What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator
The Good Wife might be the best show on TV. Over the years it's become so much more than I could have ever imagined. Fleas (Episode 16 of Season 1) was the first moment where it became something more than a watchable network show

...most episodes still revolve around a single case

That's really interesting. I started The Good Wife amid a wave of positive feedback earlier this year but got fed up with the "monster of the week" episodic quality. It reeked of a show with bigger purpose and more important arcs but these never materialised.

However if you're telling me the hand is revealed after ep16 (I got to about 10) I'm tempted to go back and at least finish the first season. Ta.

• Paid Members

The shows grows in scope as the seasons go on, and it gets very big in scope. The hand isn't revealed in episode 16 but that was the first episode where I got the sense that I was watching a great piece of television. Before that point it was a perfectly watchable show in the way network shows are. Monster of the week. The main characters on the side of good etc. Episode 16 is where I think for the first time it realises its potential.

Edited by nfc90210

The Good Wife might be the best show on TV. Over the years it's become so much more than I could have ever imagined. Fleas (Episode 16 of Season 1) was the first moment where it became something more than a watchable network show and over the following four seasons (Season 5 just finished) it has hit that high mark again and again. It's by far the best legal drama I've ever seen. It a show where they aren't afraid to have the characters change and evolve and they are comfortable with the characters being less than good. It's not a show about a bunch of lawyers who are fighting the good fight. Things are nuanced and subtle and difficult in a way that few network shows are. They also aren't afraid to burn the whole thing down at times and for that to have geuine consequences for the characters and the story.

Over the years The Good Wife has been a truly special show.

The New Yorker website has a piece entitled The Greatness of

I've been watching Mixology. Sitcom by the Hangover writers, the series is all set over one night in a bar/club as characters wind in and out of each other's night. It took me a few episodes to warm to it, but I quite like it.

I've just started the last episode, and I have a question: There's a waitress who is giving people their bills at the end of the night, as though they're in a restaurant. Is that how some clubs/bars work? They can be packed with people hammered and moving all over the gaff (and leaving at will) but a waitress is keeping tabs on how much every person/group has ordered and finds them and gives them a bill at closing time? It seems logistically impossible and completely reliant on everyone being honest and lovely.

• Paid Members

Mixology is really hit or miss but it did keep me watching weekly. All the episodes blend in because nothing really happens. I'm on episode 10 but just found out its been canned. Was wondering what they would do for season 2.

Broad City is still the best tv show i've found in this batch of new mid-year tv shows. Did avoid the endless 40 mins science fiction shows though.

I watched episode one of Broad City a while back and hated it. I might give it another go at some point because people talk highly of it but I despised the setting, characters and the look/style of it.

I'm assuming that it's US based. When I was over there, they'd open a tab for me and I'd be steaming by the time it came to settle up. It worked, somehow.

Aye, it's American. They must be a much nicer, more civilised people over there.

• Moderators

Oh my God.

It came out today that Netflix's Daredevil series lost its showrunner, as Drew Goddard left to work on the Spidey movies for Fox. They've hired a replacement already. It's Steven S. DeKnight from Spartacus. About five gallons of spunk have blasted out of my helmet since I heard.

I'm thrilled he's finally getting to do something. Starz really fucked him. He gave them (to my mind), the greatest series ever in Spartacus, which turned their channel from a joke into the home of something genuinely incredible, and they repaid him by sticking his next two shows in limbo. Incursion sounded incredible -- a Halo-meets-Saving Private Ryan show with a female lead where space marines fight in wars against aliens on a different planet each season, but they never committed despite the entire first season being written, and having spent/wasted over a year on pre-production designing all the cool sci-fi stuff. Too expensive, they said. Then he was announced as running an Italian crime show, and spent ages developing that, but that fell into development hell too. Netflix's gain.

• Awards Moderator
Oh my God.

It came out today that Netflix's Daredevil series lost its showrunner, as Drew Goddard left to work on the Spidey movies for Fox. They've hired a replacement already. It's Steven S. DeKnight from Spartacus. About five gallons of spunk have blasted out of my helmet since I heard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goddard put in the word for him - both ex-Buffy alumni.

• Moderators
Oh my God.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goddard put in the word for him - both ex-Buffy alumni.

Yeah, that sweet networking. Which hopefully results in some of the Spartacus guys ending up on Daredevil.

A Steven DeKnight-scripted Kingpin...

Jizz-in-my-pants.gif

One thing that's been bugging me about Hannibal so far (half way through first season) is that it has the look of an ITV original drama. Does the look of the show get any better? Other than that it's pretty good. Mads Mikelson is a fantastic Hannibal and the shows gets stronger with each episode.