DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I'm just about to watch Family Plot and I will have completed my project of watching all of Alfred Hitchcock's sound era films. I'd forgotten just how superb Frenzy is as well, easily one of the best British films of the 1970s.

• Paid Members

I'm determined to finally getting round to watching The Offence this weekend. And Deadly Affair, if possible. My Sidney Lumet catch-up was derailed a number of months ago by other movies.

• Paid Members

^ I haven't seen it. It's one of those films that I probably should see but really can't be arsed.

I'm determined to finally getting round to watching The Offence this weekend. And Deadly Affair, if possible. My Sidney Lumet catch-up was derailed a number of months ago by other movies.

The Offence is absolutely fantastic and Lumet was a brilliant director.

Wow. Just been reading up on Sidney Lumet, and found that he directed Treat Williams in a film in the 80s.

There's a connection I'd never have made!

Also, there's clearly a shitload of his films that I've never seen that I love the sound of - The Offense, Q&A, Prince Of The City, Network (already on my list). Why are films like this never on tv?

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I've managed to watch Dog Day Afternoon, 12 Angry Men, The Anderson Tapes and Serpico so far. All great, with 12 Angry Men being my favourite.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Also, there's clearly a shitload of his films that I've never seen that I love the sound of - The Offense, Q&A, Prince Of The City, Network (already on my list). Why are films like this never on tv?

Because TV's shit. Q&A is superb as well, not seen the latter two as yet. Brilliant director.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching The Offence. Bit late to be posting detailed thoughts, so I'll just say this for now: it's incredible. At one point, the tension was almost literally breath-taking.

• Paid Members
Wow. Just been reading up on Sidney Lumet, and found that he directed Treat Williams in a film in the 80s.

Treat Williams was a star around the late 70s, early 80s.

After "The Eagle Has Landed", he seemed to star in a few (just a few) good films there for a couple of years.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

That's his niche for me, really good B/TV movie actor in generally bad films. Him being in a serious film kind of blows my mind.

Re-watched Serenity this weekend, this time with the wife. I know Joss Whedon gets stick around here, but he shows some real directing chops here as well as his usual writing skills. They do a lot with a (presumably small) budget, and you can see the firm hand on the tiller that led to The Avengers being such a success.

Having just got through rewatching the Firefly series, I think it's probably his strongest work. It's not as angsty as Buffy or Angel, or as ooh-clever as Dollhouse, and his slightly strange writing style meshes perfectly with the strange language style they used for the show. You can tell the cast love it too, they throw themselves into it.

A lot of series that get cancelled end up achieving the "cult" status nowadays thanks to the internet, but in this case it's justified - the show just hit its stride when it got cut short.

• Paid Members

I watched Red Lights on Netflix after seeing the cast list. Nothing special throughout, but the end really sucked a fat one and the Toilet scene was laughable. Robert De Niro seemed completely mis-cast here.

Pretty poor on the whole.

• Moderators

Watched American Pie Reunion yesterday afternoon. Don't have much to add on the reivews from the last few pages in here but it was thanks to them that I remembered that this existed and that I wanted to see it.

It definitely delivered. Funny stuff, the characters were still good and relatable (in their own ridiculous way), references to the old gags but they actually bothered to write new ones and a decent story too.