DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

i watched Dredd last night funnily enough, i liked it (3 of the 5 i watched it with didn't), just a 90 minute blast of bleak, black humored, throwback ultraviolence...i had no idea Dredd was partially based Dirty Harry but watching it all i could think of was how much Dredd sounded like Eastwood. I'd watch it again.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen it, however every review I've read - from film critics to horror fans - all slate it. I have some critic friends who have seen it, and they love the same horror I do, and they thought it was a complete waste of time. Certainly not even any appeal on an exploitation level really.

Speaking of horror remakes/reimaginings/relaunchings I am quite looking forward to the Evil Dead remake. A year ago I thought it a disgrace and was up in arms, but it actually looks the business.

I haven't seen it, however every review I've read - from film critics to horror fans - all slate it. I have some critic friends who have seen it, and they love the same horror I do, and they thought it was a complete waste of time. Certainly not even any appeal on an exploitation level really.

Speaking of horror remakes/reimaginings/relaunchings I am quite looking forward to the Evil Dead remake. A year ago I thought it a disgrace and was up in arms, but it actually looks the business.

The trailers have certainly captured my attention and I'm surprised, as I didn't ever want it to be remade or anything.

Seems like one they might actually treat right for once.

• Paid Members
The trailers have certainly captured my attention and I'm surprised, as I didn't ever want it to be remade or anything.

Seems like one they might actually treat right for once.

I think the fact Raimi and Campbell are behind it, and the fact the trailers genuinely and unexpectedly put goosebumps up me, has me pretty revved up for it. 'From the writer of Juno' intrigues me, though.

I think, hopefully, that it'll have some good snappy dialogue as it should. Evil Dead was hardly about the graphics or anything at the time, and looks pretty shit when you watch it now, but Ash at least was watchable. With a good script and the general tone set in the trailers, it should be decent.

Another remake on the other hand - Carrie - has been put back months, and doesn't look like it'll be adding anything new. Seems pretty pointless.

• Paid Members

When the Evil Dead remake was announced I instantly dismissed it as another 'Platinum Dunes' style cash in but everything I've read & the trailers thus far look really promising. There's a pretty good look at it in this months Empire too if you've not seen it already. I'm glad they've not gone down the horror/comedy route & just made it a straight up horror. My only gripe is that in my experience cinema audiences for horror films are usually the absolute worst. Hopefully it's release coincides with some time off work so I can watch it in an empty screen on a Wednesday morning.

• Paid Members
I think, hopefully, that it'll have some good snappy dialogue as it should. Evil Dead was hardly about the graphics or anything at the time, and looks pretty shit when you watch it now, but Ash at least was watchable. With a good script and the general tone set in the trailers, it should be decent.

Another remake on the other hand - Carrie - has been put back months, and doesn't look like it'll be adding anything new. Seems pretty pointless.

Evil Dead 2 is still a classic though. To me, that flick is timeless in it's lunacy.

Carrie is a strange one, and surprised with that Moretz lass taking it on coz it's a dead end role really in this day and age. Could be wrong though...

• Paid Members

I watched John Carter last night, I'd wanted to see it for ages but it was pretty disappointing. It felt like a cross between one of the star wars prequels, prince of persia and avatar.

I don't mind big budget semi flops without much personality but it does annoy me when they're all over the place, John Carter was exactly as I expected in tone but I found it pretty hard to follow, it wasn't very gripping, half the film I didn't really know who were the good guys and who were the bad guys (Except Mark Strong is always a bad guy). It should've been more fun and straightforward - it was like someone had taken away half an hour of important scenes and replaced them with half an hour of deleted scenes that didn't move the story of the characters along. It could've been like a new Flash Gordon but it's more likely to stop a Flash Gordon film getting made.

Also

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He suddenly loved the Martian Princessat the end and they got married? What was that about? They barely got to know each other and they had no real chemistry or intimate moments together, nothing made me think they were falling in love.

Watched a couple of Korean joints tonight. A Tale Of Two Sisters, and Bedevilled.

Won't bother with plots and all that but they are two of the most moving films that have the horror genre tag. So sad and distressing. I was welling up at the end. Fantastic stuff. Two sisters is from the fella who made I Saw The Devil so I knew it would be steady ground, as that films is excellent, even if twenty minutes could have been shaved off.

Watched a couple of Korean joints tonight. A Tale Of Two Sisters, and Bedevilled.

Won't bother with plots and all that but they are two of the most moving films that have the horror genre tag. So sad and distressing. I was welling up at the end. Fantastic stuff. Two sisters is from the fella who made I Saw The Devil so I knew it would be steady ground, as that films is excellent, even if twenty minutes could have been shaved off.

Both are brilliant films, Bedevilled was much more powerful than i expected.

• Awards Moderator

Watched The Dark Knight Rises before.

I don't want to post in the super special thread for fear of being pelted with rocks, but I thought it was, well, alright. I'm not in to superhero stuff nor do I have that much loyalty to the Batman brand so I just watched it as a film with no preconceptions. It was decent in parts, dragged in others and the voices of Bane and Batman were fucking hilarious. I wouldn't watch it again but I also wouldn't say it was terrible. Just another action flick, for me. Er, dunno. 6/10?

EDIT: I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was probably the best performance.

Edited by Frankie Crisp