DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I think iv'e said it in here before but Chasing Amy is one of my favourite films, iv'e enjoyed other Smith stuff like Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (loved it as a kid so that likely has a bearing) he's not as good as his fans would have you believe but I think CA has lots of good comedy and serious stuff mixed, got me into Ben Affleck aswell who's started doing quite well for himself these last few years.

• Paid Members
Wasn't sure where to put this. Someone did a brilliant retro-style design poster for The Terminator:

Terminator.jpg

Don't think it captures the film at all, The Terminator is my favourite film ever and it would be pretty easy to do a retro style poster that really did it justice, this one doesn't have it for me.

• Paid Members

I watched Arbitrage, last night. While Richard Gere does indeed cut about in fine suits and blinks a lot, the plot feels a bit like something from a TV film. While there is nothing wrong with it (the cast is good) it's quite forgettable.

Richard Gere, though. Phwoar!

• Paid Members
I think iv'e said it in here before but Chasing Amy is one of my favourite films

Chasing Amy is by far the best Kevin Smith film. Clerks might be his second best script, but as a film, it stinks. Red State is his worst.

What found-footage films have you all enjoyed? I'd like to watch some, ideally not horror (but I'll accept zombie). I've seen Blair Witch, Cloverfield, REC, the shitty Romero one, Chronicle.

ITT: a pair of shitbags.

On the found footage front, I don't know many that are not horror, really. I thought [REC]2 was a great follow-up to the original and Cloverfield was tremendous fun. The Last Broadcast is one I desperately want to see soon, I've heard that's one of the better ones. Are there any non-horror ones?

• Paid Members

I heard wildly mixed reviews about that, but that is more likely to make me to check something out than something just getting great reviews across the board.

End of Watch isn't exactly a found footage film, though. Part of it is, but then part of it isn't, yet looks the same as the part that is. I still don't understand what the point of that was.

I've seen REC 2, Gladders. I liked it quite a bit. I'm not sure of many non-horror ones, but that's what I'm after.

If we're talking about found footage films then i definitely recommend "Troll Hunter" and it's not a horror film, more of a dark comedy/fantasy film but as i say i'd definitely recommend it. I'd also advise you watch it in it's original language(Norwegian) as the English dub version is shite, i'm talking worse dubbing than an episode of EuroTrash.

Troll Hunter is one of the better found footage films, as it didn't have a ridiculously flimsy setup and then continually break its own conceit. Plus it was entertaining as fuck.

I think it's interesting how CGI has differently effected European and US films. In Europe, it's allowed people to do things on a budget that would previously have been impossible, and opened up filmmaking to the imagination.

In the US, it's been used to replace traditional methods of visual effect creation with cheaper, but often less impressive CGI. The money saved is then used to cram EVEN MORE effects into a film, again often to the detriment of the overall piece. Something like Troll Hunter has a very small number of CGI shots and use them to great effect. Transformers is wall to wall CGI, and has the excitement of a rectal exam.

Transformers is definitely less exciting than a rectal exam.

If anyone enjoyed Transformers in more than just the way they enjoy watching the visualisations in Windows Media Player or looking in a kaleidescope, then they're a moron.

I like Kaleidoscopes, they are pretty and don