DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - charming little film that should probably have had more success than Slumdog Millionaire. Fantastic cast and well acted but a shame that even the locals spoke good english.

• Paid Members

Just watched Leprechaun 5: In The Hood. You'd a think a film combining gangsta rap and an evil murderous Leprechaun could not disappoint. And you wouldn't be wrong. This was a cracking silly saturday night watch with a few hilarious lines. The sight of a weed-smoking, rapping leprechaun is still making me chuckle.

Been bombing through some films in the last few days/week

How to Train Your Dragon- Excellent, wasn't expecting much, but suprisingly dark and bleak at times. Reminded me in bits of StarChaser The Legend of Orin.

The Prestige- started off wonderfully and then disappeared up it's own arse SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

when Bale's Wife Killed herself. Was more concerned with so many twists and turns, that it lost sight of what it was and was a cluster fuck of the highest order. The Doubles/Clones and Tesla Bollocks, really distracted what was a great film until that point. and the coda with explaining a magic trick and linking it to events of the film was a poor narrative choice. Shutting the door after the horse had bolted in some respects, just in case you hadnt some how worked it out despite both major twists being 'spotted' all the way through

The Millenium Trilogy The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo etc- Great series of films. Not sure if I prefer the second or third one the best. Yes, completely preposterous in parts, but enjoyable none the less.

Oldboy/ In Bruges- Still not impressed with either on 2nd viewings of both for reasons Ive previously given, and been slated for. Gave them a second chance. Still prefer I'm a Cyborg, but that's okay by Park Chan Wook. Be interested to see how Seven Psycopaths goes though as the trailers have looked good

Airplane/Airplane II- Not seen either in ages. Ok, two isnt as good as the first, but both are great films packed with jokes a plenty.

Next up when I get 5 seconds is Wreck It Ralph

• Paid Members

I have been on a bit of a movie filled few days, so here goes.

The Pirates in an adventure with scientists - If you like Aardman (proper stuff, not the CGI cartoons) then I am sure you'll enjoy this. Some good joke, nice voice acting (even by Hugh Grant) and interesting songs (Flight of The Concords!) 7.5/10

The Dictator - I had heard good things, and I like Sacha Baron Cohen (Yes, even Bruno, but not the Ali G Movie) but this was pretty rubbish all in all. A few funny lines, but none of the set pieces worked for me (other then the helicopter scene). Also the talking into a Vagina scene. ugh! 3.5/10

Carnage - 4 great actors, 1 film, how could it go wrong? By being boring and for a 76 minute film dragging. Not entirely terrible, but expected more. 5/10

The Goon - Seann William Scott in not acting like Stiffler shock! Some good laughs, not funny enough to be an out right comedy, not serious enough for drama. Seems to be a bit confused on what it wants to be, but worth a watch. 7/10.

I have been banned for 2 weeks for choosing the films we watched after subjecting the wife to the two in the middle (even if she also wanted to watch Carnage). Luckily, she doesnt love watching soppy stuff, so maybe alright

• Paid Members

Went to see The Impossible last night. Was harsh at points, and the young lad who plays Watts' & McGregor's son pretty much carries the whole movie on his back and does a very good job of it, at that. Also, Naomi Watts' titties appears thrice - rather randomly, at that - in the movie.

• Paid Members
Was it any good? Almost watched it the other night but thought it looked a bit cheesy and ended up seeing the re-released Chinatown.

Yeah, it's good, sir. I see it's available on the usual outlets now, so deffo give it a watch.

I'm sure I don't have to put spoilers here as it would be kind of like putting a spoiler tag around the title of The Towering Inferno, but when the tsunami hits, it's devastating on all levels. It had me gripped until the final third where it then all of fell apart.

On the drama for 3/4's of the movie, and for that wee lads (and Naomi Watts') performance it was well worth the admission fee.

There are points where the filmmakers are forcing tears into your eyes or swelling up your throat through the score, but that was always going to be the case given the subject matter.

A good solid 3 out of 5, is what I'd give it. Would have been a 4, only for the ending - I felt - was a bit poxy.

Wreck It Ralph

If you are a retro gamer or a gamer in general it's manna from heaven. Fucking brilliant.

If you arent, typical Disney stuff

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Konami Code! Leerooy Jenkins.. I could go on but I wont! Epic Win!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by patdfb

• Moderators
Was it any good? Almost watched it the other night but thought it looked a bit cheesy and ended up seeing the re-released Chinatown.

Yeah, it's good, sir. I see it's available on the usual outlets now, so deffo give it a watch.

I'm sure I don't have to put spoilers here as it would be kind of like putting a spoiler tag around the title of The Towering Inferno, but when the tsunami hits, it's devastating on all levels. It had me gripped until the final third where it then all of fell apart.

On the drama for 3/4's of the movie, and for that wee lads (and Naomi Watts') performance it was well worth the admission fee.

There are points where the filmmakers are forcing tears into your eyes or swelling up your throat through the score, but that was always going to be the case given the subject matter.

A good solid 3 out of 5, is what I'd give it. Would have been a 4, only for the ending - I felt - was a bit poxy.

That makes me wanna see it less.. It's always upsetting to see a film that starts well and has potential go to shit. Just sours the whole experience. Also, it still sounds a bit Oscar bait.

Got to say, I thought Django Unchained was brilliant. I like the original Django so wasn't sure if I'd like Unchained and I'm not really into Tarantino, but I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the Dr Schultz character and I liked the Franco Nero cameo.

• Moderators

When is it out properly? I wanna go see it with my bro before he flies back to Sudan.

I know this is google-able, but what is a good site for film releases generally? You know, something quite comprehensive that can link you in to what cinemas are showing stuff when, as opposed to just the one release date. Does such a service exist?