DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Was it the way they kept referring to Quinn McDonagh as "Ye Baldy Bastard"? But yeah, the promos were absolutely brilliant. Didn't know he went all Benoit though.

I've just pissed myself reading that, so very probably. Yeah, i'm sure i read it on here, the young lad who the story centred on.

Link

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

The Watch is of a similar quality to Tower Heist matrix, a good way to pass the time but not any of those involved best film. Stiller plays it straight and Vaughan does his usual schitck but I enjoyed both Jonah Hill and especially Richard Ayoade, was strange seeing him in a film with such big stars. Definitely has a few laughs and gets dodgy when the aliens get involved, wouldn't rush to see it though.

• Paid Members

Watched Black Narcissus tonight. Not bad for an old film. Powell and Pressburger were alright but I'm pretty sure they could have made their films a bit more beautiful. Lazy arses.

Seriously, though. What a film.

• Paid Members

A big odd this question, but I'm looking for an utterly depressing film from the EIGHTIES. Are there any out there? I thought "Rush" (about 2 cops turning into drug addicts. Loved that Clapton soundtrack) was in the 80s, but it was in 1992.

What's the one where Michael J. Fox turns into a cokehead...."Bright Lights, Big City"? Was a bit depressing. Thanks a lot!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

As a long term fan of the franchise, i found Police Academy 5 to be fairly depressing. That the sort of thing you were after?

It's not an 80's film, but if you insist on watching something that will make you miserable, i can't reccomend Bad Guy enough.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

When a local pimp is publicly humiliated by a snobbish college girl, he manipulates her into a life of sexual slavery at his brothel. As he watches her nightly humiliation from behind a two-way mirror, his obsessive desire consumes him while she learns there is no love more complete than her captor's

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Probably the only film i've ever seen that made me consider taking a life by the end of it.

Mona Lisa is pretty grim and depressing.

And I've never seen it, but I can't imagine that My Left Foot is a barrel of laughs.

• Paid Members

I watched Cloud Atlas, a few days ago. I enjoyed it for the most part, although some of the stories were a bit average on the screen. The folk I was watching it with thought it was horrible, though. We all agreed it looked amazing. Particularly, the Neo Seoul scenes were incredibly well done.

• Paid Members

Building up a bit of a backlog for movies now. Next up is The Deadly Affair, then gonna take a break from Lumet and watch East of Eden. Following that, Chinatown. After that, possibly Apocalypto or, if I get my On Demand back, the original Django.

• Paid Members
I saw Chinatown for the first time when they re-released it in cinemas over Christmas time. It was brilliant.. But be warned it is really fucking dark and bleak.

Gets better every time as well. It's a brilliant film, watched it again recently.

• Paid Members
I saw Chinatown for the first time when they re-released it in cinemas over Christmas time. It was brilliant.. But be warned it is really fucking dark and bleak.

Yeah, my sister was covering it as part of her Noir module at uni. Thankfully, she didn't spoil it, but she gave me the same warning too.

The ending is pretty dark and bleak, but I don't know... there's a great shine to the whole thing that stops it being depressing. I think it's Nicholson having an elastoplast on his nose the whole way through that defuses it a bit.

One of my 5 fave movies of all time, Chinatown.