What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

History may as well be renamed 'Americans buying tack and trying to make a profit on them'. That's all they show. Tonight we have Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Barry'd Treasure (who the fuck thought that was a good name?) and Shipping Wars- all essentially the same programme. Quite a few of the documentary channels have gone to shit.

It's good to see some Silicon Valley love, it's everything i could want from a "nerd" based comedy and Mike Judge is always ace.

I've started watching the X-Files from the very start, not watched it properly and only ever caught the odd episode as a kid. I thought it'd age really badly but i'm loving it, even the episodes that many seem to think were shit (except Space, that's fucking garbage). Tooms has to be one of the best baddies ever, shame he only lasted two epsiodes.

I see the history channel are showing X Files at the moment, ive never watched it and want to give it a go. They have nearly finished season 1 and starting on season 2 soon - Can I dive in now or is it the sort of show you really need to have been watching from the start?

The majority of season one is just stand alone episodes but there are a few you really need to watch that add to the bigger picture.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Mythology will list them so if you can find them online or something i'd say watch them before starting season 2.

Series 2 is where it really gets going. Before that, a lot of episodes are mini-retellings of classic horror tropes, but from series 2 on they start creating their own new ideas and lacing them into their story arc. You can stop again once you get to the movie; the series goes off a cliff straight afterwards.

• Paid Members

The latest episode of The Leftovers is one of the best hours of TV I've seen in years. The actress Carrie Coon is just fantastic. Leftovers is really jumping episode to episode from "hmmm...this is kind of pointless" to "this is amazing". 

On another note I've started The Thick Of It and while I enjoy it I think having watched all of Veep has tainted it for me. I can't help but compare them the whole time and I prefer Veep so much more.

• Paid Members

The latest episode of The Leftovers is one of the best hours of TV I've seen in years. The actress Carrie Coon is just fantastic. Leftovers is really jumping episode to episode from "hmmm...this is kind of pointless" to "this is amazing". 

It was fantastic. I thought the previous episode was great, as well.

The guy who plays Wayne is the guy from Peep Show, right?

Also, for someone who hasn't said a word the entire series, Amy Brenneman has been great.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Moderators

Watched the first 6 episodes of Silicon Valley yesterday and it was fantastic. Gutted I have to wait until the weekend to watch the last two now because I agreed not to watch them without the missus :/

Cheers for the heads up about this show in this thread earlier, whoever it was. Lots of great characters but I think Peter Gregory takes the crown for me.

• Paid Members

I'm on an Olyphantastic buzz at the moment. I watch one ep of Deadwood and one ep of Justified each night.

He's incredible as Seth Bullock, but I also think Michael Biehn would have been wonderful in the role in his pomp.

I love that Olyphant person. His Kelly character from The Girl Next Door is right beside Tyler Durden, Chet, Hudson, Ash, Jeffrey Goines and Handsome Luke in my all time fave characters list.

Olyphant has the warmest loveliest psychotic eyes I've ever seen. Every time I see Josh Duhamel in something I'm disappointed he's not Timothy Olyphant.

So I watched Orange is the new black, both series. It's not worth the plaudits. There's a decent show in there with some really good actors but it suffers terribly from having the most unlikeable protagonist since Ted Mosby and a bunch of other sub plots on the outside that nobody cares about. Nicky Subotka off of The Wire is the best thing in it but for every great little character there's a Jason Biggs (who references American Pie masturbation story the fucking lame-o).

Edited by Mr_Danger