Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

We really enjoyed Deadpool and Wolverine.

Maybe it’s easier to enjoy when you don’t care about the MCU or what critics think. It‘s gory, stupid and full of “look how confusing and abundant this MCU shit is” jokes which I guess is funnier to people who haven’t put 2000 hours into watching all the films and spinoffs.

Similarly because we had no stakes in any of the MCU we found the cameos and the desecration of Wolverine’s legacy much funnier than someone who thought Logan was cinema and talks about Ant Man films like they’re art. Maybe we’re just not as miserable as others because we popped hard at 

Spoiler

Blade, and Channing Tatum’s deliberately shit Gambit.

Good fun. If you like Deadpool 1 and 2 you’ll like this. If you went to see a Deadpool film and was disappointed at how self referential and fourth wall breaking it was then I dunno what to say, go watch Winter Soldier or one of the other ones that are meant to be good.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, FLips said:

We really enjoyed Deadpool and Wolverine.

Maybe it’s easier to enjoy when you don’t care about the MCU or what critics think. It‘s gory, stupid and full of “look how confusing and abundant this MCU shit is” jokes which I guess is funnier to people who haven’t put 2000 hours into watching all the films and spinoffs.

Similarly because we had no stakes in any of the MCU we found the cameos and the desecration of Wolverine’s legacy much funnier than someone who thought Logan was cinema and talks about Ant Man films like they’re art. Maybe we’re just not as miserable as others because we popped hard at 

Hide contents

Blade, and Channing Tatum’s deliberately shit Gambit.

Good fun. If you like Deadpool 1 and 2 you’ll like this. If you went to see a Deadpool film and was disappointed at how self referential and fourth wall breaking it was then I dunno what to say, go watch Winter Soldier or one of the other ones that are meant to be good.

Spoiler

Channing Tatum played Gambit as he was originally supposed to as far as I can tell which was similar to the 92 version. 

But it’s funny because I don’t consider myself miserable, I don’t consider Ant-Man high art and don’t care what critics think. But I would like to think the film could have learned from the first 2 Deadpool movies (1st was great, the 2nd was the same as the 1st but less interesting and funny) and you know, made some different jokes or actually had a cohesive storyline. Still the opening was one of the best of the MCU and the soundtrack was good. 

• Paid Members

I think Deadpool is very much from the school of "if it's still making money why mess with the formula." they know what people want from the movies and they give it to them. Two hours of stupid jokes, the fourth wall getting broken and taking the piss out of Disney, plus an action sequence or two. 

• Paid Members

I don’t think this idea that Deadpool 3 is offensive to the sickos holds much weight. It has a 97% audience score on Rottentomatoes. If a nerdy property like this had triggered the worst people on the internet it would have been heavily Review bombed by now. 

I thought Logan was great and, for my sins, have watched the vast majority of the MCU stuff and various spin offs (though I have skipped a good amount of the phase 4 dreck) but I still had a lot of fun watching Deadpool and Wolverine. If anything it helped more of the jokes land for me, particularly their acknowledgment of the aforementioned dreck. It’s definitely possible to be an MCU pervert and enjoy Deadpool 3. It seems most of them have. 

I do like the consistency on here of people telling you they don’t like something and they think it’s crap before telling you they still watched the thing. Wrestling fans gonna wrestle fan. The Marvel stuff does rarely elevate itself above the genre though tbf, (at least with the film releases) which is fine because it’s mostly for kids anyway but the Spiderverses and Logan did a pretty good job. I think Logan less so but it still felt like you were watching something a bit more meaningful than the usual cape film. The ripping off of the western ageing gunslinger formula helped as did not being made under the watchful cookie cutter eye of Disney.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The ripping off of the western ageing gunslinger formula

Yeah I think that's why I loved it so much, there was also a lot of Shogun Assassin/Lone Wolf & Cub about it too and it did it well.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I do like the consistency on here of people telling you they don’t like something and they think it’s crap before telling you they still watched the thing. Wrestling fans gonna wrestle fan.

I watch all the Marvel films (yeah yeah) and the only ones I found disappointing in this last few years were Quantumania and this one. I even paid the difference to see it in IMAX because of course if a film is going to be shit I want to make sure I see it in expensive style. As a fan of the first Deadpool and as a fan of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine why would I not go into this one hoping for the best?

The only time I’ve ever gone into a film, knowing it’s going to be awful was Madame Web, and that was to see how bad it was (very as it turned out), otherwise who makes a habit of wasting time and money watching a film they know they won’t like? 

@JLMyou’re correct, most of the bigger Marvel content creators love it, and at the end of the day as long as the film makes money, it’s all irrelevant, just opinions. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Sandwich Bacon?

Just back from Deadpool and Wolverine, put me firmly in the ‘thoroughly enjoyed it’ camp. The cameos were good/great, Jackman was in my opinion excellent and the references etc made me laugh out loud. If you like Marvel/Deadpool/Wolverine you will no doubt enjoy this. 

• Paid Members

I knew Marvel were getting desperate when they got the Russo’s back to direct but fucking hell it’s worse than I thought

At least they popped Hall H or whatever it is, good for them

The run to Avengers Endgame was unbelievably good. We were so lucky to have that. But since then it’s been on a downward trajectory which is getting steeper and steeper. It’s really sad. And now we have this. I can already hear it now - “Doom is a variant of Iron Man, omg!” Or “he’s from this timeline” or “can’t believe we are in that multiverse now!”. Urghhhh I hate it! 

Nuke the whole thing. Start again with Fantastic Four and X-Men 

• Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Did you see this? A nice tribute..

I did, lovely stuff.

Do the Marvel films still open with the "flicking through comics" style intro? All Caps playing over that would be great.

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Bring it

The best thing about this video is the fella audibly guessing 'Jared Leto'  before the big reveal.

It'd be like your mam putting down a mystery dinner in front of you as a kid, and you guessing porridge just before it's revealed as your favourite chippy tea.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz