What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Anyone watch episode one of The Strain yet? New show from Del Toro about constipation vampires. Not Twilight vampires, the evil ancient rich vampires that used to be around before Twilight. It's a cut above some of the other genre shite I've seen on TV lately, but I wouldn't go as far as recommending it yet.

I still watch Falling Skies as well, but it's as bad as The Walking Dead. Probably worse, because it's more milquetoast. Such bad, hackneyed writing. I used to like Shawn Michaels in it as well, but he's fairly crap now.

Oh, has anyone seen The Last Ship? When I saw the trailer for it months and months back, I thought it was a parody.

I've downloaded the first of The Leftovers, but I'm not sure I want to delve into it until it ends. Once bitten, twice shy when it comes to that fucker.

Edited by King Pitcos

What's the general consensus on Hemlock Grove? I'm half way through Deadwood and I've lined up Justified and Oz next but the other half isn't as enamoured by westerns and shower rapes as me so I need a buffer to keep her happy.

• Paid Members

i just finished the first season of Underbelly, which was one of those TV series that kept staring at me on Netflix. It's an Australian true crime drama based on an actual bunch of Gangland killings that happened not that long ago. Apparently the show is massive in Australia (each season focuses on a different set of Australian crimes) The fact that it was based on actual crimes is what kept me drawn to it, ive done a little reading on the actual crimes as i've progressed through the show and watched some shit on youtube. Being an Australian production there were of course a few old neighbours staples in it which was quite off-putting, especially hearing good ol' David Bishop say fuck a fair few times, shocking stuff.

I'd recommend it if you're into gangland, gangster type shit.

I'll get onto season 2 at some point but im gonna get on with Justified now because a mate's been badgering me to watch it for some time.

• Paid Members

Continuing my utter love of one off dramas by the BBC,

Glasgow Girls this evening just finished and if you don't mind their being a small portion of musical nature in there (including a pretty good version of Wish You Were Here) I recommend everyone watch it. Didn't have BBC3 down for doing great drama about real subjects and though its based off the true story and the musical they've still knocked it out the park.

What's the general consensus on Hemlock Grove? I'm half way through Deadwood and I've lined up Justified and Oz next but the other half isn't as enamoured by westerns and shower rapes as me so I need a buffer to keep her happy.

Reviews were not positive

It is a shockingly inane misstep, a ponderous mess whose only saving grace are the occasional moments of camp, inadvertent and otherwise, sprinkled throughout. This is the sort of show that would

• Paid Members

finally finished The Following - Season 2... it ended up being a bit of a chore to watch, the season i thought started poorly but peaked and got pretty good around mid-season when they flipped the role of Joe Carroll and almost had him become the good guy in the show as he entered a new cult. The final 3rd reverted back to the formula though and it was pretty bog standard stuff. My main problem with the show though is that all the guys you're meant to root for are such unlikable characters that make so many idiotic decisions that it's just impossible to feel for them, it really hampers it for me.

I figured this would go here...

So I for some reason decided to get into Lost again, I originally watched the first two seasons before deciding "screw this, makes no sense." Skipping all the way til season 6 as I knew it would be the last and wanted to see how it ended. Which means I missed too many episodes to catch up on, I looked for the top 10 episodes to cherry pick them and found the episode 'The Constant' was considered the best. And my god was it amazing, as a stand alone episode I bloody loved it, without knowing how it related to the Lost universe or most of the characters (which I wasn't introduced to properly). Even if you hadn't watched the show, I think you would enjoy it and wouldn't need to know anything about the premise or characters.

My question here is (and yes my long winded approach isn't great) for shows with many seasons, are there any episodes which you can watch where you get the vibe of the show, what it's about and why it's considered great, without having to watch a whole season or so? I guess it's cheating in a way, but I'm thinking something like the Dead Freight episode of Breaking bad (I would also consider the episode Salud) Pine Barrens for the Sopranos (I can't actually think of one for the Wire I would put in here, maybe Boys of Summer?). Where you you can just watch an hour of great television without having to watch the 60 other plus hours. I don't have time to watch every episode of The Shield, Justified and others, but want an epidote to capture the vibe and what the show is. As I find the pilot is usually a completely different tone to how the show ends up.

• Paid Members

My question here is (and yes my long winded approach isn't great) for shows with many seasons, are there any episodes which you can watch where you get the vibe of the show, what it's about and why it's considered great, without having to watch a whole season or so? 

An interesting question.

Ones that come to mind:

"Blackwater" from Game Of Thrones

The "Babylon" & "Pick a number" 2 parter from Carnivale

"Shadow Games" from Spartacus: Blood & Sand

Breaking Bad - "4 Days Out" is probably a good one. You don't particularly need to have watched the rest of the series to understand what's going on, as it's pretty much all laid out in the opening. You also get a good sense of the relationship between the characters, one of those stylish meth cooking montages, and a good dose of humour.

• Awards Moderator

Anyone been watching The Strain? Series based on Guillermo del Toro's vampire novels. First episode's a bit of a slog (still alright though) but the second one's an improvement. Del Toro plays about with a few of the classic vampire tropes in the books and that's transferred really well to the screen. Some of the characters are a bit crap so far, but David Bradley's in it and is his usual excellent self. It'll probably take me a couple more episodes to get properly into it but the second one left me wanting more so it's definitely picking up pace if you persevere past the premiere.

• Paid Members

Yup. To this day the most brutal and realistic fight in TV and probably film history. Some trivia on the fight, the creator couldn't come up with a suitable moment to end the fight until the actor who played Dan told him about a bar fight his brother was in where he was getting his head slammed against a pool table and leant over and grabbed the guys head and...well, you know the rest.

• Paid Members

Anyone been watching The Strain? Series based on Guillermo del Toro's vampire novels. First episode's a bit of a slog (still alright though) but the second one's an improvement. Del Toro plays about with a few of the classic vampire tropes in the books and that's transferred really well to the screen. Some of the characters are a bit crap so far, but David Bradley's in it and is his usual excellent self. It'll probably take me a couple more episodes to get properly into it but the second one left me wanting more so it's definitely picking up pace if you persevere past the premiere.

Episode one was hilariously bad, but I still enjoyed it — reminded me of the kind of pulpy horror epics that were popular in the 70s and early 80s — James Herbert novels, and Baal and They Thirst, by Robert McCammon — horrible tosh, but so over the top that you couldn't put them down. The acting was grim — David Bradley was head-and-shoulders above everyone else — and the dialogue seemed to have been written by children, but I find myself looking forward to getting around to episode two.

Yup. To this day the most brutal and realistic fight in TV and probably film history. Some trivia on the fight, the creator couldn't come up with a suitable moment to end the fight until the actor who played Dan told him about a bar fight his brother was in where he was getting his head slammed against a pool table and leant over and grabbed the guys head and...well, you know the rest.

It's just so exhausting. That whole episode is great actually. Seth Bullock is always a treat when he does his full on angry aspies routine and you can see his stressed Eric vein pounding. Al's blowjob diaries are great but the thing that I love most is E.B beginning any sentence with "As I imagine you..." when running down that grotesque Richardson.