neil

UKFF Questions Thread V2

Is the WrestleMania pre show due to start at the usual 10pm this Sunday?

9 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Is the WrestleMania pre show due to start at the usual 10pm this Sunday?

According to the network schedule on the app, yes. 10pm- Pre-Show, Midnight-5am - Wrestlemania

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

According to the network schedule on the app, yes. 10pm- Pre-Show, Midnight-5am - Wrestlemania

Good man, cheers. Attempting to plan what time I will need to go for a sleep at, to still give myself time to go out to pick up food and be back for the start of the Pre-show. It's going to be a long night, so a take away is a must I think. 

Am I going mad? I am writing a wrestling quiz and I am sure in the past I came over a titbit that Bray Wyatt got his name from Stand by Me (If not that another Stephen King inspired film) where the radio announcer says "...and this song goes out to Bray Wyatt and his sister Abigail"

I have tried googling to confirm this and I cannot find anything. Have I completely made this up? I am looking at @Astro Hollywood to answer this after his brilliant dissection of the character on his blog. 

According to the man himself @Glenryck Pilchards

"His nickname, as the self-proclaimed ‘Eater of Worlds,’ is a line from Stephen King’s murderous space-clown novel,

It. In it (or, “in It”), Pennywise the Dancing Clown says of himself: “I am the eater of worlds, and of children.”"

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/dissecting-bray-wyatt/

53 minutes ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

Am I going mad? I am writing a wrestling quiz and I am sure in the past I came over a titbit that Bray Wyatt got his name from Stand by Me (If not that another Stephen King inspired film) where the radio announcer says "...and this song goes out to Bray Wyatt and his sister Abigail"

I have tried googling to confirm this and I cannot find anything. Have I completely made this up? I am looking at @Astro Hollywood to answer this after his brilliant dissection of the character on his blog. 

Ive just had a skim through Stand By Me and there’s nothing from any radio announcer dedicating a song to anyone unless it’s hidden under dialogue in the actual scene, so I’m reckoning that to be a wrestling urban legend

Re: WWE owning the trademark to wrestlers names. How much could someone that got released and didn't own their name take the piss on their new name? Could Ryback have gone with Ryan Back? Or Ryebaq? Could Jack Swagger go for Jax Whagger? Or does the trademark preclude this kind of shenanigans?

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Re: WWE owning the trademark to wrestlers names. How much could someone that got released and didn't own their name take the piss on their new name? Could Ryback have gone with Ryan Back? Or Ryebaq? Could Jack Swagger go for Jax Whagger? Or does the trademark preclude this kind of shenanigans?

Well Eugene wrestled on the independent circuit as “U-Gene”, and Hornswoggle now goes by “Swoggle”.

8 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Well Eugene wrestled on the independent circuit as “U-Gene”, and Hornswoggle now goes by “Swoggle”.

Ahh, didn't know about U-gene, thanks. 

21 hours ago, hallicks said:

It honestly just depends whether WWE gives a fuck or not.

Technically stuff like U-Gene, Swoggle or GoldDustin infringes their trademark because they are clearly trying to pass themselves off as the characters they portrayed in WWE. That's the important thing - the characters not the names. Hall and Nash never said "We're Razor and Diesel" but the implication, and their mannerisms, were enough for that lawsuit..

The flip side of it is, if WWE DOES give a fuck then there's very little recourse for the wrestlers. Cody Runnels surely has a legitimate claim to the name Rhodes, and it would almost certainly hold up in court, but it just isn't worth the legal costs - or the heat -  for him to fight it.

The ones that I find to be pretty scandalous are cases such as the Dudley Boys, where they used the names before even coming to the WWE (i.e the company didn't even come up with it), yet they were still stopped from using it in TNA.

WWE bought up all ECW intellectual property rights, though, so they still owned the Dudleys name as it had belonged to ECW.

The Dudley name and gimmick were around before Bubba and D-Von too.

It's Paul E's fault anyway, he told the pair they could have the name but did nothing legally to set that up.

Anyone know anything at all about Luca Franchini, the WWE Italian commentator who looks like a proper hard bastard & is heavily tattooed?

Obviously WWE aren’t quite so bothered about their foreign language guys being telegenic as they don’t get so much camera time, but he still looks quite different to the other guys when they do that rundown on PPVs, so he interests me.

2 hours ago, Statto said:

Anyone know anything at all about Luca Franchini, the WWE Italian commentator who looks like a proper hard bastard & is heavily tattooed?

Obviously WWE aren’t quite so bothered about their foreign language guys being telegenic as they don’t get so much camera time, but he still looks quite different to the other guys when they do that rundown on PPVs, so he interests me.

Ripped from auto translated Italian Wikipedia

Luca Franchini started his television experience as a wrestling commentator in September 2000 with the World Championship Wrestling on Stream together with Michele Posa . From the following June 2001 he commented, always with Posa, the episodes of the WWE TV shows . Since September 2003 the duo has passed to the newborn Sky , where his fans know him with the nickname "Il Godzilla ". Together with Posa on Sky, he conducted the weekly "Zona Wrestling" container until the summer of 2009. Still in television, he participated in several sports broadcasts produced by Sky Sports, including 10 (2003), Mondo Gol(2004), DX Generation (2005 and 2006).

Franchini has collaborated on several commercial initiatives related to wrestling in Italy, including DVD series such as WWE Wrestling Megastars and WWE Wrestling Megastars - Greatest Hits , which in the years between 2005 and 2007 recorded sales for over 1.5 million pieces. He lent his voice to some commercials including that of Pepsi and WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008 . He also commented and presented numerous live wrestling and kickboxing shows . Together with Michele Posa he published books 100 years of wrestling (2006) and Around the ring(2015). The latter traces the fifteen years of career with anecdotes and curiosities related to the world of wrestling.

On the occasion of the recording of the first episode of Raw in Italian territory ( Mediolanum Forum , Milan , April 16, 2007), he made the comment on the show in world vision, always with Posa, alongside the historic American couple composed by Jerry "The King" Lawler and Jim Ross . [1] The same happened during WrestleMania 31 ( Levi's Stadium , Santa Clara , 29 March 2015), also repeating the following year at WrestleMania 32 ( AT & T Stadium , Dallas , 3 April 2016), it is in 2018 at the Mercedes Benz Superdomeof New Orleans for Wrestle mania 34 .

In December 2013 he also started commenting on the darts game for Fox Sports as regards the circuit of the Professional Darts Corporation , of which he commented on two world championships (2014-2015) and numerous international tournaments, including the World Cup of Darts (2014), the World Matchplay (2014) and the European Championship (2014).

He is a fan of Inter [2] and Varese [3] as far as football is concerned, while in basketball he is a fan of the Philadelphia 76ers .

Also caption contest...11083746_10206471768777123_5794476223545

Edited by bigfoote
Add photo