month and a half and I'm not into short reigns.

• Paid Members

Keeping Brodus from returning seems to be an angle. As Ace said last week 'Boy I'd hate to be his first opponent', as they are playing out that Brodus is getting really annoyed at his return date being pushed back.

Looking forward to seeing who the mystery man is. The obvious pick is Taker, the second but less obvious pick is Jericho. So it'll probably be either of them. I would love it if it was a total shock though but I can't see that happening.

Looking forward to Punk vs Mr Ziggles too.

Archived