WWE Summerslam 2011 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

The Alberto Del Rio thing was a victim of timing - they're due to visit Mexico soon, and (I believe) show RAW from there. They haven't really done this before, and they want Del Rio as champ there. Which is the right choice.

It's just a shame about the timing, as it wasn't quite right for it, but there wasn't a better time to do it.

With regards to the Punk/Cena feud, it could have been incredible had Punk been out for longer, and they built this up for months, however, as a SummerSlam main event feud, it was an amazing build up.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up watching SummerSlam live round my mate's house as a last minute decision. Glad I did, as I thought it was a really good show and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Enjoyed the surprise 6 man match. All action. Mark Henry and Sheamus was a good 'big man beating the shit out of each other' match, Kelly showed more fire and intensity than I have ever seen from her and the finish was perfectly executed, Wade/D.Bryan was also a really solid match.

Orton/Christian was very good. Orton has really nailed his character. Genuine moment of thinking that Nash might be Christian's 'problem solver' and how awesome would a Nash/Christian pairing be. Neither of us expected Nash to turn up in the main event. Brutal ending. Have really enjoyed the Orton/Christian series.

Main event throws up all sorts of questions. Did HHH see Cena's foot on the rope? Why did Nash powerbomb Punk? Did HHH know anything about it? Punk and Cena will both now be gunning for new champ ADR but both have issues with HHH.

Great booking by WWE which ensures people will tune in to Raw tonight (and, hopefully, for the next few weeks) to see what happpens.

Ive enjoyed WWE more in the past 6 weeks or so than I have done in years. Kudos WWE.

I'd completely forgotten about the R-Truth/Jimmy Hart segment till I saw a spider today, in the rush of the fallout after the main event I'd forgotten about what was easily one of the funniest backstage segments in some time.

I really hope Jimmy Hart is back to manage, there's a lot of people who'd benefit from his charisma.

The Alberto Del Rio thing was a victim of timing - they're due to visit Mexico soon, and (I believe) show RAW from there. They haven't really done this before, and they want Del Rio as champ there. Which is the right choice.

It's just a shame about the timing, as it wasn't quite right for it, but there wasn't a better time to do it.

With regards to the Punk/Cena feud, it could have been incredible had Punk been out for longer, and they built this up for months, however, as a SummerSlam main event feud, it was an amazing build up.

See I was hoping that Del Rio would of cashed in during a untelevised house show in Mexico instead. Would of been very different and reassert he "anything can happen" mentality.

• Paid Members

Wotcha.

Opening six man tag was alright. I love stuck together tag team matches like this, so it was fine by me. That Mysterio splash is starting to piss me off though.

Women's match was the usual piss break bollocks. Mind you, I find it funny that Kelly Kelly outperformed Beth Phoenix and, credit to the lass, she has improved incredibly over the last year. Still a waste of fucking time though.

Sheamus v Mark Henry was good stuff. I though it ended well as it pushes the feud on because Sheamus wasn't pinned, enhances his face credentials, and Henry still looks unstoppable. Great effort. Henry looked in great shape too, in the past he would have been knackered after 5 minutes.

Barrett had by far his best match since he came to the WWE, but Bryan can get a good match out of anyone right now. The Wasteland is a shite finishing move though. and the match was ruined by Booker T constantly saying "D-Bryan". I don't see it necessarily casting a shadow over Bryan having the MITB briefcase, there are still 7 months to Wrestlemania after all.

The Edge appearance didn't bother me one bit and the turn on Christian was possibly the crappest and most predictable thing of the night. Good match though, probably went on too long, and Christian should probably have won.

The main event was a great match. No blown spots, fantastic crowd, great understated effort by HHH as the ref. Almost as good as the original. Obviously I completely agree with TripleA that the ending was a mess and I've no idea what's going on and the Nash appearance was shit and Alberto finally getting the belt was bollocks and Cena not going over clean was wank and they should just have resolved everything there and then and had nothing to build on for Raw and the coming weeks. That would have been a lot better all round.

Or, alternatively, TripleA is a gormless fadge and it was one of the best PPV endings for years and leaves open numerous storyline possibilities, introduced two new dynamics to the magnificent Punk-Cena feud, and leaves us with the potential for an awesome Raw.

Largely enjoyed.

The ending went from disappointing to amazing within a minute. HHH makes a mistake, NASH runs in and Bertie cashes in; HHH has completely lost control, What the hell is going to happen? Raw is unmissable.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, WWE. I call you all the names under the sun for releasing Masters, and then you go and pull the trigger on fucking BIG SEXY!. All is forgiven.

The rest of the show was great, but pales in comparison to having Kev back. This is potentially the most exciting angle of the year, for me anyway. I can't wait to see wherever this is going. Why is he there?, what potential dream matches are we gonna get?, will he get a decent amount of mic time?.

I honestly think this will bump the ratings. Nash is a genuine star, who hasn't been completely overexposed/done to death over the years.

I can't wait for Raw!.

NASH

Cleets is going to be fucking gutted he went to bed halfway through.

I was still watching, thank god!. I just got too tired to bother keeping up with the chatroom.

I am kind of gutted I missed the chat though, I bet the room exploded when he came on. I'll be on tonight, for sure.

• Paid Members

Lovely stuff by WWE. I was worried they were going to blow their load with 'Triple H turns on Punk' on the PPV and they'd have a match next month, rushing the whole thing. Instead we get big Kev back to stir shit up. I don't know about you guys but CM Punk v Nash on the mic sounds like 10 minutes of must see TV. Their match will probably be a bit shite (lets be honest, Nash moves slower than JR these days) but it'll be a great build. Punk is red hot right now, lets hope WWE don't fuck it up. They've been on the verge of doing a couple of times.

The main event was very heated and featured some cracking spots. The bad commentary sticks out in big time matches like these though, as they miss stories and calls, like Cena out wrestling the self-proclaimed "Best Wrestler In The World". Cena v Punk truly the Flair/Steamboat of our time.

The rest was a fun show. Christian v Orton was a lovely match, the crowd weren't into it much at the start but both men worked har and they had the crowd for most of it. I honestly would sit through another Christian v Orton match as he's the only guy other than CM Punk that has made babyface Orton exciting.

I too fear for D-Bryan, the crowd were a bit dead (even chanting "boring" for a brief period) and the loss even had King and Booker scratching their heads. Shame but expected.

Good show, with a cracking main event, storyline progression and new feuds. Braw.

I'd bet my biscuits that this get's built as CM Punk, the anti-establishment character, in a short-lived uneasy alliance with the COO Triple H, both with an axe to grind with the enigmatic insurgent Kevin Nash.

I think Stephanie will be revealed as having hired Nash to do her bidding to make sure Punk gets his comeuppance, as she doesn't take personal insults lightly as opposed to her laid back Husband. Triple H takes umbridge with this circumventing of his power by his wife and best friend and we end up with Nash w/Steph vs. Punk w/Triple H. Then, we'll see the most unsurprising turn of the year, and 'The Establishment' (HHH/Nash/Stephanie) will feud with Punk in the lead up to Rumble or Mania (depending on how long turn they see this...).

• Paid Members
Hunter had a proper "what the fuck have you done?" look on his face when he clocked Nash. Whatever Nash's agenda is I don't think it's Hunter's doing.

I think they'll go down the Del Rio/bodyguard route. Although they may have Del Rio play a 'corporate champion' of sorts. It makes sense, Vince tried to get Del Rio to cash in at MITB. The McMahons did it again, with a little from from a friend.

Ideally, you want Triple H turning heel on Punk and for the Kliq to come back as his goons. Although, I can't see HBK turning heel and they won't touch Scott Hall. So maybe just X Pac then.

This is why that ending was so great and why Raw has been very watchable since Punk cut THAT promo. They leave you with so many scenarios that it's impossible not to tune in to find out. WWE doing good episodic TV again, wow.

• Paid Members
Lovely stuff by WWE. I was worried they were going to blow their load with 'Triple H turns on Punk' on the PPV and they'd have a match next month, rushing the whole thing. Instead we get big Kev back to stir shit up. I don't know about you guys but CM Punk v Nash on the mic sounds like 10 minutes of must see TV. Their match will probably be a bit shite (lets be honest, Nash moves slower than JR these days) but it'll be a great build. Punk is red hot right now, lets hope WWE don't fuck it up. They've been on the verge of doing a couple of times.

The main event was very heated and featured some cracking spots. The bad commentary sticks out in big time matches like these though, as they miss stories and calls, like Cena out wrestling the self-proclaimed "Best Wrestler In The World". Cena v Punk truly the Flair/Steamboat of our time.

The rest was a fun show. Christian v Orton was a lovely match, the crowd weren't into it much at the start but both men worked har and they had the crowd for most of it. I honestly would sit through another Christian v Orton match as he's the only guy other than CM Punk that has made babyface Orton exciting.

I too fear for D-Bryan, the crowd were a bit dead (even chanting "boring" for a brief period) and the loss even had King and Booker scratching their heads. Shame but expected.

Good show, with a cracking main event, storyline progression and new feuds. Braw.

WHOA, lets not spunk all over the bedsheets here man

• Paid Members

They're my bed sheets, bro.

I was referencing someone on here. It was a nice piss take of someone saying Richards v Edwards is the Flair v Steamboat of our generation. Cena v Punk is brilliant.

• Paid Members

Absolutely, Flair & Steamboat couldn't hold a candle to these two on the stick!

I've stopped watching PPV's because 95% of the wrestling bores me. I read the report for this and nearly choked on my coffee. The end sounds fucking ace. Add me to the list of people who don't love ADR at the moment though. They've done nothing to capitalise on him since the Rumble.

A Vinny Mac inspired bands of guys, led by ADR and Nash sounds like an awesome angle though.

Archived