What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Watching the new Dad's Army thing - it's done well enough to get the quality of the script across, and some of the casting works, but Kevin Eldon comes off too much as someone doing an over-the-top Clive Dunn impression (which was already gimmick casting in the first place), while the guy they have playing Wilson is pretty dreadful - just none of the smirk or charm of John Le Masurier.

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

while the guy they have playing Wilson is pretty dreadful - just none of the smirk or charm of John Le Masurier.

Haven't seen it (Dad's Army is one of the worst British inventions) but it's Robert Bathurst of Cold Feet fame isn't it? Which I thought was outstanding casting. I imagine he plays exactly the same character. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Haven't seen it (Dad's Army is one of the worst British inventions) but it's Robert Bathurst of Cold Feet fame isn't it? Which I thought was outstanding casting. I imagine he plays exactly the same character. 

It is - physically, he looks the part, but his timing is off more often than not. Le Masurier is the heart of Dad's Army for me, and does so much with a look, or a lingering smirk, that's just absent here. Could be in the (fairly lifeless) direction, though.

• Paid Members

Jamie Oliver fan and doesn't like Dad's Army, you will be shouting BREXIT MEANS BREXIT soon you Big Spuddy Ha'porth. 

The perfect person to play Jones was Mark Heap, but he had already played him in that TV movie from last year, which was very good btw. We're Doomed: The Dad's Army Story, in case you want to check it out. 

The perfect Wilson would have been Bill Nighy, but he was in the Dad's Army film in 2016, which wasn't that good. 

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

doesn't like Dad's Army, you will be shouting BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

I genuinely nearly wrote in my original reply "this show is the main reason we have Brexit". Celebration of British War spirit, everything's better if we identify Germans as inherently evil, reliance on incompetent superiors... 

• Paid Members

Whereas I'd say that Jamie Oliver is one of the main reasons we have brexit. People saw those restaurants that said Jamie's Italian and thought it was a declaration of his nationality, and that if we left the EU we could send the fat tongued wanker back to Rome. 

• Paid Members

Rectify is really fucking good. We're just starting Season 4 now.

Never gave it a chance because I can't stand Aden Young's mouth, but he's won me over.
It's an oddity in that it never really gets going and by rights I should be bored out of my bollocks - I can't explain it - but I can't stop watching it all unfold.

• Paid Members

Just finished season 1 of Cobra Kai, in the nick of time before the free viewing period on YouTube ends. It was brilliant- from start to finish. Probably more due to nostalgia, but if you liked the original movie then you must watch it. 

And what a way to end with Kreese back!

Cobra Kai is brilliant. It's only the second TV show that me, the missus and my son have watched all the way through together. Subscribe to YouTube premium and watch the second season right away, it's even better than the first and starts off from the point mentioned in your spoiler. 

• Awards Moderator

@Magnum Milano reminded me the current series of Taskmaster is excellent. UKFF might particularly enjoy the slow descent of David Baddiel into dementia as he makes the most baffling choices.

You're right too MM, the previous series was just missing something apart from the outstanding blindfolded mobility scooter challenge from the last episode of series 8. I can't quite figure out why that series didn't get going. 

• Paid Members

The trouble with the last series was that it was clear Lou Sanders was both ultra competitive and good at the majority of the tasks. It was also clear Paul Sinha was neither and when it came out during the series that he has Parkinsons it made it quite an uncomfortable watch.