What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I remember seeing David Quantick talking about those shows.  He said while recording one they were on about the show "Dynasty" and they asked him if he could say something about Blake Carrington having blue hair.  Quantick said no because he didn't have blue hair.  After loads of badgering and Quantick refusing to budge, they dropped it.  When the show aired, Quanticks missus was on it talking about how Blake Carrington had blue hair.  One can only assume that Stuart Maconie was unavailable.

• Paid Members

Just looked back in the listings and they've been showing them after a new documentary series about Thatcher's reign as PM. The last three weeks they've shown the 1983, 86 and 89 episodes so they've presumably been crudely trying to tie them in with the relevant Thatcher episodes.

God, 12 years ago now would be 2007 so the equivalent "nostalgia" would be Amy Winehouse, the first iPhone, MySpace and Northern Rock. It doesn't exactly seem like a bygone era.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, JNLister said:

God, 12 years ago now would be 2007 so the equivalent "nostalgia" would be Amy Winehouse, the first iPhone, MySpace and Northern Rock. It doesn't exactly seem like a bygone era.

They were massively parodied at the time for that (I think TMWRNJ had a running bit about it), especially when they brought out I Love The 90s in the same fucking year, all of 18 months after the 90s ended. I can't find the tweet now, but I saw a thing from someone who'd worked on the original edit for those shows saying how they're half the running time now, because they've had to cut out so many celebrities who since became 'problematic'.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Just on 'The Royle Family' I find it weird that it started to drop when Mealey came on board. Its mad, because then Early Doors is utterly superb. Henry Normal probably really helped that First series be utterly superb. Though I do really like the Second series (The Sunday dinner one being my favourite)

Strange to think Aherne was all set to write and be in Early Doors. As much as I think she's a genius, I think it benefited from her not being in it.

Anyway, The Queen of Sheba is exceptional.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Anyway, The Queen of Sheba is exceptional.

I think the last part is. It's poignant and brilliantly acted. It's dogshit before that though. The scene where they're laying the floor being a complete rip-off of the not-even-that-funny wallpapering scene from series 3 really irriatates me. It's just so lazy.

I think the last part is. It's poignant and brilliantly acted. It's dogshit before that though. The scene where they're laying the floor being a complete rip-off of the not-even-that-funny wallpapering scene from series 3 really irriatates me. It's just so lazy. 

Well that's the part I was really referring to. The scene with Barbara doing her hair, the scene with Jim mucking around with her, the whole funeral bit. It's just so well done. I suppose that tends to colour my feelings about the whole thing

On 6/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, PowerButchi said:

I've started watching Ear4ly Doors again. Forgot just how great a sitcom it was. It has the edge over Royle Family for me as regards Craig Cash and Phil Mealey's stuff

this.

it's sensational. one of my favourite sitcoms. so well written.

subtle things you don't catch first time round crop up on every repeat viewing. it's genius.

genuinely bewildering that no body at all is interested in commissioning a third series.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Been watching the latest series of Brooklyn Nine Nine. It has drastically reduced in quality. The writing is much worse, it seems a bit all over the place. They are trying to do a lot of character driven plot stuff that feels out of place, rushed and/or unearned. It still has its moments but overall it's a huge disappointment.

sorry for the DP

I still think it's quite amusing, but there's definitely a bit of Flanderization at play with it now.#

not on a par with earlier seasons but still an easy fairly amusing watch.

I finished season 2 of Dark last night and I'm not quite sure what I make of it, it's much more bizarre than the first and I appreciate a good bit of pretentious weirdness but I'm leaning to thinking that it nuked the fridge just a tad. I'm still eager to watch the final season just to see what the hell happens though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Just watched and really enjoyed the first series of Barry, Bill Hader is great.

I absolutely love NOHO Hank, he just makes me smile every time he does anything.

I’ve been meaning to check it out. Is it a comedy drama type deal? I love Hader but need to convince the wife it’s worth a watch