WWE Raw 2/1/12 "It Begins" Discussion Thread

Cobra1000

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Title match opened the second hour.

Thought as much and that's bad news for Punk even in his altered position on TV. I'm surprised people didn't stay tuned, or tune back in, for the Y2J reveal though

• Paid Members

Thought as much and that's bad news for Punk even in his altered position on TV. I'm surprised people didn't stay tuned, or tune back in, for the Y2J reveal though

Who tunes in and out of a program? I either watch something or I don't. I don't flick back and forth. Always found it odd that the ratings fluctuate so much.

Should point out, I can kind of see why the start of the second hour loses/gains viewers because people might have been watching something else or want to watch something different. I'm talking about the quarter hour fluctuations.

Jericho's return lost viewers.

No wonder. I couldn't be bothered to stay up for the show so I set it to record. In the morning, I fast forwarded to the BIG REVEAL!~ I used to love Jericho, but even I couldn't be arsed anymore and switched it off almost immediately when I saw his interpretation of David Hasselhoff dancing on the Berlin wall.

Does nobody tell Jericho that he looks like a benny?

Who tunes in and out of a program? I either watch something or I don't. I don't flick back and forth. Always found it odd that the ratings fluctuate so much.

It strikes me as really odd as well, but wrestling does lend itself to it more than a standard drama because the show's not usually telling a straight narrative. It's easy enough to ignore whatever Air Boom and Jack Swagger are doing and turn it back on for Cena's bits, etc. I expect stuff like Big Brother and X Factor has certain parts of the show that grab more viewers too.

• Paid Members

Me too rick, although I always watch it recorded and often FF stuff like the Divas and sometimes Swagger so it makes sense for people to turn over until the offending content is gone.

• Paid Members

It strikes me as really odd as well, but wrestling does lend itself to it more than a standard drama because the show's not usually telling a straight narrative. It's easy enough to ignore whatever Air Boom and Jack Swagger are doing and turn it back on for Cena's bits, etc. I expect stuff like Big Brother and X Factor has certain parts of the show that grab more viewers too.

But how do you know when Cena's on? Like Tom says he's surprised more people didn't tune in for Jericho's return, how would they know it was coming? You'd have to be sat there constantly flicking back and forth which would make the rating worthless surely?

I suppose if the opposition is Monday Night Football, there are so many bloody adverts in both people could be flicking between the two?

• Paid Members

It would be a risky ploy but you would generally just know he'll be on in the last twenty re: Cena, and as for Y2J you would just need to assume that Punk/Ziggler would go at least 10 minutes, so you'd know you've likely got a bit of a buffer. It's not something I'd do but I can sort of see people's logic

Yeah, I've got mates that change channels every time an advert comes on the telly. It's annoying. A lot of viewers are surely trained to know when the interesting bits are coming as well, because they're usually always at the same part of the show (start, midpoint, end). WWE might have tried to be too clever by putting Jericho's return on one of the non-marquee segments.

• Paid Members

I can sort of see what they were thinking; in normal circumstances, RAW going off the air on that Jericho segment would have been a pretty odd way to finish the show, but seems as last week we ended on Kane making Cena listen to people chanting "Cena Sucks" and this week we ended with Kane trying to burn Ryder, it wouldn't have been that much of a bizarre end

Thought it was a good week to finally sign up here with all the discussion :thumbsup:

Interesting to read such diverse opinions, though I'm not surprised. I definitely hope that the videos are linked to/explained a lot more in the coming weeks though I'm happy to wait a little more. Even though it was a high probability that it was going to be Y2J, I enjoyed the fact that they did something different with him. I might have had a different opinion if I'd stayed up all night for it though.

We'll have more respect for you if you just admit you're talking shit, haven't seen the show and that you're banging on about great alternatives to WWE without watching many. Especially not all of that list of alternatives you posted.

Edit: If I watched a PPV, I'd have a few points to make on it. I wouldn't just say 'wow, what a great event. The highlights were:

CM Punk vs. The Miz vs. Alberto Del Rio

Mark Henry vs. The Big Show

Wade Barrett vs. Randy Orton

etc.

I'd say 'really good PPV. 2011 has been a great year for the in-ring product. I'd go as far as to say it's better than 99's matches. I wasn't bothered to see the three way before the PPV but it was a fun, action packed match. Ricardo's bump was nuts, Punk seemed to shine overcoming the two heels and felt like more of a main event face to me' yada yada yada...

Hello PepperPlunge.

We'll have more respect for you if you just admit you're talking shit, haven't seen the show and that you're banging on about great alternatives to WWE without watching many. Especially not all of that list of alternatives you posted.

I will admit that I probably did overreact a bit in some of my ramblings but my sole intention was to merely give you my own opinions on how I felt in the regards to the current WWE product.

I had actually watched the whole NJPW Wrestle Kingdom show earlier this morning and my main reason for comparing the show to the current WWE product was to highlight the differences between the WWE style and the Puroresu style.

I have actually been watching all those alternatives that I listed mainly due to not enjoying the current WWE product as much as I used to.

The other reason for that list was just to show people who may not have been aware that there are other promotions out there to watch not just WWE.

• Paid Members
The other reason for that list was just to show people who may not have been aware that there are other promotions out there to watch not just WWE.

I'd be surprised if anyone here doesn't know the existence of other wrestling promotions.

I don't know the exact timing of Punk's title defense, but could it be a case of either:

- People see Punk's match THEN change channel.

- People see Punk match is up next THEN change channel.

It isn't entirely clear which one it is. Be strange that so many people would tune out just before a significant match.

Archived