WWE Raw 2/1/12 "It Begins" Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

He asked you a question. You're the one crying that people are avoiding issues raised, so answer the question asked. I didn't alter your mongley question so afford Max Power the same respect. He didn't ask you about 2000 you cretin, but 1999.

1999 or 2011?

• Paid Members
Again I havent once said I want JUST pure matches, I understand it's entertainment, but a good match between the World Champion and Intercontinental Champion isn't too much to ask

You sound like a right spoilt brat. We get quality matches on free tv ALL THE TIME as mentioned. Also as mentioned, the match quality we have in this age is as good across the board as we've ever had. The character development, booking and 1 or 2 other issues aren't as hot but the matches are the one thing that WWE has been really consistent with for some time.

I wasn't watching WWF in 1999.I stopped watching it in about 95 the got back into it in 2000/2001.So cant answer that qeustion unfortunately

Also i'm sure they do have great matches all the time,it just never seems to happen when I watch it

Jony/Dingo - Do you believe the in ring product from WWF/WWE was better in 1999 or 2011?

I would change that 1999 and put the year 2000.

The year 2000 from an in ring and booking viewpoint was far better than 2011.

Just keeping you on your toes Power Butchi.

Answer is simple 1999 however it was the year when we lost Owen Hart to what was a tragic accident.

P.S. PowerButchi, on the whole most welsh people that I have met are very pleasant but you seem to be the exemption.

• Paid Members
Answer is simple 1999 however it was the year when we lost Owen Hart to what was a tragic accident.

What's that got to do with anything?

1999 was an awful year for WWF matches. Go watch it back. The shows are often terrific but that's got sod all to do with wrestling. You only have to look at the list of IC champions in 1999 to see what a terrible year it was for the mid-card in-ring.

• Moderators

The TV matches in 1999 were dire! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in 2011 was as bad as Shawn Stasiak vs Mideon/Chaz vs Mideon/Meat vs Chaz.

You watch an episode of Heat from 1999 and then tell me it was a better year for matches on TV.

The TV matches in 1999 were dire! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in 2011 was as bad as Shawn Stasiak vs Mideon/Chaz vs Mideon/Meat vs Chaz.You watch an episode of Heat from 1999 and then tell me it was a better year for matches on TV.

Holy shit that sounds bad

Jony/Dingo - Do you believe the in ring product from WWF/WWE was better in 1999 or 2011?

I would change that 1999 and put the year 2000.The year 2000 from an in ring and booking viewpoint was far better than 2011.
Just keeping you on your toes Power Butchi.Answer is simple 1999 however it was the year when we lost Owen Hart to what was a tragic accident.P.S. PowerButchi, on the whole most welsh people that I have met are very pleasant but you seem to be the exemption.
1999 was terrible match quality wise, and pre Russo leaving had some terrible angles. Today's less is more is at least watchable

But hey what do I know,I'm just a tool

Agreed.

Seconded.

If you want more wrestling, watch NJPW or something similar. With WWE, you know what you're getting so if you don't like that product, find something that makes you happier.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. How outrageous of me to watch World WRESTLING Entertaiment and expect wrestling

Then go watch amateur wrestling.

In all seriousness though, WWE have done a decent job of increasing the number and length of matches on their tv shows. However they have to hold back on key matches back for their ppv shows. In addition if WWE had just pure matches, it would make badly paced television and would reduce the unique selling points of the ppvs.

Again I havent once said I want JUST pure matches, I understand it's entertainment, but a good match between the World Champion and Intercontinental Champion isn't too much to ask

It was Tongue and cheek response but fair enough.

I'm sorry if you didnt like that world champ vs ic champ match, but two things you need to keep in mind:

1) these guys have had longer matches in the past, so I don't think it's a case of wwe unwilling to give these matches.

2) they were clearly going with the out of nowhere finish for a reason. It clearly protects both men in the run up to both having competitive title matches on smackdown, whilst also giving Bryan a good clean win that shows him to be technically superior. Usually in This situation we would have a cheap DQ or count out, so at least we got an actually pin fall.

On a related note! I'm pleased to see wwe try and mix up the finishes a little at the moment. Bryan winning with pinning combinations, Rhodes winning with the beautiful disaster and Barrett winning with his side walk slam will help make match finishes a little more unpredictable.

IC Champs 1999

Val Venis

Road Dogg

Jeff Jarrett

Goldust

The Godfather

Edge

D'lo Brown

Chris Jericho

Chyna

Apart from Chyna I would hardly call the rest of the list as being sloppy in ring.

PowerButchi I see that you are deliberately picking out those examples in your response there, in any wrestling year you get embarrassing matches and segments.

Again apart from the Owen Hart tragedy 1999 was stiil far better TV wise and PPV wise than the WWE in 2011.

• Paid Members
Again apart from the Owen Hart tragedy 1999 was stiil far better TV wise and PPV wise than the WWE in 2011.

That's the point, doughnut. The wrestling was dire (when they even bothered) and it was one of their most successful years ever.

And on the IC champs, Road Dogg, Goldust (of that time), Godfather and Chyna were absolutely awful. Edge was a complete rookie (and pretty sure he only had the belt for one night) and Venis wasn't as good as he would be.

Did you actually watch any WWE in 1999 Dingus? because I'm starting to think that you are just using google, other then some decent undercard matches (usually involving some of those IC champions you cherry pickeed) 1999 was a fucking rotten year.

EDIT

It's still a guilty pleasure of mine though.

In-ring, there's no comparison. 2011 was pretty great for free wrestling action - far better, and more varied than 1999, which was largely dreadful, as several folk have rightly pointed out,

1999 was all about the characters, the attitude, and the entertainment. There was little balance with good wrestling. PPVs delivered the odd decent match to keep the old wrestling geeks quiet, but that year was almost entirely aimed at the new fans. You could argue that 2011 was nearer to the other extreme - Good wrestling action, but little character. Regardless though, if it's the quality of matches only we're talking about, 2011 wins by an absolute mile.

On weekly tv in 1999, It was only really the main eventers that got decent time to do anything. The midcarders usually got a few minutes to come down, do their signature stuff, further their angles then get out of there. Segments were often no longer than 5 minutes.

Archived