WWE Summerslam 2011 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
They're my bed sheets, bro.

I was referencing someone on here. It was a nice piss take of someone saying Richards v Edwards is the Flair v Steamboat of our generation. Cena v Punk is brilliant.

phew!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Their match will probably be a bit shite (lets be honest, Nash moves slower than JR these days)

Disagree. Nash moves just fine for a 7 footer in his 50's. He's been having some good matches on the indies.

Just because he moves at a certain pace, doesn't mean he can't move faster. People have been saying he was a cripple that can't move since he joined TNA, but they always go into hiding or just plain ignore when he proves them wrong. Like his cracking match with Joe a couple of years ago where he set the pace and bumped around like a madman. Same with his miracle carry job of Mick Foley. He just hasn't had to since then.

7 footers don't need to run.

The only thing missing from Alberto Del Rio cashing in and winning the WWE Championship was Ricardo Rodriguez going nuts announcing him as the winner. The Royal Rumble could have looked timid in comparison. ;)

• Paid Members
Disagree. Nash moves just fine for a 7 footer in his 50's. He's been having some good matches on the indies.

Just because he moves at a certain pace, doesn't mean he can't move faster. People have been saying he was a cripple that can't move since he joined TNA, but they always go into hiding or just plain ignore when he proves them wrong. Like his cracking match with Joe a couple of years ago where he set the pace and bumped around like a madman. Same with his miracle carry job of Mick Foley. He just hasn't had to since then.

7 footers don't need to run.

Well I'm willing to be proven wrong. You did give a couple of good example of what Nash can do when he can be arsed (the Joe match being really good). Most of the time though he can look very old, instead of giant immovable arsekicker. Although that was the tail end of his TNA run.

I'm now more firmly convinced that Vince and/or Steph will be behind Nash's appearence. It all adds up.

Vince has effectively lost his position as a result of Punk. Steph has been insulted by Punk and is upset about what has happened to her dad. But she also knows she's incurring the wrath of Triple H if he finds out what's gone on (ie: her bringing Nash in), hence that look on her face as Trips went to the ring. The Nash connection also ties in to when Vince brought in the nWo, when he and Flair were feuding (ie: Past form, and there is a link). There's also the fact that Vince was looking for Del Rio to cash in at MITB so, one way or another, he's got his man as champ and is still exerting some influence on the company even though he's been removed from power. The family have also got their short term payback on Punk.

Really don't think Nash will be presented as Del Rio's bodyguard. If he was, why wouldn't he have hung around to see Del Rio cash in? Why hit and run, when he could merely signal for Del Rio to come out and cash in? It would be the flattest outcome going if that were the case as well. The simple reason is that he didn't want to deal with Triple H (not in the macho sense- he just didn't want to hang around for questions).

Oh, and Triple H and Cena's foot on the ropes? I think it'll come out in time that he in fact DID see it, but refused to call it. He's basically tried to curry favour with Punk to avoid further damage to the company he's now running and therefore, despite appearing neutral, was favouring Punk throughout.

Have I thought put too much thought into this?

Mixed thoughts from me, mostly positive I guess. Looking at them on their own merits, the big 2 matches delivered. Nothing on the show was bad, but there wasn't a whole lot to it. It felt more like a shortened Wrestlemania 27 where the emphasis was more on the entertainment side of it. The first match didn't start to quarter past the hour, the show ended at quarter to the hour, and it wasn't short of dead time and filler. 6 matches (you're not getting the cash-in!), none of which were particularly long, is more in line with an old In Your House than the supposed second biggest show of the year. Padding out with adverts, performances, and uninteresting promos didn't help matters either. And for an Alberto fan like myself the ending managed to be great and lacklustre in equal measures.

- I was glad to see the opener as a 6 man tag and it was a good way to start up the show. It was at least something different from another tired 1vs1, and it was a fine little 10 minute match, albeit a bit short. Miz looked great, and that huge Kofi dive was cool as hell. Rey did nothing so hopefully he's just saving himself for tonight, rather than nursing an injury.

- Henry v Sheamus was generally fun, although the final spot didn't come off as spectacular as it sounds imo. I was hoping Sheamus would be booked at least not to lose, but I suppose that in not being pinned/destroyed unlike everyone else Henry's faced, he still came out of it reasonably strong. Hopefully this isn't the end for these two, a no co/dq match would seem like the logical step for the next PPV. A couple of nitpicky things about Henry though, I wish he wouldn't stonewall punches and kicks, it makes them look like crap when he's not even flinching. Also, his finisher: when you have someone up for it, is it easier to fall forward and destroy him, or to hit a mildly damaging backbreaker? I always think the slam would come off better if he drove him to the mat from a gorilla press position or at least throwing the guy upwards, which he's easily able to do with anyone under 300lbs.

- The Womens match surprised me. I barely pay any attention to them, but this was actually a pretty decent little bout considering.

- Again, Bryan/Barrett was solid, and a worthy addition to the card. Not jaw dropping or anything, but still good stuff. Barretts finisher is really ugly though.

- I know absolutely nothing about the portly lad singing, but I enjoyed the first tune he sang. It was really dragging with the 2nd one though. Strange looking fella all the same - thought I was listening to bloody Oscar for a minute. Looked a bit rapey at the end too, he's no Mickie James.

- Orton/Christian was real good, which is the least you expect with these two. Not as good as over The Limit or their first Smackdown match though, and I also preferred Orton/Punk in terms of plunder matches. Wasn't a big fan of the telegraphed ending either. Still a decent blowoff though and you wonder where Christian goes from here. Sheamus once his current feud's over and Henry goes onto face Orton? Maybe a mid year trade would be best

- Punk/Cena in its own right was great though. Not up to the heights of MITB, but it couldn't possibly be, and if you hadn't been spoiled by that, you'd probably be raving about last nights effort. Nash's attack was a real 'WTF' moment and he looked great. I wouldn't mind a little mini-feud leading to a 'B' PPV between them. Through the match, the crowd were pretty good, but it sounded a bit strange during the entrances as all I could hear was boos for both of them.

- Whilst marking for Alberto's Cash in, the segment just didn't feel right to me for some reason. Maybe it was the lukewarm reception, the whole MITB cash-in thing being so overdone that it's lost its impact, or the fact that it wasn't all about him. I think back to just how awesome it was when he won the Royal Rumble with him going nuts, and Ricardo screaming his name over and over like a right mentalist. If anything, you'd expect winning the actual title to eclipse that, and a cash-in to be pretty shocking. But it all ended up a bit underwhelming. Probably because the focus of the match/angle was as much on 4 other guys as it was on Alberto. I'm glad he's champ, even if it is just for a day, but in an ideal world, I'd have preferred it under different circumstances, rather than as a sideshow in a much bigger picture.

Still, you gotta love just how unpredictable things are at the top of the WWE these days. The end of every show seems to leave more questions than answers, which maybe doesn't make for the most satisfying viewing, but it doesn't half make you eager to tune into the next show. I'm looking forward to see where they're going with things and I don't have a clue what's all going to go down in the coming months.

Overall, it's generally a thumbs up. Can

• Paid Members
FUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

I knew i would be reading the spoilers as i am offshore and dont get back for over a week....but i missed THAT?!?!? To make matters even worse, my missus pm'd me on facebook to tell me the Sky order wouldnt go through so looks like we missed taping it too.

BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!

* Heads back to work to sulk.....* :angry::(

You didn't miss much, it was all rather "meh" really.

when cole said "Punk kicked out of the AA", booker should have turned round and said "is it coz he's no good at fixing cars?" :/

:laugh:

During the Sheamus/Henry match when they went through the barricade, did anyone else notice the guy in the red shirt who was guarding it beforehand?

He left it far too late in moving from it and when he ran away he fell over onto his arse. :laugh:

Only video I could find of it, though it doesn't show the reply from the other camera angle which you can see it better from.

Really enjoyed that, enjoyed the event as a whole it a lot more than I thought I would going in as I only really bought it for the one match. There weren't any bad matches on the show and as with MITB, it left a lot of questions going into RAW, which is how all their PPV's should be. Well done to them again.

The six man tag was a good surprise opener, had some nice spots and got a few guys on the card that should have been on it in the first place. Sheamus and Henry had a lot better of a match than many big men would have, wondered how they would with both men having a bit of momentum so you can't really blame them for the countout finish. Keeps both men strong.

The Divas match was decent, better than I thought it would be. Certainly the most athletic ability Kelly Kelly has shown and I liked the finish with the reversal of the Glam Slam. Bryan/Barrett was very good, Bryan seems to bring the best out of a lot of people as Barrett tried some new stuff and looked a lot more agile than I thought he was. Surprised that Barrett got the win but I hope they're pushing him again.

The World Heavyweight Title match was great. Was nice to see Edge make an appearance before it, enjoyed his promo on Christian. Orton and Christian always have good matches and with the stipulation, this was a bit different. There were some great spots and the reversal into the RKO

Loved the main event. Anyway, the match itself was smoother than the MITB match. A lot of great counters and its obvious now that Cena is gonna get the ''you can't wrestle'' chants regardless of what he does. What the fuck does the man have to do? Was disappointed with the initial ending, it looked like the PPV was just gonna end there but they saved it. Kevin Nash attacking Punk was totally out of left field, as was Del Rio cashing in. I expected HHH to help Punk win considering how the show was hinting at HHH helping Cena but they went a more unpredictable route and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Archived