Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Fuck, had no idea that was happening. Ah well, it's out on BluRay next week any ways which I've already preordered, but would have been to see on the big screen.

As for others, the two part Dark Knight Returns films have been discussed at length on here before and can be bought for quite reasonable money through Amazon.

Year One was really good as was Assault On Arkham. I've had Batman vs. Robin and Son of Batman on a hard-drive for a while but not got round to watching them

Edited by WyattSheepMask

The majority of the DC animated films range fron decnt to very good. I wish I knew about the cinema screenings though, I have been looking forward to this for a while. Mark Hammil is my favourite Joker on screen and can't wait to see him in one of the darkest classic Batman stories.

The Killing Joke movie is all kinds of shit, Batgirl's turned into nothing more than a sex object and it makes the big killer blow from the comic in to nothing more than a whimper. But i'll probably get called a "pussy" by one of the writers for saying that.

• Paid Members

Wasn’t going to post, but I said if somebody asked, I would.

I signed a waiver so anyone who knows me by my name don’t shop me or me poor mate will be sacked!

But I love yiz and trust yiz (except the scrotes who done in Handsome Butch and D-Mal) and the embargo is only until tonight, I believe.

Right lads, it’s very good but it could have been magnificent. It’s a ferocious amount of fun, and it is very, very funny at points but when it gets serious it falls a bit flat. You can feel the restraint that most of the cast and Ayer were under. Had it been R Rated, I’d say it would have been a classic and I’m not one of these “Fuck PG movie” idiots, but you’ll know what I mean when you see it. It’s a hard enough PG, but they could have pushed that rating a teeny bit further...farther(?).

But anyway, brass tacks:

Margot Robbie. See that one? Til it was shooting air! Like pressing down on a bicycle pump with nothing attached to the end of it. Just ppphhhp.

She’ll get her own movie out of this as she is an absolute riot, but I was disheartened to read in the leadup to this, that her bumcheeks were CGI, and it took a lot of good out of the experience for me.

Leto is like a slight step above what you'd imagine a Schumacher Joker to be, like, if Joel Schumacher had rights to the Joker character for Batman Forever.

Halfway between the gothic grit/camp of Batman Returns and the outrageously camp Batman & Robin. It’s not a slight on him, he had big shoes to fill, and when it gets dark (between him and Harley) you can see how good an actor Leto is and how frightening his Joker COULD have been. But he spends a bit too much time walking around like a cross between Ian Brown by way of Freddy Mercury and Hannibal Lector/Lektor and Ledgers’ Joker. He’s good but very OTT, which is grand I suppose, given the material.

Kinnaman is the coolest cunt on earth at the moment. He’s brilliant in this, and I want him in more.

Delavigne is tremendous also. I didn’t expect her to be as good as she was for what she did, and Will Smith was essentially wisecracking Will Smith with a conscience.

I normally cannot stand Jai Courteney but he was really good in this.

Cameos were fun.

And the ending was a bit strange
Give it a 7.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Moderators

Also, because it's DC, a lot of the review aggregator news stories are focusing heavily on the very bad reviews.

Or perhaps because it's a movie that's had a massive marketing blitz for months, and pretty much every review is bad.

This notion that the critics have picked sides in Marvel vs. DC, and the conspiracy that they're in Marvel's pockets might make sense if everyone couldn't clearly see how respectively good and shitty Marvel and DC's movies have been.

This isn't aimed at you, dAz, it just made me think of it. The fury and tantrums in the wake of BvS's shitty reviews seemed to be the exact same bells who were part of Gamergate and livid at lady ghostbusters. So odd. How are those things even linked? But they are.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Jesus, if any movie-reviewing publication can be bought and paid for, it's Empire.

Can't say I'm not feeling a little schadenfreude — the weird hype I've seen for this movie, including people who've bought more than one ticket, left me semi-hoping that it would be total gash. For sake of really enjoying the 80s comic book, I hope it's okay, but I'm going to wait till I'm on a plane or something to give it a watch.

I don't think the critics are in Marvels pockets. I think in the non-critical media, in review aggregator sites that quote reviews and collate Twitter feedback, there's definitely a narrative that 'DC movies are shit. End of.'

They seem to lack any nuance.

BvS was a fucking shitty movie, mostly. Yet it did have some good bits and most reviews acknowledged that. But you wouldn't know if you just skimmed a digitalspy story or something like that.

That SADFLECK meme was a fucking travesty. Every accompanying story would have you believe that he was a shitehawk and he was the best thing about the whole bloody movie.

I'm white knighting Affleck, essentially.

Well Suicide Squad somehow has nearly 6,000 reviews on IMDb giving it a 9.1, so it's obviously the greatest thing ever.

But then these are the same people who've given The Killing Joke a 6.9 because it's not a panel for panel adaptation of the book, so who cares what they think.

People just need to make their minds up and not get lured in by hype.

I'm just hoping they do a decent job of explaining who lesser known characters are and what their motives are as I'm familiar with some characters (Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc Deadshot etc) but not others (Captain Bomerang, Rick Flag, Enchantress...). At the same time I'm hoping that Harley & Joker are more than "woo! We're fucking mad we are!".

I going with a similar stance as I did with Guardians of the Galaxy, and that has fast become one of my favourite films of recent years and favourite comics to read also

Edited by WyattSheepMask