DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Ricky Gervais - Science

I'm not all that familiar with Gervais' work, but I'm generally on the same page as him when it comes to criticising religion, and some of that stuff on here is pretty amusing. But largely what makes this stand-up so poor overall is Gervais being tasteless and shocking, without being clever or ironic like he seems to think he is.

• Paid Members

Freaks is a fantastic film. The general consensus is now that it's one of the very best of the 1930s horror films. That said, I haven't seen it for years and really should revisit it.

Hobo With A Shotgun is better than all of Gladstone's favourite films though.

Not quite as good as Highlander, though.

Edited by Gladstone Small

Freaks is a fantastic film. The general consensus is now that it's one of the very best of the 1930s horror films. That said, I haven't seen it for years and really should revisit it.

From what I've read on Wikipedia, there were cuts made before its release which are now lost. That's a shame. I'd love to have seen a full length, uncut version as it was originally intended to be seen. I agree though, fantastic film. Much more substance than I expected too.

Full film on VeeHD.

Is that the one where they let the guy from the TV series have a go?

It's more of a crossover between the movies and the show. Lambert's in it as well. There's a fifth film that was made for the sci-fi channel that has the tv show cast in it and it's worse than highlander 2, which is a feat in itself really

Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members

I'm a massive fan of Highlander: Endgame. Seriously, a great film. And I was never really into the TV series (it was at it's peak before we had Sky) so it's not just because of that. Jacob Kell is possibly the franchise's best villain, and considering how much I love Clancy Brown & the Kurgann character, that's saying a lot.

I actually like Endgame as well. I mean it has Donnie Yen, Edge and Damon Dash, the tit, all in there. What an odd ball cast, but you know what? It was entertaining. Crazy to think WCW was still around when that came out. The one after that, which must be the one Pitco's is on about, is absolute shite. That film should be shown in every film school on the topic of how not to make a movie. Endgame I thought gave the franchise some life back in it, but that movie just came along a killed it stone dead.

Still if Robocop can get a reboot, then maybe theirs hope for Highlander fans yet.

The Marine 3: Homefront. Actually, not half bad. Miz is way better at acting than Cena/Ted were. And Neal McDonough makes anything he's in great. In terms of straight to DVD stuff it's better than anything Steven Seagal or JCVD has churned out recently.

I think you could tell they may have run out of money towards the end though, because the finish comes off as really anti-climatic.

Edited by Smith