What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators
The one where teddy started smoking is one of the most hilarious episodes of that ilk in teen shows.

Is that the one where his mechanic friend takes up smoking and is diagnosed with, and consequently dies of lung cancer all in the space of about 2 days?

• Moderators

Nah, Teddy starts smoking and the boys try to stop him and Teddy's kicked off the team so it ends with them all agreeing to go to REHAB with him (including the coach) and he's allowed back on the team.

I've also never seen the boom in shot as much as I have during Hang Time either.

I think yours might have been Jake in California Dreams, Woy.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
Brooklyn 9 9 is really funny and I don't think it has been talked about in this thread. Andy Samberg, Chelsea perretti, Terry crews and the police captain who I don't know his name but you definitely will know him are all recognisable stars in this laugh a minute cop sitcom.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is probably my favourite thing to watch at the moment. Not a weak link in the whole ensemble. Samberg and Crews are obviously great but I really like Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz who play Santiago and Diaz too. It reminds me of Parks & Rec at its best , just a really positive feeling laugh-filled half hour.

I never was able to fully adjust to the switch from 'Running With This Dream' to 'Running Together!' Hang Time, nor the switch from baby to navy blue costumes, even though in both cases the progression was for the better. I think the 1996 Hang Time just held a real sense of nostalgia that modern 1997 Hang Time can't tap into.

Michael 'choking' a few free throws only to be cured instantly by Grant Hill giving him the thumbs up was its peak. The lowest moment was when I got the internet and googled the girl who played Mary-Beth only to find she'd quit acting and hadn't done any naughty scenes. My mate swore the Internet had naughty scenes of everyone.

Edited by Gor

• Moderators

Yeah, season 1 feels like a completely different programme to the rest of it. Michael Maxwell definitely should have been kept on too as he was only meant to be a freshman, and at least I could believe him most as a baller (ie: black and tall). I also liked Earl from S1.

• Paid Members

Watched Season 3 of Check It Out! With Dr Steve Brule back to back today and that "Children" episode is fucking mental from start to finish. I don't think a TV show has ever made me feel so uncomfortable before.

Brown's Day Care and the bit with Mobin at the end are proper nuts.

• Paid Members

Do you know if the people they have playing secondary characters are just genuinely weird actors? Because if not, it must take a fucking LOAD of work to get someone like Scott Clam down.

I know the guy who plays Terry Bruge-Hiplo played Lord Zedd in Power Rangers, and the homeless man in the Stranger in Moscow music video which is mental when you see him in this giving hot wet kisses to things.

• Moderators
Do you know if the people they have playing secondary characters are just genuinely weird actors? Because if not, it must take a fucking LOAD of work to get someone like Scott Clam down.

Pretty much. Tim and Eric always just cast those oddball LA types who were trying to make it as actors/entertainers, and had them play it straight, generally not even knowing they were in a comedy. There was always a lot of discussion around Awesome Show about the ethics of it, and whether or not it was exploitative, even with someone like David Liebe Hart, who's obviously capable of knowing what's going on, but at the same time, clearly has some mental health issues. I can't find it now, but there used to be an article by some guy who'd hung out with Hart for the day to interview him, and he seemed really mentally unwell, living in filth next door to similarly-afflicted James Quall. At one point, the guy suggests Hart should throw out some cottage cheese in his fridge because it's a few months past its sell-by date, and if he eats it, he'll get sick, a concept Hart has never heard of before. When he returns to Hart the next day, he asks the guy to take the cottage cheese home with him, because he's afraid if he tries to throw it away, he might trip and fall onto it, mouth-first, and accidentally eat it.

There's a brilliant documentary called Public Access Hollywood featuring Hart, where you can see how unbalanced he is.

While I can't find the article, but I found the relevant quote:

We all began to exit David

I have a tendency to give up on shows too early so I'm going to watch the next episode of Penny Dreadful. It seems, expected to be fair, incredibly hokey and daft but I'll give it another week.

• Moderators
I think yours might have been Jake in California Dreams, Woy.

Yeah, you're right. It's (of course) on Youtube. The melodramatic, wildly over the top way these American teen sitcoms dealt with booze 'n fags is my favourite thing about them. Such a huge disconnect between the way teenagers see those things, and how a committee of producers thinks they do, or at least, should. In that one SBTB where someone's drinking at a party, they treat it like they're shooting heroin straight into their bell.

"Anyone knows, kids think beer and smoking is so uncool, anyone caught smoking will be ostracized immediately!"

You can tell smoking and drinking is bad, because the studio audience always goes into a silent hush, like when someone dies in a soap and it's so shocking, there's no music over the end credits.

Remember kids,

Screen-shot-2012-02-03-at-12.55.11-AM.png

A realistic depiction of a drug dealer. It's like the fucking Wire, isn't it? Fuck, I want to write that SBTB book again :(

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Brooklyn 9 9 is really funny and I don't think it has been talked about in this thread. Andy Samberg, Chelsea perretti, Terry crews and the police captain who I don't know his name but you definitely will know him are all recognisable stars in this laugh a minute cop sitcom.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is probably my favourite thing to watch at the moment. Not a weak link in the whole ensemble. Samberg and Crews are obviously great but I really like Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz who play Santiago and Diaz too. It reminds me of Parks & Rec at its best , just a really positive feeling laugh-filled half hour.

Yeah, it's great, I could do without the cliche will they/won't they relationship between Santiago and Jake but apart from that I love it. Great diverse ensemble cast, all of whom have genuinely funny moments all the time with totally natural interaction with each other. Gina has got to be one of my favourite characters in anything for ages. Captain Holt is amazing too, he's a black gay police captain in a sitcom which could be a horribly written stereotype character but they don't go that way at all, he's dignified and hilarious.

Yeah, it's great, I could do without the cliche will they/won't they relationship between Santiago and Jake but apart from that I love it. Great diverse ensemble cast, all of whom have genuinely funny moments all the time with totally natural interaction with each other. Gina has got to be one of my favourite characters in anything for ages. Captain Holt is amazing too, he's a black gay police captain in a sitcom which could be a horribly written stereotype character but they don't go that way at all, he's dignified and hilarious.

Captain Holt pretty much steals every episode. It's great to see him back in a major role as he was equally brilliant in Homicide.

• Paid Members

The Good Wife might be the best show on TV. Over the years it's become so much more than I could have ever imagined. Fleas (Episode 16 of Season 1) was the first moment where it became something more than a watchable network show and over the following four seasons (Season 5 just finished) it has hit that high mark again and again. It's by far the best legal drama I've ever seen. It a show where they aren't afraid to have the characters change and evolve and they are comfortable with the characters being less than good. It's not a show about a bunch of lawyers who are fighting the good fight. Things are nuanced and subtle and difficult in a way that few network shows are. They also aren't afraid to burn the whole thing down at times and for that to have geuine consequences for the characters and the story.

Over the years The Good Wife has been a truly special show.

The New Yorker website has a piece entitled The Greatness of

Edited by nfc90210