Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I haven't been in serious pain but that's no excuse to go and take hard drugs. I'm not saying some people haven't had hard lives and they do that stuff to escape it just like some do with alcohol, I know that happens but when you have someone like Perry Saturn who earned a lot of money and he was already homeless for 5 years and then seemed ok for a few years, he got himself together again and now it's happened again.....it just seems like history repeating itself. Why didn't he save all that money he earned in WCW and WWF. Is it not enough? Hundreds of thousands not enough?

When I looked at his fundraiser at the start of the week It was at $15,000. That is more than enough for anyone, homeless or not to go and pay many months rent on a flat and get food in the fridge. $15,000 is a lot of money. There are people in this country living in council houses that are on benefits that manage to get by, they manage to feed themselves and pay their bills. Fans have given this man $15,000 and then Jericho adds another $5k to it and who knows what it's at now and is it gonna change his life? Or is it gonna go on drugs and drink and a year down the line the beggin bowl gets handed out again. For some people they can't be fixed.

I have sympathy for the man but money doesn't fix the issues he has. If money solved these problems then rich people wouldn't die. You can't solve those problems with money. I will say this about wrestling fans, they really do love handing their money over. £30 for Sky Sports, another £10 on the WWE Network, whatever the cost they pay it and sure enough they will make sure Perry gets his $100k. I certainly wont be part of it. Money does not fix drug addicts, money does not fix alcoholics, Money does not cure illnesses. That's an issue all of society has, everyone wanting more and more money thinking that money is gonna fix everything when it really doesn't.

It's a shame this thing happens all the time now online. Wrestlers wanting fans to pay for things for them and they've made more money than all of us combined will see in our lifetimes and I think it's fair to say, I don't know any of you but I think all of us have it pretty good compared to some of them.

$15,0000 is enough for anyone to get a decent place and pay rent on it for a good while and still feed themselves and in that time try their best to find work and his case he can do the conventions and do signings at indy shows and with a lot of those shows the promotors fly them in. He could be doing stuff like that just now. I don't know about the medical bills or how that works but that's when people should be telling him to go to the WWE and getting them to foot that bill because they will do it. They pay for all that, he uses the money he gets now to get himself a place and get the rent paid for a while, maybe even a years rent and then in that time either get a job or try and get signing gigs and convention appearances and if Jericho is really his friend Jericho could put that word in to WWE, straight to McMahon and get him the rehab or medical attention he needs. It's not like some others that have no connections in WWE, Chris Jericho is a good connection to have and I think Jericho would fight his corner.

• Paid Members

I don't know about the medical bills or how that works but that's when people should be telling him to go to the WWE and getting them to foot that bill because they will do it. They pay for all that

Citation needed. 

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss it further with you because I think you might be ill. Good day.

• Paid Members

I haven't been in serious pain but that's no excuse to go and take hard drugs. I'm not saying some people haven't had hard lives and they do that stuff to escape it just like some do with alcohol, I know that happens but when you have someone like Perry Saturn who earned a lot of money and he was already homeless for 5 years and then seemed ok for a few years, he got himself together again and now it's happened again.....it just seems like history repeating itself. Why didn't he save all that money he earned in WCW and WWF. Is it not enough? Hundreds of thousands not enough?

You are quite right, it is not an excuse to take hard drugs, but it is a reason. You have a guy who is renound to be tough. A former army ranger who turned pro wrestler. Both careers you have to be able to handle more pain than an average guy like me and....well, like me. He did an elbow drop off the top rope while he was recovering from a broken leg for fucks sake.

A few years on, the same guy suffers an injury. The injury causes him pain that goes through the barriers of where normal medication can help. Now, if you are offered a solution to this pain, you will take it, no matter on your views about drugs. Now, I'm known on here for my anti drug stance. Hate and loath drug use from the "harmless" cannabis to heroin. Never done them never will. But even I can see that people can be in such desperation that they will take whatever help they can get to get some level of Day to Day comfort.

In my old job I had to work with a woman who was a former heroin addict. She got into heroin as a result of having to do sex acts on her father so he would leave her younger siblings alone. It was the only was she could cope. Fucking hero in my book who thankfully got herself and her family out of that situation, and is now a successful worker helping people in the same situation she was in. Unfortunately in your book, she would be scum.

Jericho can obviously see someone who's career choices we similar to his (I.e.pro wrestler), and can see that under certain events, his life may have ended up the same as Saturns. He greatful for that, so he helps a little. Going back to your original statement that this is a drop in the ocean for him, who's to say that this is the only charitable act he's done this week. From what I gather he is quite the philantropist. Maybe he's donated a shit load to other causes that don't register with the public? Either way it doesn't matter, he helped out where he didn't have to.

I think you need to take a long, hard look at yourself, count your blessings and if neither of them change you, fuck off.