DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Has anyone seen Winter's Bone? I read the book, which is absolutely fantastic (you'd love it, Bifkin, it's quite Cormac McCarthy) but have never seen a copy of the film version knocking around.

EDIT: it's a coming of age story of a type, that's why I mentioned it.

Winter's Bone is a 2010 American independent drama film, an adaptation of Daniel Woodrell's 2006 novel of the same name. Written and directed by Debra Granik, the film stars Jennifer Lawrence as a teenaged girl in the rural Ozarks of the United States who, to protect her family from eviction, must locate her missing father. The film explores the interrelated themes of close and distant family ties, the power and speed of gossip, self-sufficiency, and poverty as they are changed by the pervasive underworld of illegal methamphetamine labs.
Edited by Loki

Winter's Bone was the film I was watching when this happened:

My front door nearly got smashed in about an hour ago, to the sounds of "OPEN THE DOOR, IT'S THE POLICE!" I shit my pants. I didn't know whether to clear my Internet history before answering it or what. I thought all the ChatRouletting had caught up to me. Started to think of what I'd say to my girlfriend and family, and how I'd survive in the nick, especially the first night spoon-up-arse drug search I'd be subjected to at the hands of tenured inmates.

Answered it and it was two policewomen. They started going on about reports of a disturbance, and didn't seem to believe me that I'm the only person here. In fairness, I was completely on the back foot, terrified and clearly had something to hide. It was only when a bloodcurdling scream came from one of the other flats that they fucked off and left me alone.

I wonder how long the crime will take to turn up on the database.

LIVERPOOL~~~

I don't remember it being great. The main girl, who is the one from Hunger Games, was very good but the story was lacking in momentum and any sense of pace or urgency.

Edited by King Pitcos

Wanted to get people's thoughts on Silver Linings Playbook. It seemed to have been a film to get Bradley Cooper over as a proper actor, but Jennifer Lawrence came out of the awards season even more a star, with her pretty hilarious foot-in-mouth persona. Is it worth seeing? It seemed to be a very generic Hollywood indy that got more praise than it deserved. I've only seen Lawrence in X Men First Class, so it's not the best role to basis acting ability on. Is she any good?

Watched Argo and The Master in the last week. Argo was a very good thriller. With that kind of cast and the intrigue of its roots in an historical event, it seemed like Affleck was just overseeing an inevitable success. I think it would have been that much better without the critical acclaim and coverage. Most definitely an "IMDB film", it highlighted how good television was right now with so many terrific actors from the small screen showing up.

The Master I absolutely loved. What it may have lacked in story direction, it made up for in performances by the top three leads, while some of the shots, were so captivating, I was consciously grinning throughout. Nothing innovative in terms of cinematography, but all in all, just very engrossing and I look forward to watching it again.

Would like to hear others' thoughts.

Edited by Joey Joe Joe Jr

Curse of the Undead (1959). Pretty cool little film this, and (according to IMDB) it was the first vampire / western crossover. The settings crossed saloons and ranches with mausoleums and graveyards, but this was by far more western than it was your typical Universal vampire flick. Even the vampire himself dressed, talked and acted cowboy, rather than Transylvanian beast. The storyline was simple and easy enough to follow, and even though some sympathy is drawn for the vampire, it is still known deep down that he is ultimately the baddie and must be destroyed in order to achieve a happy ending. Quite different from anything I've seen before, and a nice mix of styles without particularly bastardising either.

Watching Curse' as I did, on VEEHD, of course it crashed half way through and I had to wait ages for it to load up again. So in the meantime I headed over to youtube to see what delights awaited me after typing in

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
Wanted to get people's thoughts on Silver Linings Playbook. It seemed to have been a film to get Bradley Cooper over as a proper actor, but Jennifer Lawrence came out of the awards season even more a star, with her pretty hilarious foot-in-mouth persona. Is it worth seeing? It seemed to be a very generic Hollywood indy that got more praise than it deserved. I've only seen Lawrence in X Men First Class, so it's not the best role to basis acting ability on. Is she any good?

She's good but not great. Its definitely worth seeing if you get the chance makes a refreshing change from all those Appatow films that are starting to deteriorate. I've been fortunate enough to watch a few previews lately and they've all been films I'd have happily paid full price for (Les Mis, Robot and Frank and Silver Linings Playbook).

I doubt many will agree with me, but I saw Cloud Atlas today and fucking loved it. Having already read the book definitely helped with it, though, as did the fact I've got an English Lit degree...

"Look at me, I'm so important."

In truth, it

Edited by Mr. Seven

• Paid Members

Hobo With A Shotgun is an absolute pile of fucking dogshit. I hate these new grindhouse films and I hate Troma and I hate films that are Troma homages even more. Fuck off with this shit.

• Paid Members

Troma have uploaded most of their films to Youtube now apart from the more famous ones (Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke 'Em High) etc. All of them are complete dogshit. I used to be a major fan when the old version of the channel "Bravo" showed them all on Saturday nights. Films don't hold up at all, if they ever really did.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

The thing is that I really like Lloyd Kaufman - he obviously loves films and his knowledge of the history of cinema is fantastic, and he's always a good laugh in interviews. I just wish he'd put his energies into something good.

I watched that Father's Day a few months back. It wasn't as bad as Hobo With A Shotgun but it was almost the fucking same. It also had a character called Fuckman in it. Ugh.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
Hobo With A Shotgun is an absolute pile of fucking dogshit.

The Raccoons theme at the end is the one redeeming feature. I found it completely exhausting with the gore layered on yet more gore.

I just sat there completely bored by it. Plus Ricky from Trailer Park Boys was only in it for 5 minutes - easily its biggest crime.