What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The first season of the greatest TV show you never knew you needed is now free on YouTube for a limited time. 

All of you get COBRA-KAI season 1 watched asap. It is better than every other show you were thinking of watching!

To make easy for you here's the first ep..

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Just started Carnival Row on Amazon. I'm cautiously optimistic about it after episode 1. Even Cara Delevingne isn't terrible in it.

Only thing I have watched her in was the Vallarian film, and she was probably the best thing in it.

• Paid Members

I've only seen her in a small number of things and thought she was pretty bad every time. Though in fairness I didnt see Vallarian or Paper Towns. 

Edit: Having checked seems I only saw her in Suicide Squad. Judging anybody on that film is probably unfair...

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

15 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I've only seen her in a small number of things and thought she was pretty bad every time. Though in fairness I didnt see Vallarian or Paper Towns. 

Edit: Having checked seems I only saw her in Suicide Squad. Judging anybody on that film is probably unfair...

@ReturnOfTheMackYou lied to me.

I watched all three episodes of The Luke McQueen Pilots on iPlayer and they're all hilarious. I'd love a full series of this with each one based on a different type of TV show.

It's very much in the vein on Sacha Baron Cohen stuff where by it's all scripted but the stuff with the public and interviews obviously isn't. They're introduced as "in 2018, the BBC made a series of pilots with comedian Luke McQueen. It was hoped he could become a new face for the channel. These pilots did not go to plan. In The interest of transparency, the BBC has decided to air these pilots." One is an investigative documentary ala Stacey Dooley called 'Britain's Hidden Vampire Crisis', one is a father/son travelogue called 'Sex with my Father' and the last one is a The Bachelor-esque dating reality show called 'The Luke of Love'.

Some hilarious satire on the different types of programming as well as some truly uncomfortably cringy interviews and interactions with unaware members of the public.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06j81h2/the-luke-mcqueen-pilots-series-1-1-britains-hidden-vampire-crisis

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of Carnival Row last night. 

It feels like someone half-remembering a China Mieville book. All big fantasy ideas, but painted in a palette of exclusively grey. Every cliché imaginable, and dripping with the sense that it thinks it's being far more clever than it is. I'm willing to give it a chance in case it picks up once an hour of exposition is out of the way, but it's not got off to a great start.

Considering they're using the Fae/other mythical beasts as an allegory for refugees and oppressed minorities, I'd have liked to have seen a little more diversity in the types of mythical creatures, and the types of people portraying them. Half of them being given "begorrah begorrah" Oirish accents (because they're magical fairy people, obviously) I can already see getting on my nerves as it goes on.

I finished season 3 of The Handmaid’s Tale yesterday. It’s alright, but it’s miserable and narratively haphazard. And there are way too many close ups of June’s face. 

I’ve also watched the first three episodes of The Righteous Gemstones and enjoyed it a lot. Very much the same tone as Eastbound and Vice Principals.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I think every episode finishes with a close up of June's face. 

Season 3 was good, but like you said you never feel like the good ones get a reprieve and the bad ones get their comeuppance. Even though the second half of season 3 had a few bits of justice served, it just never felt enough with all of the depression before it