The Walking Dead Thread * US-Pace Spoilers*

FLips

• Paid Members

After a pretty fantastic episode last night I went looking for a thread and found this -

http://ukff.com/topic/133841-the-walking-dead/

But in this new "no mega threads" era, it seems worth starting up again despite Chest and Astro's opinions on it.

How's everyone finding it? Season 5 has been great so far and last night's episode brought so much to the table. The slaying of the cannibals in the church was absolutely brutal, and Bob screaming "TAINTED MEAT" is the best thing he's ever done.

I was shocked how little the Terminus lot lasted, but it seems they're moving onto bigger things regarding a threat to the group.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been good by Walking Dead standards, but that's still quite bad. The Terminus guy seemed like he was doing a pastiche of a parody of a James Bond villain in a Bond pantomime -- and it wasn't so much the performance as the routine terrible writing. It's a bit unsettling to see these faces from The Wire all in the same episode doing bad acting out of bad scripts. Cutty's alright a lot of the time actually, because he's quiet, but the priest and Bob had some bad moments with breakdowns.

Andrea not being in it anymore is great. I enjoyed the silly death spree Rick and co did on the Terminus people in the church.

• Paid Members

It's been good by Walking Dead standards, but that's still quite bad. The Terminus guy seemed like he was doing a pastiche of a parody of a James Bond villain in a Bond pantomime -- and it wasn't so much the performance as the routine terrible writing. It's a bit unsettling to see these faces from The Wire all in the same episode doing bad acting out of bad scripts. Cutty's alright a lot of the time actually, because he's quiet, but the priest and Bob had some bad moments with breakdowns.

Andrea not being in it anymore is great. I enjoyed the silly death spree Rick and co did on the Terminus people in the church.

I made peace with the acting quality a long time ago so it doesn't so much bother me now. I think while some of the dialogue is naff, there's a great mix of characters and enough cool moments to keep you entertained. The evolution of Carol for example was fantastic, I was chuffed to see her come back and save the day.

Yeah the low point for the Terminus guys was the leader saying there'd be no point begging for thier lives then proceeded to beg anyway. I agree with Cutty being the least weak of The Wire guys but I wish he'd stop acting like Lenny off Of Mice and Men. He looks like he's going to burst into tears every time bloods shed.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Anybody else watch last night's episode then?

Pretty gutted Tyreese is dead as he wasn't really used properly throughout the entire run, but I liked him. Really enjoyed the POV shot in slow-motion though, really well done. 
It's actually worrying how quick a pace they're killing everyone off now though, it's a small group and they seem to have no direct motive other than "keep moving and find somewhere". I much preferred the larger group dynamics of the first few seasons. 

• Paid Members

Actually thought it was a pretty poor episode, besides Tyreese's death, it didn't really seem to have any development at all, unless I missed something really obvious...which I most probably did! Agree with you regarding the size of the group, gave much more option and variety to what was going on etc. I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong further into the series we go.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed it overall as a single episode of TV but it really highlighted the massive problems the show has. The main big one is that the deaths in the show aren't earned. They just happen. Why did Tyrese have to die? What difference to the story does it make? It's almost like they introduce characters just to kill them so they have something to make an episode about. Tyrese was actually a pretty good character too with a lot of potential. How he's dead and fucking Maggie and Glenn the two most boring character on TV are still alive is beyond me. The show just doesn't go anywhere. It's the same thing over and over. When they get to Washington it's just going to be the same thing it always is. Everyone there will already be dead or they settle there and end up getting in conflict with another group and loads of people die. Then they move on somewhere else and walk through the same woods they've been walking through for about 4 seasons. It's so relentlessly grim.

The message of this episode seemed to be that the characters are actually better off dead than than they are alive, so why should we care about them?

I see Glenn dying next, they keep teasing it to a point you think it will happen.

It was a meh episode for me, I was expecting something to build for the rest of the season but nothing really happened apart from the Tyrese death. I assume there will be a new group coming to battle Rick and the others later on in the season

comic/potential TV spoiler

The whole thing with Glenn nearly dying so often is really a nod to readers of the comic. He dies a very, very gruesome death in the comic, and his more than a lot of characters stands out in a comic littered with gruesome deaths, so to tease it so often is really just toying with the comic book followers IMO.

• Paid Members

comic/potential TV spoiler

The whole thing with Glenn nearly dying so often is really a nod to readers of the comic. He dies a very, very gruesome death in the comic, and his more than a lot of characters stands out in a comic littered with gruesome deaths, so to tease it so often is really just toying with the comic book followers IMO.

The burnt out buildings and destroyed town at the end of the episode looks like they might be going down the Negan route. Hopefully not because it'll seem too much like another Governor at this point 

Re: Chokeout - more comic spoilers (quotes aren't working for some reason)

I think we'll see them reach Alexandria over the next few episodes, and it'll end with Carl being shot in't face. Then build to Negan at the halfway point of next season. If done right, Negan won't come across as another Governor, you could see the bones of a good guy gone mad in the Governor, whereas Negan was just an out and out evil cunt

Archived