DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Dredd - Was good, but after remembering how much some people were raving about it on here, I didnt think it was THAT good. Very formulaic, with loads of the action movie cliches fulfilled, but still good fun. Its appearing in all those 'Top 10 Flops of 2012' lists that are floating about, which is a shame, as this was a very good platform to make an even bigger/better film in the future.

Just watched American Movie.

Think it may just pip King of Kong. Very funny and touching with a eerie setting and great bunch of oddballs.

Yeah, it's a great doc, I went and watched Covan afterwards, not sure if North Western was ever released/leaked. He's apparently been working on another film for a while too called Scare Me.

• Awards Moderator

Saw Quartet last night. I have to wonder what made Dustin Hoffman choose this as his first film to direct - a British film set in a home for retired musicians starring Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly and Tom Courtenay - but he's made a great debut. Restrained, refined, easy-going and just plain lovely.

I don't think it'll have much, if any, overlap with most UKFFers' interests, but I really liked it.

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching the original swedish Girl with the Dragon tattoo trilogy, at least the first 2 anyway.

These were the extended editions as well and I must say they were fantastic. I still adore the American version of the first book and prefer Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara as the lead characters, but this was still fantastic. With it being extended there was a lot of content included keeping it truer to the book.

My main gripe was that you can tell from the second film onwards that it was filmed especially for TV as the picture (even on blu ray) was particularly awful.

Also recently watched Life of Pi in 3D. Great film but not as good as I thought it was going to be. Visually it is stunning though and Ang Lee should be applauded for getting that film made.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members
I watched Kill List a few days ago. I had heard a lot of good things about it, but found it a bit 'meh'. Maskell and Smiley are very good in it though.

The ending is also stupid.

Didn't understand the hype myself. Very bleak in a dull way, if that makes sense.

Maskell is a good actor, but woefully miscast in Bonded by Blood, that I watched only recently. Very poor version of Rise of the Footsoldier.