DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I downloaded and watched The Distinguished Gentleman this morning. This was a childhood favourite of mine that I hadn't seen for many years. An Eddie Murphy comedy from 1992 (I think) that never gets mentioned. I wanted to find out if it was a hidden gem, or total shite that wouldn't stand up well to rewatching.

Eddie plays a con man that gets himself elected to congress to make some cash blah blah blah, eventually has a change of heart and decides to do the right thing.

It was good. Eddie is his usual charming self, Lane Smith is great as always. Funny stuff all the way through, and even when it goes for the sappy moral bit it's executed well and stays light. By no means an amazing film but it's well worth a watch.

My favourite scene from that is when he phones up Dick's office pretending to be "Joshua Benjamin of the NAACP", and the hilarious "no AAAAaasians and no natives" and "no gaaAAAYyyys".

Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare

Bland. It's a mystery how this got critical acclaim and an Oscar nomination.

The Dark Knight Rises

The good: Anne Hathaway's unexpectedly great performance, Bane bringing some fun, and the first Batman/Bane fight.

The bad: nearly everything else. The writing is ludicrously amateurish.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

There's the massive plot hole of Bruce Wayne - abandoned, penniless and recovering from a broken back - somehow making his way back from another country and into a Gotham on complete lockdown by Bane. The unnecessary plot twist at the end castrates Bane and makes his death a total afterthought. And the final scene, with Bruce Wayne and Alfred in the cafe, is just awful.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Wreck-It Ralph

Excellent. Really well executed on every level. Kids will love it for the story, the visuals and just how fun it is, and video game fanatics will especially love it for all the references and subtle nods.

Edited by Vice

I'd never heard of this until I skipped over the Oscar thread yesterday, so I searched out a reasonably decent quality version of it on youtube. I thought it was okay. It seemed a bit purposely artsy fartsy compared to conventional Simpsons styles, but still a mildly enjoyable watch. The lack of dialogue kind of took me back to the weird old foreign animation shorts that used to sometimes air on Channel 4 in the early 90's, which often proved baffling (but still interesting) to a young me.

I think the Oscar nomination might actually get this thing more hate than it deserves. True, watching it, I never once thought

• Moderators

I'd never heard of this until I skipped over the Oscar thread yesterday, so I searched out a reasonably decent quality version of it on youtube. I thought it was okay. It seemed a bit purposely artsy fartsy compared to conventional Simpsons styles, but still a mildly enjoyable watch. The lack of dialogue kind of took me back to the weird old foreign animation shorts that used to sometimes air on Channel 4 in the early 90's, which often proved baffling (but still interesting) to a young me.

I think the Oscar nomination might actually get this thing more hate than it deserves. True, watching it, I never once thought

• Paid Members
Bowfinger. It divides opinion however.

On the subject of Bowfinger, is there any chance that Fake Purse Ninjas was homage to Godfrey Ho?

Watched Die Hard 5 this weekend. Where to start? The action scenes were absolutely beautiful, well shot, well constructed and well edited. The scale of them plays out like a top spec video game or a comic book, but they are captured brilliantly, no headache inducing chops or cuts, good CGI enhancement and nice long protracted shots so it

• Paid Members
I doubt many will agree with me, but I saw Cloud Atlas today and fucking loved it. Having already read the book definitely helped with it, though, as did the fact I've got an English Lit degree...

I liked it. I thought the costume and set design made it though.

• Awards Moderator
I doubt many will agree with me, but I saw Cloud Atlas today and fucking loved it. Having already read the book definitely helped with it, though, as did the fact I've got an English Lit degree...

I liked it. I thought the costume and set design made it though.

Yes, I thought the set design was superb - particularly loved Vyvyan Ayrs' (Jim Broadbent) house in Edinburgh for the 1930s section, and Neo Seoul was very well captured (if not quite what I'd imagined from the book).