DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Yeah, the trailer looks like a parody of a film so ridiculous & shit it would never actually get made. But it actually has been. After how badly Brothers Grimm did I'm surprised this ever got greenlit, especially considering it appears to be almost the same film.

I made the mistake of watching This Is 40. Try and think of Judd Apatow at his very worst attempting to make an American remake of Outnumbered, and you start to get an idea of how shit this movie is. A likeable enough 1st act, an overly long and meandering 2nd act which just delays the painfully obvious and drawn out 3rd act. Pretty much like every Apatow film, except with every one of his usual sins taken to it's most extreme. The fact it was a sequel/spin-off from Knocked Up seemed pretty quickly forgotten and made the whole film feel like the uninteresting B-story from a marginally better movie. I saw a review for it titled 'This Is 40 (Minutes Too Long)', and I think that may have been overly kind as it felt like it lasted about 3 days.

Yeah, even if you're the most hardened Apatow fanboy the most I can see you getting out of this a not-bad-but-pretty-forgettable couple of hours.

Just got back from watching this, it was a fucking ordeal. I checked my phone about an hour in, only to see the time and realise it had only been 20 minutes.

I dont know what the point in this film was at all, I started believing it was Apatows bad attempt at a Todd Solondz movie, except it wasn't, his characters were just genuinely bad.

Trying to come up with positives is difficult, but I guess Paul Rudd gets the most out of a badly formed character and doesnt take the dialog too far so he at least speaks like an actual human. John Lithgow shines in his one moment of half decent dialog too.

The best thing about this film was the soundtrack, but as most people already have The Pixies - Debaser on a CD somewhere and can easily youtube Ryan Adams, there is no reason whatsoever to see this film, not even Leslie Manns right tit.

All Apatow's movies suffer from not knowing how to be edited and structured properly.

I mean FUNNY PEOPLE had a nice idea, and a pretty interesting first half, then it just goes into a totally different film. In KNOCKED UP, what was the whole point of the Vegas stuff?

• Paid Members

The first half was really good with some interesting emotional scenes and good acting from Sandler as seen in Reign Over Me he can act with decent material, but the whole thing with Leslie Mann just went off in a wierd direction and the focus and intention of the film shifted completely. Like you said it was a missed opportunity to make something really good.

• Paid Members

I watched Die Hard 5, last night. The highlight was a young couple walking in 3/4 through the film and taking a seat behind me, only to realise 30 seconds in that they are in the wrong screening, the lass then spends 5 minutes ripping strips off her man by calling him a "silly cunt" and "fucking spanner" etc. Glorious.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The film itself was really average. It just didn't feel like a Die Hard film, at all, McClane came across as a bit of an arsewipe, suddenly zapped of his famous quick wit (they had him say "I'm on vacation" three times when doing mental shit, it wasn't funny the first time) and his CIA laddy was absolutely brainless. The lighting and the 'ultra-real' shaky camera effect seemed well out of place in a Die Hard film too. Yuliya Snigir is a bit lovely, though.

Definitely the worst Die Hard film, by some margin.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Blackson Jackson

Had to watch This is 40 over the weekend and it was terrible - far too much improv which yielded some very awkward laughs or hardly any most times.

A movie filled with weird characters who do nothing to enhance the movie and are just 'there' spouting their lame ass shitty improv with zero filter.

None of the characters are likeable, Apatows two daughters can't act for shit and are annoying.

His missus is throughly detestable as always and they've taken down poor Paul Rudd with them as well.

I loved Knocked Up, 40 Yr Old Virgin & Sarah Marshall but this was rank beyond belief and the 2 and half hour running time is ludicrous.

Only redeeming bit is Megan Fox playing slutty hoe bag perfectly. 3/10.

Edited by Jas

Fair play. I think I chucked a few thoughts and images on that film in here when I originally watched it, actually. Still, with my memory, anything good is worth a re watch after roughly a year, and feels almost like a new film. There was actually an article in the Bizarre magazine last summer about the evolution of South American horrors, which had quite a few recommendations of films from that scene. I might give a couple of them a whirl if I can dig out the issue that ran the feature.

I have a copy of this sat in my to-watch pile that Dennison Ramahlo (co writer and director of the latter Coffin joe film Embodiment of Evil) encouraged me to buy, really need to get around to watching it.

Yeah, you really should. I found some low quality version of it on youtube, so your experience of the film is going to be considerably better than mine, by the sounds of it. It

I managed to Meet Said Dennison Ramalho at a horror festival last year as he was bringing out this beautiful set of short films

NOCTURNU

Director: Dennison Ramalho | 1998 | 11 mins

LOVE FROM MOTHER ONLY

Director: Dennison Ramalho | 2003 | 21 mins

NINJAS

Director: Dennison Ramalho | 2010 | 23 mins

To say they were amazing is a understatement :)