UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

14 hours ago, eugenespeed said:

It's a well known story that Vince put on the first Survivor Series in order to run it against Starrcade 87 and threatened PPV companies that if they chose Starrcade they wouldn't get Mania IV. 

My question is, did many companies say "screw you Vince" and run Starrcade? If so, did Vince stay true to his promise and block them from getting Mania? 

I think it was literally a few. Two in the Carolinas and one in San Jose. Regardless, all were allowed to carry Wrestlemania.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:50 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

How far back does the Wrestling Observer Newsletter digital archive currently go back? 

EDIT: No worries, found out. Currently goes back as far as February 1, 1988 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: The first Royal Rumble up against Bunkhouse Stampede. But they randomly only have three issues up for 1988, then it jumps to 1991.

Is anyone aware of any reason why the Observer archive has that gap? I'm sure it was only a few years ago the 1988 issues were released, and it's good to read the "new" 2001 issues but it would be nice to have more of the old issues from the territory days released.

On the latest Botchamania there seems to be clips of a hardcore match between Jimmy Havoc and a women. Maybe I’m being weird but I felt a bit uneasy even watching those brief clips. I don’t know how anybody could ever want to see a man even portray being so violent towards a women. 

Does anybody know what show I am talking about ? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

On the latest Botchamania there seems to be clips of a hardcore match between Jimmy Havoc and a women. Maybe I’m being weird but I felt a bit uneasy even watching those brief clips. I don’t know how anybody could ever want to see a man even portray being so violent towards a women. 

Does anybody know what show I am talking about ? 

Vs Jinny at Riptide if it was recent. Although it begs the question why you want to know. You liked it, didn't you?

Not particularly jjust seemed like something that wouldn’t fly in today’s social climate. 

Although the camera work looked fantasitic . The way it was filmed look almost cinematic in some ways. Very different looking. 

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members

He'd be shite. I think commentary is something that the longer you're away from, the worse you get. Having said that, he'd obviously be up to date on the product and would know it's direction. JR has been awful the last few times I've heard him on WWE TV, so my guess is Vince would be something similar at his age. I liked Vince on commentary as well. In my household he is very fondly remembered for his time at the booth.

• Paid Members

Go to SummerSlam 1991 on the WWE Network. 2 hours 26 mins and 46 seconds in, there's something weird said in the background. It's a VT of Savage and Elizabeth in the ring with Mean Gene, when suddenly you can hear somebody say something along the lines of "somebody's going to get mad about a cover up of murders?" Did I hear that right? Has anyone else noticed this before? I don't know what the fuck it was or where it came from, but needless to say, it's a little strange. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it probably isn't what's said, I'm sure. It's like hearing a song and picking up the lyrics wrong and then you can never hear anything else. I can't make it out properly and am unsure of exactly what's said there, but you're right, it does sound like Vince. 

• Paid Members

Daniel Cormier absolutely loves pro wrestling. Think he's gone to WrestleMania a couple of times and regularly references wrestling in interviews and even during his live colour commentary sometimes. He was recently marking out on the UFC show in Calgary because someone came out to Bret Hart's music for a cheap pop. He loves it. He's meant to be retiring from MMA in March. I wouldn't rule out him doing something with WWE at some point but doubt it'd be anything beyond a one-off. 

Cris Cyborg has recently said she'd be up for doing a match with Ronda Rousey in the WWE as they had a big feud in MMA but never ended up fighting because Rousey jacked it in when she got battered. But again, it'd be nothing more than a one time thing and I can't see it happening anyway. 

Can't really think of anyone that would do it as a full-time thing like Rousey is doing though. And the ones who might be interested are probably lesser name fighters lower down the card. So WWE probably wouldn't be so into them anyway because there aren't many in MMA with the name recognition, marketability and desire to graft at getting good at pro wrestling that Rousey has.

You'll probably see the occasional crossover but that's about it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It's hard. Assuming these guys would even want to put the time in, which I doubt, but for the sake of it...

Going on look and pure physical presence you'd be hard pressed to find better than Yoel Romero, Francis Ngannou and Paulo Costa. If you don't know them, Google images will show you why Vince McMahon would be erect for that lot. Problem with them is Romero is 41 now, despite being a freak athlete and awesome amateur wrestler. And they would all suffer with the language barrier. 

There are guys who could probably do something personality wise like Colby Covington who'd be a natural heel because he really is a complete cock. He's talked about wanting to go to WWE and I read he did something with Impact (did he?) but he's such a knob I don't take much notice of him. 

Here he is with some other prick;

hL8F1o.jpg

But Covington doesn't have the best look and he'd probably be a headache to deal with just by virtue of him being a massive willy. 

The one who's springing to mind as a blend of look, personality and charisma is Derrick Lewis

wBxfME.jpg

He's a big lump. 6ft3 heavyweight, looks intimidating, cool ass deep voice and can be funny as fuck as well. Problem with him is he gets injured a fair bit, he's got some issue with his back. And he'd probably end up seeming like a shit knock-off Mark Henry. 

These are just UFC guys though. There might be others out there. And you have Matt Riddle who crossed over and I've heard nothing but positive things about.