What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

There's a 10 part series starting tonight on BBC2 at 9pm called The People vs. OJ Simpson, detailing the whole case. I always try to watch stuff to do with the OJ case, it still puzzles me how he managed to get away with it

Police fucked up the case. If they didn't, he'd be in jail right now.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Awards Moderator

Over the past couple of months I've been working my way through a Netflix rewatch of all of How I Met Your Mother. Right up until about five minutes before the end of the finale when I switched to YouTube to watch it with the alternate ending.

It's utterly unbelievable how much better the alternate ending is. Not even using a Pitcos-esque 8573749201038 style number can convey how many times better the alternate ending is to the one they decided to go with. How the fuck they thought ending the series by killing the mother off and having Ted go after Robin again is totally beyond me, and that's even clearer after watching it all in order without any gaps between seasons. Ted and Tracy, absolutely right, Ted and Robin, completely wrong and that too is even more evident from the rewatch.

Run through the major events of the story, have him actually meet the mother, have the voiceover say "see? Easy. And that, kids, is how I met your mother." The end. Perfect.

(And I love the whole 'if I hadn't done this one little thing' (in this case 'leave the apartment for a few hours') 'then this, this and this would never have happened' chain of fate type stuff too. So it really works for me.)

Anyway, watching it this way has allowed me to retcon my mind so that I can block out the 'original' ending. Alternate ending all the way.

Thus ends my thoughts on a sitcom that ended two years ago.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

There's a 10 part series starting tonight on BBC2 at 9pm called The People vs. OJ Simpson, detailing the whole case. I always try to watch stuff to do with the OJ case, it still puzzles me how he managed to get away with it

Police fucked up the case. If they didn't, he'd be in jail right now.

He is in jail right now, isn't he? :p 

• Awards Moderator

The whole show from episode one was basically a love story between Ted and Robin. It's not a great show and really went downhill towards the end, but the ending was the right choice.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It seemed pretty clear from the early going that they didn't work together, and that point kept being hammered in again and again and again as it went on. By halfway through season 2 I wasn't buying it, never mind season 9!