Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

An hour show would have to only be filmed in the east coast and central, in the west coast Raw and Smackdown starts at 5pm, so I'm sure they couldn't do a one hour show before that, unless they don't mind half the audience missing it while they work.

It says a lot about his indy rep that he can immediately throw away a portion of his "guy you recognise from WWE" appeal.

• Paid Members

Does anyone else feel that Aries wasn't as much cop as he, and his reputation, would have you believe? Good on the mic from what I've seen of him, but I would say that is the stronger part of his act, rather than his ringwork. However I can only go by his NXT/WWE work.

If I were him, at his age and with his prospects in WWE due to his size, I'd have been attempting the full time switch to the commentary booth. Though admittedly they were overstocked (with bodies more than talent) in that department .

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Does anyone else feel that Aries wasn't as much cop as he, and his reputation, would have you believe? Good on the mic from what I've seen of him, but I would say that is the stronger part of his act, rather than his ringwork. However I can only go by his NXT/WWE work.

If I were him, at his age and with his prospects in WWE due to his size, I'd have been attempting the full time switch to the commentary booth. Though admittedly they were overstocked (with bodies more than talent) in that department .

Funny you should say that, because I felt the same about him when he first showed up in TNA. I'd seen a bit of his RoH work, which left me thinking "God, another spot-monkey", but he completely changed it up in TNA. He was still a bit spotty, but most of his work was good, had a logic behind it, and he sold properly too. He even had signature spots that got people popping - when he did that dropkick to the corner, you knew the brainbuster was coming. 

Haven't seen him in NXT yet. That new look makes him look like Dynamite Kid though.

• Paid Members

I was really surprised at the time that they had him end Joe's massive title run in ROH, I would've thought it would be Alex Shelley (who was the real stand-out from that little stable) if they were going for one of those lot. He was more impressive and a much more rounded worker than his three stable mates at the time.

• Paid Members

I had far more interest in Aries on commentary than in the ring, he grew into a decent hand once he found his groove, and his repeated use of "I'd stick my thumb in his eye" whenever Graves asked him what he'd do in a specific situation was usually enough to get a chuckle out of me.

In the ring, he wasn't really doing anything that practically everyone in WWE since Daniel Bryan, and absolutely everyone in NXT, wasn't already doing, and as I'd never really cared for him before WWE, it did nothing for me.

It was odd that they had him basically acting as a heel - he was always arrogant and conceited - while working babyface, especially after a prolonged run as a heel announcer. I know it was because they needed him as a face against Neville, but it never really added up.

Saying that, he was more over than just about anyone else in the division, and a huge part of that had to be that, prior to his in-ring "debut", he'd been on commentary every single week, been doing his "interviewer" schtick, and had more time than anyone else on 205 Live to establish his character. Shows, as if it needs to be said, that people will care more about a character if they feel that they know them, rather than it just being the third bloke on the show to hit a suicide dive.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I had far more interest in Aries on commentary than in the ring, he grew into a decent hand once he found his groove, and his repeated use of "I'd stick my thumb in his eye" whenever Graves asked him what he'd do in a specific situation was usually enough to get a chuckle out of me.

In the ring, he wasn't really doing anything that practically everyone in WWE since Daniel Bryan, and absolutely everyone in NXT, wasn't already doing, and as I'd never really cared for him before WWE, it did nothing for me.

It was odd that they had him basically acting as a heel - he was always arrogant and conceited - while working babyface, especially after a prolonged run as a heel announcer. I know it was because they needed him as a face against Neville, but it never really added up.

Saying that, he was more over than just about anyone else in the division, and a huge part of that had to be that, prior to his in-ring "debut", he'd been on commentary every single week, been doing his "interviewer" schtick, and had more time than anyone else on 205 Live to establish his character. Shows, as if it needs to be said, that people will care more about a character if they feel that they know them, rather than it just being the third bloke on the show to hit a suicide dive.

Not having seen his NXT work, I can't comment, but perhaps they thought that, as he got over pretty well as a heel who then turned face without changing character too much in TNA, that they might as well save time and just debut him as a face? 

WWE are sort of caught between a rock and a hard place, I think. The old templates for babyfaces just aren't working, so maybe they thought, given the success of arrogant heels turning face, Aries' heel persona was a natural modern face.

I don't know really though, I can only postulate.