DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Moderators

I rewatched Dark Knight rises over Christmas because my brother hadn't seen it yet. It was actually better than I remember it being, because last half hour is so shit it wiped the memory of how much I had enjoyed everything up until then. Bane is badass and him getting chumped out is far worse than any of the logical inconsistencies and other problems that the film has.

I watched a couple films from Woyzeck's list recently. Bernie was up first. It was interesting and well worth a watch but I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much had it not been a true story. It dragged a bit in the middle. But given that I generally hate Jack Black he did a fine job.

Also from his list, I watched God Bless America. This was thoroughly good fun. The Kick-Ass comparisons are obvious but it still had plenty of its own thing going on. I was prepared for the total lack of subtlety by the write up otherwise I could see that it might have bothered me.

Oh, I also finally got around to seeing Taken 2 as well. We are all in agreement that Maggie Grace is the worst actress ever, yes? OK good. Well, apart from that this was entertaining enough. Not a patch on the first one but not a massive letdown either. Just more of the same (and unfortunately with a bigger part for Maggie).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Watched Dredd last night. I intended to see it at the cinema but missed it as it only had a short run round here. I really enjoyed it, it was slick & it's short running time meant the pace didn't let up from the get go. Karl Urban was great in the lead role & the plot being contained to inside one tower block meant the relatively low budget didn't end up making the film look cheap. It's a real pity it tanked at the box office as it was a brilliant introduction to the Dredd universe & definitely left me wanting more. Fingers crossed it finds enough of an audience on DVD to warrant a sequel (although I doubt it will).

• Paid Members
Watched Dredd last night. I intended to see it at the cinema but missed it as it only had a short run round here. I really enjoyed it, it was slick & it's short running time meant the pace didn't let up from the get go. Karl Urban was great in the lead role & the plot being contained to inside one tower block meant the relatively low budget didn't end up making the film look cheap. It's a real pity it tanked at the box office as it was a brilliant introduction to the Dredd universe & definitely left me wanting more. Fingers crossed it finds enough of an audience on DVD to warrant a sequel (although I doubt it will).

Great movie wasn't it? I'm a huge 2000AD fan so this is the flick I've been waiting since childhood for. Karl Urban's chin and bottom lip are majestic. And I don't know why by I found Ma Ma to be ludicrously attractive. I love a lunatic moth, me...

The whole thing was ace. I'm really disappointed to hear it's not done well at the box office, it thoroughly deserved to.

There were rumours they might do a tv series next rather than a film; I think that'd be perfect if they can pull that off. Hour-long HBO-style mega-violence.

• Paid Members

I've never read much 2000AD aside from a couple of Dredd books I got from the library in my teens (probably around the time of the Stallone flick) so I had no vested interest in the potential mistreatment of the characters. I can see why it didn't connect with a lot of audiences though as apart from Judge Anderson there were no real characters that you could form an emotional attachment to. Didn't bother me though, I was too busy digging the uber-violence & sheer 'kick-assery' of it.

• Paid Members
I was disappointed to hear it hasn't done well, which I found out on here, I think when Loki said it yesterday.

It did kinda follow the exact same plot as The Raid though. I wonder if that hurt it at all? It wasn't advertised very well, was it?

Funnily enough, Garland's Dredd script was doing the rounds before The Raid went into production. I reckon Gareth Evans took a few notes, to be fair.

It looks like the North American take really let it down:

At the London Film and Comic Con in July 2012, Garland said that a North American gross of over $50 million for Dredd would make sequels possible and that he had plans for a trilogy of films.

Dredd earned $23,056,059 from international markets[8] and $13,414,714 from North America, for a total of $36,470,773.

Yeah they certainly had high hopes for it when they were at LFCC. Urban was really excited about the project, and he/the clips were very well received by everyone there. They certainly felt the project had been done right.

It'd be a shame if it wasn't continued as everyone seemed so enthusiastic about it.

• Paid Members

If they can do a TV Show on the Green Arrow - which personally, I think is dreadful - I'm sure somebody could sanction at least a pilot for Dredd. It's a shame because it seemed very personal to Garland, to the point where he gave subtle shout outs to fans on the 2000AD forums in the actual film itself.

Only good thing for a fan is they made the movie the fans wanted to see, and I couldn't fault it in the slightest. I don't like Olivia Thirlby as an actress, but I genuinely felt for the Anderson character which is a credit to your one.

• Paid Members
Kind of like the Masoods do Jumanji.

That's such possibly the most fantastic summary of a film I've ever read.

Edited by Au

• Paid Members
Kind of like the Masoods do Jumanji.

That's such possibly the most fantastic summary of a film I've ever read.

As long as it's the happy, comedy Masoods and not the family in crisis, Masoods, then I should love this film! Going to see it soon anyways I do believe!

Good article here about Dredd's failure:

http://whatculture.com/film/dredd-3d-5-rea...-box-office.php

If the DVD sales make up the shortfall in production costs, we could still see another film I guess. It's a pity that they got the film so right, but couldn't get bums on seats to watch it.

• Paid Members

Is there any truth to the rumour that Pete Travis was essentially an Alan Smithee, and Garland took the directorial reigns (like Tony Kaye/Ed Norton and Brian Helgeland/Melantine Gibson)?

If it's true, he should have a crack at a film of his own. I've always had a huge kinger for Garland though. Would love to see The Tesseract made into a decent flick and not the slop that Oxide Pang threw in front of me.